#1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0

    City based micro websites, best practice?


    Hi!

    I am planning to build micro websites per city (10+ cities in total) to give the visitor the most relevant information of this service in that city. But more important : city based websites will also give me the advantage to rank higher than the competition. "[service]-newyork.com" will be the domain for example and "[service] new york" will be the very most used search prhase in Google.

    Competition is high in my segment, but they are not aware of the concept city based websites at this moment.

    Each website will have (in the first 10 months) approximately 5 to 7 pages with unique content. And there will be 3 pages per site which will have exactly the same content. I am thinking to place these 3 pages on 1 domain so I will not be punished for duplicate content.

    My question will Google accept this concept and is this the best way to start growing my rankings without having the risk of punishment? Especially as all the websites will now run on one and the same server, with the same IP-address... but that is something that I can change.

    Are there succesfull examples of setups like this? Or is there another way which will give me lower risk of punishment?
    Last edited by vincent007; Nov 4th, 2012 at 07:17 AM.
  2. #2
  3. Agency SEO
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,054
    Rep Power
    2798
    Originally Posted by vincent007
    Hi!

    I am planning to build micro websites per city (10+ cities in total) to give the visitor the most relevant information of this service in that city. But more important : city based websites will also give me the advantage to rank higher than the competition. "[service]-newyork.com" will be the domain for example and "[service] new york" will be the very most used search prhase in Google.

    Competition is high in my segment, but they are not aware of the concept city based websites at this moment.

    Each website will have (in the first 10 months) approximately 5 to 7 pages with unique content. And there will be 3 pages per site which will have exactly the same content. I am thinking to place these 3 pages on 1 domain so I will not be punished for duplicate content.

    My question will Google accept this concept and is this the best way to start growing my rankings without having the risk of punishment? Especially as all the websites will now run on one and the same server, with the same IP-address... but that is something that I can change.

    Are there succesfull examples of setups like this? Or is there another way which will give me lower risk of punishment?
    If your niche is low competition this should work fine. If there is any competition at all you are going to have to do more than throw up a site and rake in the money.
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    If your niche is low competition this should work fine. If there is any competition at all you are going to have to do more than throw up a site and rake in the money.
    I know there is more work to it

    But all I have to know if this is a good starting-point without unnecessary risks (as far as people know of course). Then I can build further on this strategy on the long term.

    That's why I was curious if there are good practice results so I can see if this is a potential strategy.

    Does anyone know a good example of a company with many micro-sites and good ranking?
  6. #4
  7. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0
    I think reduce Google on a web site is the best way to punish, website content must be original.
  8. #5
  9. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    1942
    Originally Posted by vincent007
    I know there is more work to it

    But all I have to know if this is a good starting-point without unnecessary risks (as far as people know of course). Then I can build further on this strategy on the long term.

    That's why I was curious if there are good practice results so I can see if this is a potential strategy.

    Does anyone know a good example of a company with many micro-sites and good ranking?
    Any insurance company or home alarm system company?
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.

Similar Threads

  1. Google and XML based websites
    By daler in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Apr 15th, 2010, 07:55 AM
  2. Theme based websites.
    By furma in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Sep 26th, 2005, 05:32 PM
  3. Yahoo Update: Possible Explaination
    By AboodyCall in forum BING/Yahoo Search Optimization
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: Jun 21st, 2005, 08:14 PM
  4. Still some hope for smaller websites.
    By Maneesh in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: Mar 30th, 2004, 01:35 PM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo