1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Considering changing my home page title and content.

I am considering changing my homepage title and content. I would like to change everything to a more competitive keyword, but am afraid that in the longrun it may not work out the way I would like it to. The keyword it is targeted around now, is in the top 10 for it's term and it does bring in money. I am stuck between leaving it where it is, and moving to a better term. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice before I do something like this? The term is relevant to the current and would draw the same type of visitor, I just think it would bring in more traffic in the long run. Outside of initially losing traffic, what other things would I need to be aware of with regards to doing this correctly.

Thank you.
  3. rubik's cube - 34 secs
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Why dont you just build another page on your site and target your new keyword/phrase?

Or Just target another phrase with homepage as well as the one your already working on. Some say you should not do this, but ive never had a problem ranking for multible terms from one page - assuming links are in place.

Dont be scared to try new things with your page just because your currently having a few visitors. Make a note of how the page is currently set up and go for it.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by marcO
    Why dont you just build another page on your site and target your new keyword/phrase?

Or Just target another phrase with homepage as well as the one your already working on. Some say you should not do this, but ive never had a problem ranking for multible terms from one page - assuming links are in place.

Dont be scared to try new things with your page just because your currently having a few visitors. Make a note of how the page is currently set up and go for it.
    The web site does have pages that target the keyword I have in mind, but I can not break the to 50 with that page, I have linked it to other relevant pages with PR 5 or better, the content is unique etc. I was thinking that because the home page is one of the strongest pages on the site, that it may fair better than the sub page.

What I was going to do it target that specific keyword, and clearly link the sub page (i have an anchor text link already, but was thinking about using that as a more info content page).

I am not sure if that would defeat the purpose or not though.
  7. Contributing User

The way I understand it, if you change your keywords to something completely different, google could re-sandbox you. I don't know how close the keywords you are using on your subpages are to the main page - you may be alright since the keywords/subjects are already on your site, but just not concentrated on the main page.

I would think hard about changing this, since you say that it is bringing in traffic and $$. If it wasn't bringing in $$, i'd suggest there's no harm in trying. But if you are thrown in the sandbox for another 8 months, is it financially worth it? I'd just keep plugging away at what you have, or maybe create a new site with that other term, linking the 2 sites together somehow.

Just some random thoughts to think about... I'm no SEO expert, so any input from others of what I said would be helpful.
  9. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I agree with the previous two replies...

If you have already targetted the new phrase on another page, try to get some incoming links to that page with your "new" target phrase... that should do it (after all - that's what makes your home page "stronger").
    Last edited by ClickyB; Dec 22nd, 2005 at 08:58 AM. Reason: 'cos my typing sux...
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

I have never seen or heard of a site being sandboxed again because it changed the content of 1 page. Sounds like another SEO myth, probably created through a game of telephone.

As for what to do in the situation in question, you have 2 reasonable options:
    1. target the current keyword on a 2nd-level page that has some weight and use the home page for your hardest term.
    2. stick with your current setup and find a way to make the 2nd-level page targeting the harder term more powerful (e.g., have every page on your site link to it and get lots of external links to it.

I would probably go with number 1. In fact, i have done this several times, though I had always planned it in advanced so the lesser term I was originally targeting always contained the harder term I was planning for. If that is not your case, it will be harder, because the backlinks you have won't help much from an anchor text perspective.

Comments on this post

• Chatmaster agrees : Good, solid advice!

"Live never to be ashamed of what is written about you. Even if what is written is not true" -- Richard Bach

Yahoo Store SEO