1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Question Changing website IP address - any risks?

I've currently got several websites hosted on the same IP address, with the majority of them linking to each other. Having read several articles and forum posts warning about Google dishing out penalties (or perhaps more accurately, just backlink value dampeners) for sites linking to each other on the same IP, I've decided to move three of them to their own unique IPs.

Before I go ahead, I'd like to see if anyone has gone through the same process in the past, and what effects, positive or negative, it has caused them.

Is it likely that my websites might go up in SERPs as the baclinks will gain value? Or perhaps there might even be some temporary negative effects caused by a change of IP?
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

You are unlikely to face any type of ban or issues for having a couple sites link to each other. I think when people have any problems it is when they have a whole network of sites and rely on the links from those site for their rankings.

If you have 1000's of links from other places I wouldn't waste the time. You wouldn't see any changes in your Serps. You are much better off seeking more links then relying on your own.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thumbs up

Thanks Jason - I have tens of thousands of links from other websites (from about 70-80 unique domains as most are sitewides), but the vast majority of these are all to the home/index pages of each site. The interlinking between my own websites are to pages three pages deep, and with thousands of products listed it will be virtually impossible to get a backlink to each page from websites that don't use the same product database (as my three main websites do - but have predominantly different content for each product). The cost of 14 unique IPs will be US$5/month, which is a drop in the ocean compared to what the websites bring in, and it will only take a few minutes to put the unique IPs into practise.

As long as there's no chance of it causing any harm I'll probably go ahead with it - but I'll wait for a few more opinions on it first.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

none, unless the new address is not spidered