1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Core update changed serp layout

The core update seen last week has dropped my website position for our best performing kws.

Loss of 2/3 of traffic mainly from a new layout of serp now containing

Ads
    Shopping ads
    New authoritative publications talking about our products
    Video carousel
    Map (non relevant )
    Recommend searches
    Then two of us selling the product way down low.

This is a version of an earlier serp layout seen late last year. G switched it up to a more relevant result page which was working well for me and the comp.

Have any of you seen a drop in position and traffic due to a new layout serp as described above rather then just being out ranked?

Are any of you still seeing dancing?

* edited my post as my ramblings was too much for some apologies it must of been the sangria on the beach
    Last edited by hunter86; Aug 8th, 2018 at 09:47 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

It may have to do with your search term(s).

I am not seeing any detrimental changes.
  5. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I highly doubt a wp core change has anything to do with a drop in your rankings.
    You should try looking else where
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I’m not so sure what google is doing in my nichè as all of us product providers have lost our ranks to major publications talking about our products with weak articles.

I understand their authority, It just a funny serp as the search results now show information sites before any of us. It even shows you recommended searches before us providers.

In my opinion this is a bad move.

My logic now thinks in time our users will modify their search phrases to “buy blue widgets” rather then just “blue widgets”. I hope so as all variations and synonyms of “blue widgets” we still dominate.

Our niche is so small the simple “blue widget” phrase was the highest converting.

I see Mary writing about EAT. We have got 3 negative reviews on Trust Pilott but we are still 8/10 and sit prettier then the comp.

Currently we have dropped from around 4K per week sales to 1.5k. This is with a 48% traffic loss.
  9. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Ad carousels, 4 pak ads, suggested searches... all part of the serps for a very long time.

Originally Posted by hunter86
    Currently we have dropped from around 4K per week sales to 1.5k. This is with a 48% traffic loss
    This sounds to me that your site has incurred an algorithmic penalty. This does not happen due to a so called core change to Google's Serp Layout.

Share the site, share the search term. If you don't want to share in public, then send by pm and I will take a look.

Again, this sounds like a penalty, ie you have triggered an algo.
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Aug 9th, 2018 at 08:46 AM. Reason: spelling correction
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Just an update to my situation. My ranks have recovered mostly so no algo penalty as I am still top out of us providers. Our serp result design has just been modified which although may have been the norm for the rest of the interweb, for our niche it was not.

It is still the news papers that get the top spots, videos and related searches So we are way down the fold. I have sent the info to Danny and John at the big G and reported the serps to Google feedback to see why the news publications get the money shot. I know why, they just got this wrong. They are clearly articles from a jounalist who has been paid too!

As always with Google it is all smoke and mirrors and this update clearly had a number of agendas to confuse the hell out of us. I been in the game 9 years and I would still put my money it is links. A mass cull or devalue. Any serious business has most of the house in order when it comes to technical and on-page. Links are still the daddy!