1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Crawling my primary domain vs regular domain?

Recently ran into a question regarding the way that I have my hosting set up.

I do web design for a variety of small clients that I host on my go daddy account. Currrently each site is set up as a directory on the server under the primary domain. So if you typed in a broswer the primary domain and then the folder, you can hit the site. Something like this:

www.primarydomain.com/fitnessexercise (domain would be www.fitnessexercise.com)
    www.primarydomain.com/accountantsite (domain would be accountantsite.com)
    www.primarydomain.com/artist (domain would be artist.com)

Now, my question- Will google crawl the site as www.primarydomain.com/nameofsite (which I obviously don't want) or will it use the domain name for its crawling?

Should I use an .htaccess to ensure this?

All suggestions are appreciated!
  3. Philip@SearchBenefit.com
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Talking

I reread this a couple of times and I have trouble understanding where you are asking. What is a "regular domain" as distinct from a "primary domain"? What do you mean by "you can hit the site"? Are you saying there are redirects from the subfolders to other domains? If so, what kinds of redirects? If you hope for a technical response you need to be technically clear. Please try again!
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

If you want google to crawl your sites using "www dot fitnessexercise dot com", then you need to add more backlinks to "www dot fitnessexercise dot com" instead of adding links to "yourdomainname/fitnessexercise".
  7. Orange Dolphin
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by jrod11
    Recently ran into a question regarding the way that I have my hosting set up.

I do web design for a variety of small clients that I host on my go daddy account. Currrently each site is set up as a directory on the server under the primary domain. So if you typed in a broswer the primary domain and then the folder, you can hit the site. Something like this:

www.primarydomain.com/fitnessexercise (domain would be www.fitnessexercise.com)
    www.primarydomain.com/accountantsite (domain would be accountantsite.com)
    www.primarydomain.com/artist (domain would be artist.com)

Now, my question- Will google crawl the site as www.primarydomain.com/nameofsite (which I obviously don't want) or will it use the domain name for its crawling?

Should I use an .htaccess to ensure this?

All suggestions are appreciated!
    I have also re-read your question several times and as PhillipSEO said - Your question is not cleared yet. I will try my best to answer your question based on your given info.

I assume you are currently doing web design for your clients as "demo" stage. You have doing it under your domain and got them separated by subfolder. You will transfer the files from each subfolder under your domain to client domain when the work is done. Do I understand correct?

www.primarydomain.com/fitnessexercise -->www.fitnessexercise.com

www.primarydomain.com/accountantsite --> accountantsite.com

www.primarydomain.com/artist --> artist.com

If yes, Googlebots and other search engine bots will crawl your website as you understood (www.primarydomain.com/nameofsite). As long as those files and folders are contained under your domain it will be like that. Unless you have transferred all files into the host specific for that domain.

However, I have seen some hosting can sync between subfolder and the domain to work together.

ie. When you type "www.fitnessexercise.com" then it will display as "www.fitnessexercise.com" but use the files from www.primarydomain.com/fitnessexercise. I am not sure what is this setting called but it may help solve your problem.

You may consider to ask your hosting company about this and see if they can get it done for you.