Thread: Copyright issue

1. Modsky
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Copyright issue

has anyone heard anything about googlers taking offence to reproduction of the origion stanford paper by page and brin? I am still writing my tutorial and in it I have provided the actual thesis submitted by the boys, you think they'll be mad I did provide sourcing acredidation etc so I dont think its a problem but I just wanted to double check to make sure that I dont sued
    Webmasters who spend their energies upholding the spirit of the basic principles [Of Google] will provide a much better user experience and subsequently enjoy better ranking than those who spend their time looking for loopholes they can exploit. Google.com

Real Estate
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Seo Guy - as with most forms of written publication you should be safe as long as you only use small amounts (eg maybe a short para) of text in quotes and acknowledge the source either a proper citation of a document eg author, title, and journal name or publisher or url if appropriate.

don't take large slabs (eg multiple paras pages etc) of a document without permission as you would be likely to breaching copyright even with citation.

a rewrite of the meaning of something in your own words is totally acceptable but again an acknowledgement of the source of the concept you are writing about is required. Thats an intellectual property issue.

as for providing the entire thesis - how have you done this as a download from your site ? - or copied into the text - not sure about the first but the second i wouldn't do - a link to where others may find it may be safer and a discussion on the points you are making about it in your own words would be safe.

look forward to seeing the new tut.

A
    Last edited by anthroa; Aug 18th, 2003 at 06:36 AM.