1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Confused about backlinks

Hi everyone,

This is my second time posting here and I'm hoping someone can give me some suggestions about backlinks. I have a blog, a twitter account and a facebook account to promote my website and I've heard that these are helpful. I checked several different backlink checkers and they all say that I have zero backlinks on google. I can't understand this as I have seven on yahoo and bing.. Plus, my blog, twitter and facebook accounts do appear on google when I search for them. My website is www bowsbymaude dot com. Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help me understand this

Thanks, Maude

Comments on this post

• saajan agrees : really nice qustion
  3. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Social networking sites as mentioned, do not give you a 'real' link. The links are nofollowed and although it's a link, you're not getting credit for it via Google.

The links you're talking about will not make a difference. You need to focus on quality link building.
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  5. No Profile Picture

Wow, it seems like google really wants to make it hard for people, or maybe it's to make it hard for spam sites. Either way, it's not easy for an amateur. I would like to get more links but the only way I could think of to do this is to email webmasters who have similar sites to mine and ask them if they want to exchange links. Is this something that people do, or is it considered bad etiquette?

Thanks, Maude
    Last edited by bowsbymaude; Jan 5th, 2013 at 09:50 PM.
  7. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

It's not bad etiquette, but it can be a lot of work for a few links. But it is one way. You should go through the stickies in the link category. You might find something helpful there.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by joshz
    Social networking sites as mentioned, do not give you a 'real' link. The links are nofollowed and although it's a link, you're not getting credit for it via Google.

The links you're talking about will not make a difference. You need to focus on quality link building.
    Agreed; social media accounts work for building a follower base, but not necessarily for backlinks, depending on the service in question. Contact other sites in your vertical and try to build links that way; think guest posting, etc.

Comments on this post

• joshz agrees : Good post. Welcome the forums. I hope you stick around.
    • JivingLive agrees : Correct me if I'm wrong, but using social media like twitter is a good way of getting a link indexed quickly, no?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Social networking sites and blog will definitely help you to get traffic but for backlinks you need to put in more efforts. How rigorously are you promoting your blog?
    Here are few tips for promoting your blog, (this will definitely help you earning quality backlinks)
    - Submit to RSS directories
    - Promote them on social networking sites
    - Promote them on forums and communities of related niche
    - Promote them on blog directories
    - Promote your blog by commenting on others’ blogs
    - Link out to other bloggers via emailing and social networking
    - Participate in blog carnivals
    - Start a podcast show
    - Use the link to your blogs in email signatures
    - Create reciprocal links
    - Link building
    - Link baiting
    - Guest blogging
    - Blog commenting
  13. Contributing User

I have absolutely contrary situation - a lot of backlinks but absolute zero of traffic and don't know what to do with this

Comments on this post

• NathanielB : Start by opening your own thread instead of crashing others! That way people may help you!
  15. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Maude as well as checking the stickies as mentioned above, you may find this thread interesting and helpful to finding other ways to earn quality links http://forums.seochat.com/link-popul...es-450572.html remember, any link that's free generally is worth as much as a link that you have to work for!
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Building Link by contacting webmaster is very very daunting task. As said above it can be extensive hard work for just few links. One way i had been gaining quality link is by contacting my web developer company explaining about my requirement. Basically web developers has huge number of client database and they are close enough with the site owners to get the deal done within a short time. I managed to find at least 15 website owner within same niche. It helped me a lot getting traffic.
  19. No Profile Picture

there are many online backlink checker those are fake, use google webmaster tool to check incoming backlinks to your website

Comments on this post

• JivingLive agrees : Good to know
  21. No Profile Picture

Thank you all so much for the great advice. I really do appreciate it and it helped clear things up a whole lot

Maude
  23. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by joshz

i have a software to build link automatic on forums. what happen to my site if i use it ? Does Google hate my site and sandbox my site ?
    Ps: some case has a good position on Google result when thay use software.

<snip>
    Last edited by dzine; Jan 9th, 2013 at 02:36 AM. Reason: URLs not needed
  25. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

i have a software to build link automatic on forums.
    That's a waste of time and it's spam.

Comments on this post

• JivingLive agrees