1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Is this considered spamming?

I appear to have several back links coming front random directory sites from search terms that are completely irrelevant to my niche. For example: addurltosearch.com is a free web directory and my site shows up for 47 different search terms, some of which have absolutely nothing to do with my niche. Is this considered spam? Could this be hurting my rankings? I'm researching all of my back links and trying to better understand what a bad back link is and what is considered spam. Also, I've worked with a couple different SEO companies over the years and these type of back links which I'm referring to were created by a cheap SEO company
  3. No Profile Picture

It is hard to say if this is spam...

Your question is hard to answer it could be spam... How many links were your SEO company building each month? Is there thousands of links on your Webmaster tools pointing to 1 of your pages? Are any of them side wide? Its difficult to say if you have more specifics let me know and I will help you.

Matt
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Matt Whiteford
    Your question is hard to answer it could be spam... How many links were your SEO company building each month? Is there thousands of links on your Webmaster tools pointing to 1 of your pages? Are any of them side wide? Its difficult to say if you have more specifics let me know and I will help you.

Matt
    I believe they were adding a couple hundred back links per month. I currently have 4,000 total back links reporting in webmaster tools. Of those there are actually 400 unique sites. There are several occasions where a site has multiple back links pointing to my home page. Some of those are good sites like youtube, pinterest, etc. and some are from directory sites with PR 0 like the one I mentioned above. My concern is the fact that these directory sites have my site listed for search terms like, how to make money, IT solutions, etc, which have absolutely nothing to do with my craft niche.

Another question is if the back link is coming from a site that has been deindexed by Google for spam practices, would these back links be considered bad and worth taking the time to remove?
  7. No Profile Picture

The best way to determine if Search Engines are looking at your links as spam is to assess the behaviour of your key terms in the SERPS.

Typically if any of your main key terms drop to page 3 or worse they have been penalized by Google (taking into consideration they were on page 1 in the first place)

If they moved to the top of page three (positions 21-24) then you have a problem. Do the reconsideration request and tell them your concerns, sometimes they can be helpful and point you in the right direction even if it isn't a link problem.

Search Engines take into consideration over hundreds of other ranking factors when evaluating your site it may not be a malicious link profile.

To answer the question about the Bad neighbourhood linking to you it shouldn’t be a problem unless there are lots of links coming from bad neighbourhoods; in that case the boat has been tipped in the wrong direction. You see this kind of link building worked for years, I used to work for an SEO company in the UK who built the same kind of links for themselves and they are still on page 1 for the term “SEO”. However, Google hammers people for building too many links these days (link velocity) and evaluates the relevancy and naturalness of a link so we all need to be careful now.

I would look for side wide links or cross linking between similar c-blocks, these will shoot you in the foot if you don’t have any of these try looking at other avenues.

I hope this helps

Matt
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Your SEO company might be building hundreds of backlinks in a month. From a single site, there might be multiple links pointing to your home page. The backlinks prove helpful if they are coming from a good site. It your are building enormous backlinks in short time duration then it might be considered as spamming.