1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Competitor analysis

Hi guys, I havenít done any serious competitor analysis for quite a few years now so just wondered if someone could refresh me on a point. If I look at the top top position for a search phrase and analyse its back links, should I only be focusing on the trustflow and citation flow of the external links to that page and that of the internal pages that links to the page? Or should I be looking at the site as a whole, how large it is, how relevant the site and categories are that contain that page?

Cheers

Mike
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by phatmike10
    Hi guys, I havenít done any serious competitor analysis for quite a few years now so just wondered if someone could refresh me on a point. If I look at the top top position for a search phrase and analyse its back links, should I only be focusing on the trustflow and citation flow of the external links to that page and that of the internal pages that links to the page? Or should I be looking at the site as a whole, how large it is, how relevant the site and categories are that contain that page?

Cheers

Mike
    Thats a pretty significant question..

Your question is beyond the scope of my answer, but I'll say it anyways. Remember that google PR is per page and per domain. So back links that go to seochatdotcom/kmasters.html (if there were such a page) get the link juice on the page, but the domain it self seochatdotcom/ gets part of juice also. Canonicalization changes that methodology going forwards, but not backwards. The domain will always get some of the juice. If you ever use a PR addon and see the red and green backgrounds, that means something. I'm 80% certain red is page itself and green is domain pr. So overall, look at the site as a whole. Unless you plan your attack against one particular page of theirs.... other than their index page.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo