Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Could you help me to get higher in the search engines ?

Hello How are we all,

I have a site that has jumped quite high in the rankings over the last year or so, if i add a new page of content i get listing in the top 15 uk.co or worldwide within a few weeks so google must like the site.

For the likes of baby shoes, products and advice im in the top 5-10, and for words like clothing and clothes all with baby or babies, infants and so on i get from 12-20, i do have loads of 1st place keywords but not the ones i really want.

I would love to be 1st or top 3 but am finding this hard if not impossible as all my competitors have hundreds if not thousands of back links and have been up and running for over ten years, we have only been going the past 18 mts and only really working on the site the past 8 mts of that.

So what would you suggest i do to improve my search engine position ?

Kind regards

my site

www.jellybabys.co.uk
    Last edited by jellybabys; Sep 24th, 2006 at 02:03 PM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

It is a battle of links. Get links from other sites that are in your theme.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  5. B afraid.. B very afraid!

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    A bit of clarification: get additional themed backlinks... yes. But, for the backlinks to be the most effective, the text in those backlinks should be keyword rich. Additionally, that text should not be one set phrase. Those text anchored backlinks should vary in content so that the backlinks do not all contain the exact same phrase.

Comments on this post

• incdeveloper agrees : yep!!
    • EGOL agrees : thanks for the addition
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  7. No Profile Picture

Thank you

I thought you was going to say that, the other sites have so many more than i have so i have a long way to catch up, thanks for the pointer about changing the wording to the content link, i did know this but find it hard to apply when it comes down to it as i get 50 offers every week and some dont even offer just copy my front page content....

Cheers
    Last edited by jellybabys; Sep 24th, 2006 at 04:09 PM.
  9. Search Engine Obsessed
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

It's ridiculous that the SE care so much about backlinks. IMO the structure of the website should matter far more but it seems its links links links
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by SEOmaverick
    It's ridiculous that the SE care so much about backlinks. IMO the structure of the website should matter far more but it seems its links links links
    I totally agree, i have 50 times more useful content and spend hours and hours working on the site so it good for the customers, but back links is what the search engines want and this could be the one thing that stops me beating them as they have been going for many more years, how unfair but thats life
  13. B afraid.. B very afraid!

It used to be almost entirely content, but that too was not fair. Volume of content does not equal quality or relevance. The best indicator of that is to have relevant sites, without a reciprocal link, give you a link. One-way non-reciprocal links from relevant trusted pages are the most powerful method in driving your pages higher in the SERPs. Just links of any type does not have near the affect. Focus on finding sites that "want" to link to you. If they do not "want" to link to you, think about adding content that will achieve that end result.

A truism: If your site is not a site that others "want" to link to, you will always rank lower in the SERPs than the sites that others "want" to link to.
  15. No Profile Picture
    EGOL

I believe that google is starting to evaluate pages based upon site visitor actions such as time on site, SERP clickthrough, bookmark rate, maybe even adsense yield. They should have their heads examined if they are not using this data.

Comments on this post

• SEO_AM agrees : Google, to push the envelope and stay ahead of Yahoo & MSN, has to continually seize the initiative.
  17. Roll the dice.. and live

Originally Posted by EGOL
    I believe that google is starting to evaluate pages based upon site visitor actions such as time on site, SERP clickthrough, bookmark rate, maybe even adsense yield. They should have their heads examined if they are not using this data.
    Hi EGOl - Is this an opinion or have you seem some type of quantative or qualitive evidence to base it on.

Because if you are correct this will be the biggest change to seo for a long time IMHO.

It would suggest a webmaster should design a page that attempts to prolong visits and internal click through.

The adsense yield theory - how do you see this working?

Very intersted in the reasons for you views.

Regards
    Live the moment
  19. B afraid.. B very afraid!

Egol can answer for himself, but it only stands to reason that data collected by Google will be put to use. The data referenced is user data. What better to use rather than dumb backlinks. It will likely be a major part of site relevance in the future. Sorry, but I am not aware of any data or reports that says it is in current usage. But if it becomes a reality...
  21. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by gazzahk
    It would suggest a webmaster should design a page that attempts to prolong visits and internal click through.
    That's precisely what you should do irrespective of whether Google is using this kind of data or not.
    Sussex Barn Dance
    The Hokey Cokey - is that really what it's all about?
  23. Roll the dice.. and live

Originally Posted by john alphaone
    That's precisely what you should do irrespective of whether Google is using this kind of data or not.
    Not necessarily. It depends on what you are selling. ie The main desire of my main site is really to generat a phone call. I have articles etc but ..... as soon as person sees the services i have and finds phone number email adress the site is not really serving that much of a function. Whereas my new site is mainly a magazine therefore i would expect people to spend much longer as it will/has lots of quality unique content articles on it.

But I guess you are wright in general .... Although having adwords on your page is in itself a way of shortening the time a person spends on your site.
  25. No Profile Picture
    nix
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by gazzahk
    Hi EGOl - Is this an opinion or have you seem some type of quantative or qualitive evidence to base it on.

Because if you are correct this will be the biggest change to seo for a long time IMHO.

The adsense yield theory - how do you see this working?

Very intersted in the reasons for you views.

Regards
    i dont know about egol and seo_am, but IMO i have seen the evidence snicker around in the for of google search toolbar where MOST people dont even look at the advanced features where a person can vote good or bad for the pages. [those yellow and blue smileys].
    ALSO, google toolbar users are asked at the time of installation wether they would like to send google anonymous information to help improve search technologies, THIS is the information which is collected in form of various data regarding the actions a user makes on the serps page.
    this is found in the "options" tab in the google toolbar listed in the "more" tab as => help google improve by sending user statistical data to google.

^^thats your answer^^

as for :
    if you use search engines, you shoud understand their concept. they crawl the web by finding one page, and keep following links, from one link to another and from that link to 3rd and from that to the 4th.
    so search engines THRIVE on backlinks, you have to understand that it is not an option for them, it is a NECCESSITY.
    anyway if you visualise a web where search is induced in a manner where backlinks AREN'T the most important thing, but still carry weight as to ;ets say 1%, imagine how long a search engine would take to find your webpage in the internet universe with just help of your content, and however good your content maybe, how do you expect a search engine to find it without something linking to it?

i would say that if a search engine is to follow on the rule that backlinks are not important, but have to be included int he algorithm, on average a website would be crawled ONCE IN 6 MONTHS[you do the math]

i would definately wanna hear more on my opinion hope this helped you all
  27. No Profile Picture
    nix
    Contributing User

if even 10% of google users have the send google statistics option on, imagine in a criteria of 1 million users they get so much data per day!, whereas we know many millions of users actually use google.

also i just had to add this in the question posted by gazzahk
    it is the aim of all webmasters to get potential buyers to spend more time of website so that they can convert that potential to sales. and about internal clicks, wouldnt you want your website visitors to browse within your website?

so its not just a search engine thing, its common understanding
  29. Roll the dice.. and live

Originally Posted by nix

it is the aim of all webmasters to get potential buyers to spend more time of website so that they can convert that potential to sales. and about internal clicks, wouldnt you want your website visitors to browse within your website?

so its not just a search engine thing, its common understanding
    It depends ... Converting to sales does not necessitate the attempt to stay longer. In some circumstances the opposite is true. If the site is complicated and the user has to spend time searching for simple data you may loose the potetial customer. ie is it better to have your phone numebr on front page or should you make the person click again to find numebr. i know myself i get very frustrated using a site where i have to search for the data i want.

I question weather the creation of a model that tries to get people to view more of your sites pages in order to increase your site rank.

But this is not really the question i am asking. Because i abslutley agree if making people stay on your site longer becomes a criteria for improving rankings than i will design my site differently. At the moment my main focus is ease of use and abilty to find appropiate information quickly. Thus is there evidence for this criteria helping serps?

Thanks for your thorts
    Last edited by gazzahk; Sep 25th, 2006 at 12:49 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: