1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Content Syndication

Hi,

If i need to build an aggregator, and if iam taking content from different sites and putting it on my web without any modification or re-writing, than:

1) Is there any way to acknowledge the source of content and prevent my site from being penalize for duplicate content? This will come under content syndication?

2) If there is a way to acknowledge and Iam acknowledging the source of content, will google give me the same serps or not?
  3. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

In short

1) No
    2) No

Expanded

1) No, but if you link to the source and use a citation tag it will likely be seen as a reference rather than a blatant copy. Search engines will always treat the original, first indexed content as the origin source and consider it the most authoritative.

2) Definitely not, you will not get the same SERPs just because you copied some content. It is theoretically possible that a site with copied content and very strong back links would out rank or compete strongly with the site with the original content but I don't know of any practical examples of this. A common thing on these forums is that people post a title, subject or keyword in their niche and the thread out ranks their site. This is just due to the link power of the forum though, not because of the copied content.

In summary - copying and duplicating content is not a good thing if you want to rank well in search engines.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks tstolber

I got your point and it make sense too.. I can invest that much human resource to write or re-write the content and auto-rewriting techniques also don't work.. so i will find some other technique and will discuss

Thanks Again
  7. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

NP. auto rewrite is not effective for conversions. Read up on Levenshtein Distance Analysis (LDA) and duplicate content. The golden rule in SEO has always been that your content should be less than 70% duplicated. You can use LDA to determine how different it is. That is a start - but as you eluded to, I would invest time in generating quality content.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You should look into the idea of content curation. Many blogs (look at Lifehacker for example) do this: they write a small editorial blurb or opinion and then quote a small portion of off-site content with a link.

Of course, it's a better strategy to build search engine traffic with original content, but curated content can keep visitors returning for updated content.