1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Conversion Tracking

Does anyone have any suggestions for tracking conversions for both organic search referrals and paid listings? In the past I've used the free tools provided by Google and Overture or just plain old log analytics to track my SEM campaigns. But I am quickly realizing that I need more than these free tools can offer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Brian
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Depending on your setup you could always create ppc_filename.php and link all ppc engines to that page. The idea behind this is to not link this page anywhere except into the site.

If a visitor comes from ppc they go to the ppc file and from there (depending on setup) you can track that person all the way to a sale from the original point of interaction (the ppc specified file)

Tracking organic results will depending on your logging and analytics for carrying results around with the user if the equal a sale.

If this isnt what you were lookin for as far as an answer, re state the question into things you would "like" to have as opposed to the entire question in general on how. If you are currently doing it there might be a way to plug in a few things and get the rest done that you need.
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Thanks for the info didjital1...My initial thoughts were that I should probably develop a program from scratch as you suggest, but I am interested in some general comments on what techniques/programs/software other people are typically using to track conversions before I invest the time to create a script from scratch...