Thread: Competition

1. shuffle up and deal
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Competition

Hi

Just trying to get an idea of the strenght of competition for a key word. The site in question has thousands of internal links (50000) but when i check for links not from that domain its just 1500 which is very achievable.

How much weight does Google give to internal links?

Is this worth persuing or will the strength of the internal linking be to high to compete?
  3. Smoke me a kipper...
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Internal links are important, but in order for those links to have any inherent value to pass on then there must be external back links to the site which themselves pass value.

Of course, judging the strength of a site purely by the quantity of back links is never wise. It could be 1500 back links from strong government and education sites in which case it'd be much harder to outrank the site compared with one that had 1500 back links from freebie directories.

Comments on this post

• tstolber agrees
    ... I'll be back for breakfast
    New to SEO? SEOChat SEO FAQs
    Forum Rules and Posting Guidelines
    URL canonicalization code solutions
    Vigorously pursuing the floccinaucinihilipilification of cheap SEO tricks
  5. shuffle up and deal
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Thanks Jagnet

So what else can i do when trying to decide if a keyword is competing for. I dont want to spend months on it to find that it probably wasn't a correct call?
  7. Smoke me a kipper...
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Personally, I tend to take a less exacting approach to keywords. I'll build sites based on topics I'm interested in. Within those topics will be many primary keywords and even more long tail keywords, some of which will be obvious search terms, others you discover through your own stats which in hindsight are obvious ones to aim for but at the time didn't occur to you.

Having established a foothold in the niche you're then in a better position to determine for yourself which keywords are worth devoting more time to developing, and which aren't. Most tools are wildly inaccurate at determining the worth of keywords, which given the complexities involved is no great surprise. Any tool would need to accurately measure the number of searches per month both now and into the future, and how those searches stack up in terms of revenue; and the level of competition (based on themes, titles, back link numbers, back link quality, etc). In other words, short of introducing psychic abilities into the tools, it's not going to happen any time soon.

Keywords that generate revenue may not even be obvious from your stats. By dominating a niche across many different search terms there's a good chance that you'll get your site infront of potential purchasers at various stages in the purchase process. The more times people see your site, the more they come to trust it. As trust builds up, the more likely they are to go to you when the time comes to break out the plastic. Of course, some niches are more prone to spur of the moment buying, but often the purchase process is conducted over several visits.

Being number one doesn't necessarily have to be the main target and you don't always have to actually beat the competition for a particular search term. If your main competitor has a poor page title, and your site has one that's much more attractive to potential visitors you could even get more click-throughs than them. Likewise you could devote 90% of your budget to beating them for that one keyword, whereas if that money/time was spent increasing the range of keywords within the niche that you rank for you could actually generate more income.

Finally, who's to say that the competition will always be there. They could make some poor business decisions (such as spending too much of their budget targeting one particular search term) and go bust, or screw up their SEO by changing their site and destroying their ranks, etc, etc.

In answer to your question then, yes I'd go for it anyway even if you're not certain beforehand whether or not you could surpass the competition, but all the while keep an eye on the bigger picture.

Comments on this post

• lewisdb agrees : Jagnet yet again a considered responce!
  9. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

When I am considering a new area to compete I pay almost no attention to the links. Instead, I decide if I can beat their content.... because, if you can beat their content then you can beat their links.

Comments on this post

• SEO_AM agrees : ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!
    • lewisdb agrees : again grat advice thanks
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL