1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Co-mingling B2C and B2B content and SEO

I am the middle of debating if I should break off some of my content into a separate brand, and if so if I would be negatively impacted. So first the background.

I have my website Paris Creative and my primary focus is selling my wedding DJ services to prospective couples. I've generated some good quality content that the individual pages themselves rank well, and that overall I have generally OK organic pull into my site. It could be better, but with the battle of being a wide area serving business in a Google local world has it's own challenges.

The rub in this is my content that I have been making for the peers in my industry. It's isn't a ton, but I could see more articles that are focused on a technical nature, industry specific issues, and the like being placed there. While I am not losing sleep of having both modes of content on my site I am starting to wonder if I should separate them out by placing my B2B content on another brand/doman.

My concern is that content brings in eyeballs, and certainly is a good chunk of my visitor traffic. So if I did break off this content it could bring far less people to the current site.

The other concern is if content that is more B2B focus continues to be the driving force will Google start to weigh my other content less.

Thoughts?
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by LTParis
    My concern is that content brings in eyeballs, and certainly is a good chunk of my visitor traffic. So if I did break off this content it could bring far less people to the current site.
    But are they the right eyeballs?

You ask a very difficult question. On one side, yes you should create a separate brand if you truly believe you have content which serves a separate audience. However you need to do it with care. On your B2C side you want to show enough expertise to make them think "This guy knows what he is doing" but not go "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" so careful what you trim.

Yes, Google may then send less traffic to your original site but if it was the wrong traffic then it had no value anyway.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

LTParis,
    What Doodles says plus...

We don't have enough info to offer definitive answers to your questions. All we can do is pose more questions.

I'm confused by your objective to deliver info to your B2B peers. How do they impact on your online communications with your target customers? How do they influence the purchasing process?

I've had the very quickest of looks at the page titles of Pariscreative, NY. If I've got the right website, it seems there is no online marketing or support SEO being implemented at all.

The start point is to define your various potential client market segments.

One critical attribute of all your market segments is likely to be geographic. Your services are more likely to be interesting to searchers who live in the New York area. You need to ensure that every search query you target includes "New York" and relevant surrounding locations.

I suspect that wedding themes may be another important search attribute. Eg. Italian, Indian, Jewish, Irish etc. You need to research these types of search attributes.

It is not how many eyeballs you can bring to your site, it is how many potential clients you bring to your site and how well you describe how you can satisfy their needs.

Without a detailed investigation, my prelim. assessment is that you do not try to target potential clients by location.