1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Checking a site's health

Hello all, me again.

I am looking at getting a guest post set up on a relevant site within the same industry but before I do, I would like to know whether there are any tests you can perform to see how Google currently views the site in question.

I'm thinking of things like:
    Paste homepage URL to see if it's first result.
    site:example.com to see how many pages are indexed.
    Copy a paragraph of content and see where it ranks in the search.
    Check it's backlinks to see whether they are good or not.

These are the things that I currently do but I am sure there are better ones that can be done?

If I copy and paste a paragraph into Google, should the site always appear in the top spot? What if it doesn't? (I'm talking about pasting without quotation marks)

Thanks
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

As an experienced SEO you can usually get a sense of the quality of a site and the pride in which the webmaster takes just by studying it for a while.

* Back link checking is a must - is their link building irrisponsible?
    * Also important is who the site links out TO
    * Check any social proof signs; are people Liking, +1'ing, Tweeting the content? Does content generate a buzz in terms of genuine comments? Is the site held in high regard by its audience?
    * Does the site contain any malware or virus's? Use an online checker such as https://www.virustotal.com/
    * Homepage might not necessarily rank first if they have a popular content page or blog - This is not a negative sign
    * Obvious things include checking its authority (Open Site Explorer) and how long has it existed (Whois) - be cautious of fly-by-night sites
    * Check for copied content (various tools)

I'll come back with any more I think of but I hope this helps in the mean time.

Rick
    Last edited by rickeliason; Feb 1st, 2013 at 04:09 AM.
    Like my answer above? I am all over Google+! You may also like my SEO Audit Cheat Sheet.
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Always be aware of your website standing. Use ranking sites like alexa and googlerankings to keep track of whether you are losing or gaining visitors. Do it yourself SEO begins with keeping an eye on your status regularly. Checking these stats will allow you to find out if your optimization is having an effect.