Thread: Completely lost

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Completely lost

Back in 2008 I started my web design business, learnt what I could about SEO and ranked well for a number of geographic search terms.

Roll on to about three years ago when I move geographic area, I attempted to add a few more landing pages and at that point it went wrong.

We have only ever got work from Google, so to us its important to rank well.

We are now in a situation where we are not ranking as well... (this means we are less visible and get less work etc..)

So on-page Moz, ibp and seo profiler all think we are ok and off page we have more links and MOZ thinks both page and domain have more authority.

But even though all the signals look great, we dont seem to be able to move forward.

Specifically for the home page we want to rank for 'web design dorset' (in the uk) for the homepage.

We were ranking the bottom of the top ten and was advised to remove a load of the footer links (these went to other landing pages), doing this has not improved things, and I would say reduced the rank of all the landing pages including the homepage.

Im open to suggestions, but I really don't know where to start now.

The other change we made was to change the mark up to something more HTML5 friendly, but again this has not really had any effect. (literally zero..)
  3. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Paid search
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

For what we charge for sites, that model would not work.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Just emailed support for SEO Profiler, with the response (we don't know, maybe Google has a bug..) Only thing I can think of is that Im being penalised because the site is too clean. (It just looks artificial..)
  9. Digital Marketing

Is your business in Dorset?
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by Toxitalk
    For what we charge for sites, that model would not work.
    This is a very common mistake regarding paid search.

If you spent all the time you spend with SEO making websites for customers and you get to know how to use paid search effectively (not tinker with it) you may find it is very cost effective0

This aside are your pages all marked up correctly with Structured Data?.
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by Doodled
    This aside are your pages all marked up correctly with Structured Data?.
    Just looked at it and answered my own question - no you don't.

But you do say on your Website that you know how to do SEO. Don't you think that's a bit .......
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It is now, it used to be based in Oxfordshire.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

To be honest I ranking clients sites well, its just with this one instance I don't understand how a competitor is doing better, when on the face of it he is doing so much wrong.. And I think no matter what your skills are, its always good to have a situation that challenges them so you can learn.

Re the structured data comment, non of the top ten have anything like that so I'm discounting that as a factor for me at the moment. My perspective is that SEO is on page and off page and these two things give you your serp for a specific page (for what ever search phrases google sees that page relevant for).

For on page - I am not convinced this is the issue as my markup is generally a lot cleaner and for other landing pages, its not really an issue.. If the issue is off page (which I sort of think it could be), then Im really looking to understand on the basis that's happening. And my other thread is looking at that..
  19. Digital Marketing

It is now, it used to be based in Oxfordshire.
    You want to rank for Dorset Web Design but you are not a Dorset web design company. Although competition in your country us minimal it's still going to be difficult.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I am now based in Dorset (Portland near Weymouth and have been for the last three years.)
  23. No Profile Picture
    Retired from SEO
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

I am now based in Dorset (Portland near Weymouth and have been for the last three years.)
    Now if you have the physical address then get verified it first from Google listing and also Yelp is a better platform as you can interact with the client as they add reviews.
    See below links and try to contact them if they allow for you trade in your local area

https://www.gov.uk/find-local-trading-standards-office
    https://www.ukecc-services.net/ukpbata.cfm
    Moreover, I am sure there are more sites or local authorized directories where you can list your site that will help you to generate your business you just need to figure out those platforms.
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.