1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Client wants to copy entire website to new domain

Hi guys

I've got a client that wants to duplicate his .co.uk website (sitename.co.uk) to a .ie domain (sitename.ie). The .co.uk site has been established for 10 years and the client has recently taken on a full time agent in Ireland. He's suggested that we copy almost the entire site over for now and then gradually rewrite the content on the .ie site over time to make it unique. A temporary re-direction won't work as there's some content on the .co.uk site that can't be shown on the .ie site.

Is this a good idea? I'm worried about the following:

• Potential repercussions for sitename.co.uk
    • Potential future repercussions for sitename.ie as it's starting out with cloned content.

Can anyone advise please?

Regards,
    Chris
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

If the .co.uk site is performing well in google.ie, I wouldn't even recommend using the .ie domain. There are also numerous ways you can optimize the .co.uk site for Ireland such as utilizing a /ie subdomain. Not to mention, if you optimize the existing site, it will carry with it all the backlink authority it gained in the UK. If the idea behind creating the .ie is simply to register a ccTLD, hoping for a little boost in authority, it is not worth risking the success of the existing site.

Comments on this post

• ClickyB agrees
  5. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Ya a single domain is the best approach. Assuming the services or products are identical it is pointless to run another domain.
  7. No Profile Picture

Hi guys

We may need a separate 'sitename.ie' site as I don't think a single domain would work in these circumstances. My client is UK distributor for a particular supplier (one of about 8 suppliers) but that supplier also has a separate Irish distributor. My client may be upsetting the supplier with a joint domain as he doesn't have rights to sell this particular supplier's products in Ireland.

So the reason for developing the site isn't for boosting search authority in Ireland. The main reason is to allow marketing of the company in Ireland (web ads, magazine ads, trade shows, via their new full time agent) without upsetting certain suppliers (see above).

Also, the sitename.co.uk is already region specific. I think sitename.com/uk and sitename.com/ie work quite well, but sitename.co.uk/ie seems a little strange perhaps (two different country identifiers)? What do you think?

So assuming we go ahead with the full site cloning to the .ie domain, followed with gradual content rewrites over time, what do you think the implications would be for the following:

• Potential future repercussions for sitename.ie as it's starting out with cloned content.

Thanks,
    Chris
  9. No Profile Picture
    Using Contributor

If you have no desire to have this .ie domain rank in search engines, why not just Meta-Robots NoFollow, NoIndex the whole thing? Canonicalize content on the main site and keep crawlers away from the other, and dupe content shouldn't be an issue.
  11. No Profile Picture

Using the robots file to prevent search engine listing may be a good option to begin with. A search engine ranking in Ireland for the Irish site will be needed in the long-term though. The client has a huge amount of text on the site (hundreds of pages) which will take a long time to re-write.

It's the consequences to both domains of duplicate content that I'm hoping for advice on. If we remove the robots nofollow from the .ie domain after 20% of the content has been re-written (80% still duplicate) what consequences are there do you think for both domains (.ie and .co.uk)?

Thanks,
    Chris
  13. No Profile Picture

Not an issue

Having a .co.uk and a .ie domain with the same content is not an issue once each one is localised. Google will serve up the different domains depending on the search locations and wont see either as spam as long as they are using different TLD's
    It's very common for multi nationals to have more or less the same content on many different websites, again, as long as they are all different TLD's

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by jackkarter; Jul 6th, 2014 at 03:44 PM.
  15. Contributing User

you can do that with limitation

Originally Posted by Dweezel
    Hi guys

I've got a client that wants to duplicate his .co.uk website (sitename.co.uk) to a .ie domain (sitename.ie). The .co.uk site has been established for 10 years and the client has recently taken on a full time agent in Ireland. He's suggested that we copy almost the entire site over for now and then gradually rewrite the content on the .ie site over time to make it unique. A temporary re-direction won't work as there's some content on the .co.uk site that can't be shown on the .ie site.

Regards,
    Chris

As you have mentioned that you want to have same content on two different sites ( sitename.co.uk & sitename.ie ) the co.uk is the old one that you have been using and new site that you have to create is .ie, like you have mentioned that for .ie domain you will be having a content in near future.
    , so what you can do you can either stop the google crawlability by using robots.txt file or by letting google know that its the same site of co.uk by using meta tag, & Canonicalize methods.

thanks

Comments on this post

• GabrielG agrees : Yep, was just going to say - block what's total duplicate or use cross-domain canonical indicators to show that the canonical source of the content is the uk site.
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by jackkarter
    Having a .co.uk and a .ie domain with the same content is not an issue once each one is localised. Google will serve up the different domains depending on the search locations and wont see either as spam as long as they are using different TLD's
    It's very common for multi nationals to have more or less the same content on many different websites, again, as long as they are all different TLD's

Hope that helps.
    Here you go...straight from the horses mouth.

Comments on this post

• GabrielG agrees : Thanks for clarifying your source
  19. Super Moderator

I'm a bit confused about the business issue ... you're not going to distribute the supplier's products in Ireland, but they will be angry that your site also addresses an Irish audience? Why would they be placated if you had companyname.ie in that case? It's still the same company distributing outside its territory. Alternately, if your .ie won't sell that supplier's products, why should it make a difference to them if you do everything on the same domain?

I only see a superficial distinction with their employees being happy to denounce you for violating the agreement based on your site addressing Irish surfers, in spite of not selling that supplier's products to them.
    Working on rock the pitch, my soccer site.
    Need a keyword tool with millions of terms easily exportable?
  21. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Nice video log Jack.. i think its very better to use a single domain for a site and also its is a safest way too.. and i got useful information on this discussion, thanks for sharing such a nice post..
  23. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Dweezel
    Hi guys

Regards,
    Chris

Hi there

Make sure it's not followed for a start,