1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Competing against well established yet poor quality website

Hi, so here we are

I have my website (which is "yoyo (dash) france (dot) net") that I created a few months ago. We are working hard to publish new and original content very often (2 writers, at least 2 new articles per week, often more)

it's based on wordpress so I have the SEO plugin, urls are rewritten to be SEO friendly, I'm trying to do my best about SEO

we have some links in a few directories and from relevant (yet foreign) websites.

there are only two websites on this subject in my area (which is france), the other one is very well referenced since it's been here since several years ago, yet the content is fairly poor (trying to be objective here, see for yourself, you'll find it easily on google) and the site is not SEO optimized in any way.

We don't have the same objective as the other site is more of a community and my site is informative (news, interviews, reviews etc...)

the problem is that the other site is on page 1 so anyone looking for information about yoyoing will find the other site but not mine. and while the other site is ideal for the community aspect, mine is better when it comes to news and general information (like guides for beginner for example)

basically, I want (like everyone here) to get to the 1st page for all or most yoyo related queries.

So I guess I could do several things better, but I don't really know what.

to sum up what's already done

- SEO friendly URL, meta descriptions etc...
    - internal linking (within the website but also to the forum which is a "forum (dot) etc..." subdomain
    - links from most of the relevant yet foreign forums
    - quality content - original content (sometimes even worldwide exclusive content)
    - social networks links (facebook, twitter and ladderescape) and updates

but I'm having a hard time reading and understanding all the analytics aspects of SEO.

This website is actually also a "lab rat" for my current job where I've been asked to work on our company's website's SEO.

Anyway, if anyone would be kind enough to walk me through the basics of analytics and what to do to get a better SERP (is that the correct term ?) it would be proper awesome.

Here are the pros and cons as I see em

- very limited potential traffic
    - competition against something totally different (there are yoyos in knitting I believe)
    - most of the relevant sites are of foreign language (english)

+ almost no competition in that specific field
    + new content on a regular basis
    + SEO friendly blog (on paper at least)

thank you for your help !
  3. Extremely Googled
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

What kind of niche are you after? "Yoyo" is a highly generic term and there are likely many sites out there about it.
    Have you identified long tail terms that people search?
    What is your end game? Do you want people to buy yoyos from you?
    Have you installed Google Analytics? That would give you an idea about your traffic and its sources.
    Are you after geolocated searches? I see the word "France" in your TLD. Are you focused on google.fr or is "France" a yoyo term?
  5. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Welcome! I get excited when I see posters like you because you remind me of me.

You have a good website and you are now taking steps to be a competitive website. When I first came here I had an "ok" website but I got very little traffic - about 34 visitors per day. I camped out in SEOChat and read almost every single post every day. I learned whose advice to pay attention to. I asked very specific questions and put the advice into action. Now my site is getting 1200 visitors per day and growing rapidly.

What term is it that you are trying to rank for? Is it "yoyo"? When I search on Google.fr I don't see your site on the first 5 pages. If you are seeing yourself higher it may be a personalized search issue. Try typing in your search query and put &pws=0 at the end of the url and hit enter. This will show you the true SERPS.

The key to ranking higher in the SERPS is always good quality backlinks. In my time of learning SEO what I have discovered is that what makes someone a good SEO is the ability to generate good quality links. Anyone can do directory submissions, article posting and blog posts and easily get a list of hundreds or thousands of backlinks. But, just a few good quality links can easily outweigh those easy to get links.

There are two ways to get good quality links - buy them or create such amazing content that people link to you naturally. Buying links is controversial and the hot talk in SEO right now is how Google needs to learn how to devalue bought links. The day is coming where Google will be able to sniff out paid links and they will be devalued. I'd highly advise that you focus on getting good quality natural links to your site. This is not always easy.

It looks like you have some good articles (I didn't translate them to read them tho). But what you need in order to drive links to your site is SUPER AMAZING content that makes people say, "Wow...I NEED to link to this."

My best link getter so far is a calculator that I created to let people know whether their dog ate too much chocolate. It is very useful and so other webmasters want to link to it.

So my advice to you is this...read all you can about linkbuilding via great content. Read every post by EGOL....he is the master of creating content that people want to link to. And ask very specific questions. For example, start a post asking for ways to create "linkbait" (i.e. stuff that would make people want to link to you) for your site.

And my last piece of advice right now would be to be patient...try things and see what works...and celebrate when something does work!

Welcome!
    THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO UNNATURAL LINKS RECOVERY by Dr. Marie Haynes.
    Click here to sign up for my Google Penalty Newsletter.
    Traffic Drop Audits. and Unnatural links penalty recovery help.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Highland
    What kind of niche are you after? "Yoyo" is a highly generic term and there are likely many sites out there about it.
    I believe I don't quite understand the concept of "niche" I'd love to have someone explain it to me (google/wiki doesn't help me much due to my still, limited english level
    Have you identified long tail terms that people search?
    This is the advice I'm after, how do I identify this ?
    What is your end game? Do you want people to buy yoyos from you?
    No, I just want traffic, so I can get partners which will allow me to put some content (like shops or manufacturers who send products for me to test and talk about for example) as well as generate some money (somehow? google adsense) to help me fund my several trips to yoyo events (meaning more content)
    Have you installed Google Analytics? That would give you an idea about your traffic and its sources.
    yes I did, you can probably tell by my adsense ads here and there (I believe these two somehow work together?)
    Are you after geolocated searches? I see the word "France" in your TLD. Are you focused on google.fr or is "France" a yoyo term?
    no it's actually the very first french language informative website about yoyo, while it talks about yoyoing worldwide, it's aimed to french public for the most part, there are and will be more english language articles as I seem to be amongst the only ones who do interviews
    What I mean is I think I know what I have to do to get good content, content is not that big of an issue (maybe it is, but I don't think so until proven otherwise)

my issue is that when people look for "yoyo" related keywords on google, my site doesn't show high enough and for some reason, I'm not allowed to post links on the FYYA website (well, there actually are a few links on their forum, but it's not a subdomain of their main domain)

for example, there is the yoyo nation forum where I have several links, it's the most populated yoyo forum worldwide, but it's an english speaking audience, so the content is somehow "half relevant"

my problem is, there is no other relevant website in french language to get some links from. I thought about writing articles on websites such as lepost(dot)fr with some links, the article's content would be a generic article about yoyoing, aimed for people who don't know the modern practice of yoyos.

but that's about it.

I'm not sure what else I can do on my website too, in order to optimize the "crawling".

I've been reading on this forum and got some nice information

but basically what I get from it is

"make a nice website with cool content and talk about it the most you can"

did I get it right ?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Dr.Marie
    Welcome! I get excited when I see posters like you because you remind me of me.

woot, it's not everyday that a girl tells me she gets excited seeing something I do (too soon?) (^^)/

You have a good website and you are now taking steps to be a competitive website. When I first came here I had an "ok" website but I got very little traffic - about 34 visitors per day. I camped out in SEOChat and read almost every single post every day. I learned whose advice to pay attention to. I asked very specific questions and put the advice into action. Now my site is getting 1200 visitors per day and growing rapidly.

so this means I'm in the right place

What term is it that you are trying to rank for? Is it "yoyo"? When I search on Google.fr I don't see your site on the first 5 pages. If you are seeing yourself higher it may be a personalized search issue. Try typing in your search query and put &pws=0 at the end of the url and hit enter. This will show you the true SERPS.

I still have to learn how to figure these terms out, but I guess some of em would be "yoyo, tuto yoyo, guide yoyo, test yoyo, review yoyo" and the list goes on. There are not many people who actually look for yoyo related content on the internet, it's definitely growing but right now, in france, it'd be awesome if we were like 100 players, the thing is, I want to use my website to get more people to start playing, it's cheap, it's relatively easy and it makes for a good way to deal with everyday's stress (you should try it, actually, everyone should !)

The key to ranking higher in the SERPS is always good quality backlinks. In my time of learning SEO what I have discovered is that what makes someone a good SEO is the ability to generate good quality links. Anyone can do directory submissions, article posting and blog posts and easily get a list of hundreds or thousands of backlinks. But, just a few good quality links can easily outweigh those easy to get links.

There are two ways to get good quality links - buy them or create such amazing content that people link to you naturally. Buying links is controversial and the hot talk in SEO right now is how Google needs to learn how to devalue bought links. The day is coming where Google will be able to sniff out paid links and they will be devalued. I'd highly advise that you focus on getting good quality natural links to your site. This is not always easy.

by "good quality" you mean the link should be on a relevant website, ideally one with lots of traffic, but does it have to be on the main/front page or can it be anywhere on the site ? I still have to get a hold of how these "follow/no follow" things work.

It looks like you have some good articles (I didn't translate them to read them tho). But what you need in order to drive links to your site is SUPER AMAZING content that makes people say, "Wow...I NEED to link to this."

Good content is what we're all about, it's a relatively new website and we're working very hard to produce good content (currently, we're producing video yoyo tutorials for beginners, we have exclusive reviews and interviews as well and we already held a contest with free yoyos for the winners)

My best link getter so far is a calculator that I created to let people know whether their dog ate too much chocolate. It is very useful and so other webmasters want to link to it.

This is a good idea, now it's my turn to come up with something useful like this

So my advice to you is this...read all you can about linkbuilding via great content. Read every post by EGOL....he is the master of creating content that people want to link to. And ask very specific questions. For example, start a post asking for ways to create "linkbait" (i.e. stuff that would make people want to link to you) for your site.

And my last piece of advice right now would be to be patient...try things and see what works...and celebrate when something does work!

Welcome!
    this will be very helpful, thanks a LOT !

PS: keep em coming ! I'm all about learning and getting better
  11. Extremely Googled
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Good followup

Niche refers to a specific segment you're targeting. Take bicycles. There are many kinds of them. A niche would be girl's bicycles. So you build a section of your website around girl's bicycles.

A long tail term typically includes three or more terms (although there are some instances where 2 words can be considered long tail). An example would be "Barbie girl's bicycle". Long tail terms tend to convert better.

You can find terms by using the Google keywords tool. This will allow you to see what people search for.
    https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

It sounds like you want people to find you for the term "yoyo" and you don't want to sell on your site, you just want advertising revenues. It sounds like you've done all the right stuff. What you need to focus on is getting links to your site. Social media can help with this some, but remember all those are nofollow (they pass no page rank). Fresh content is the next part and it sounds like you've got that covered.

You didn't answer my question about geolocation. Are you targeting JUST France or is this part of your blog (i.e. you're a yoyo nut in France)?
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

well about geolocalisation, I'm targetting mostly france (as well as french speaking countries such as part of swiss, canada, belgium, some african countries etc...)

but I figured I'd draw a significant amount of visitors if I threw a few english translations of some of my main articles and interviews. I tested it last week end and as I thought, I had a significant amount of extra visits the day the article was published.

so again it's "the easy/lazy way" vs "the good way"

but as I see it, yoyo is a niche in itself, but I guess what makes my site more "unique" is the rather "mature" approach of yoyoing, so this might be a good point to start

So now I see the keywords in the tool you mentionned, I entered "yoyo" in the first box, then my "competitor website" in the second to see what queries tend to lead to this site the most (since this site is well placed)

do I have it right or am I missing something ?

What I'm thinking about is to carefully select some of these keywords and then make some content about this specific "thing"

like when you see "yoyo fast 201" which look fairly popular, I could do an article about this specific yoyo (which happens to be the one I began practicing with), using the entire keyphrase several times within my content/text.

So people who are looking for this yoyo might have a chance to find fairly relevant content on my website, still right ? (if not, do tell me)

For example, I could do a review of the fast 201 yoyo, with pictures and well... a review of the actual yoyo. This way I would have quality/meaningful and fairly useful content AND have a specific page that would be related to a popular query on google, right ?