1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Confusion over Template Word Count should equal Content Word Count

Hi,

I watched Andy Jenkins 'Double Content' video and understand everything (I think) except for where he said that your template word count should equal your content container word count. Can someone explain 1) why that is so and 2) what would happen if my content had a 'higher' or 'lower' word count.

Thanks so much, Debra987
    Last edited by debra987; Nov 16th, 2008 at 12:21 PM.
  3. End game expert
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by debra987
    Hi,

I watched Andy Jenkins 'Double Content' video and understand everything (I think) except for where he said that your template word count should equal your content container word count. Can someone explain 1) why that is so and 2) what would happen if my content had a 'higher' or 'lower' word count.

Thanks so much, Debra987
    Template word count from what I understood are the number of words excluding your exact page content. This refers to the navigation menu and template related stuff like alts in the headers for example.

Now the reason why the template number of word count should be ideally similar to your exact page content word count is to reduce % similarity across all pages in your domain.

For example if you have 10 pages all having the same template and there are around 100 words in the template (template word count). Now if you have only 30 words in it. There are 130 words total,

Assuming you have other pages, again with only 40 words of exact content. The total words is around 140.

The approximate % similarity between pages are :

Total number of words similar/the same = 100 + 100 (total words in your template) =200

total words analyzed = =130+140 =270

% similarity = 74%

For your second question, if you actual content (not the template) comprises a bigger amount in the page, the % similarity will go down thus making your page more unique.

Otherwise, if the actual content is few, your pages are highly similar and Google bot could hardly find unique content across your pages.
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Smile Thank you!

Originally Posted by Emerson
    Template word count from what I understood are the number of words excluding your exact page content. This refers to the navigation menu and template related stuff like alts in the headers for example.

Now the reason why the template number of word count should be ideally similar to your exact page content word count is to reduce % similarity across all pages in your domain.

For example if you have 10 pages all having the same template and there are around 100 words in the template (template word count). Now if you have only 30 words in it. There are 130 words total,

Assuming you have other pages, again with only 40 words of exact content. The total words is around 140.

The approximate % similarity between pages are :

Total number of words similar/the same = 100 + 100 (total words in your template) =200

total words analyzed = =130+140 =270

% similarity = 74%

For your second question, if you actual content (not the template) comprises a bigger amount in the page, the % similarity will go down thus making your page more unique.

Otherwise, if the actual content is few, your pages are highly similar and Google bot could hardly find unique content across your pages.
    Thank you - this is VERY helpful! Debra987