1. No Profile Picture
    DAG
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Changing the title tag

Hi,

I have a blog that's about a year old and recently became PR3 after the last update. I had sorta neglected it before that and was only posting once every 7-10 days...now I want to get back into it. The problem is that the title I have isn't the best, and I'd sorta like to take the blog a slightly different direction.

If I change the title tag to the new title, will that cause any problems with Google? Does Google even pay much attention to that? I don't care if it displays the old title in the SERP's for a little while, I just don't want this to hurt my rankings.

It is within the same niche and is only a slightly different title...in fact really I'm just adding something to the title.

thanks
  3. Around...The
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

A substantial change to the title tag will probably rank your site different, only a small addition will probably not force any changes.

Mostly it depends on the backlinks you have. If you have few backlinks and alter the title tag, the serp's will change more dramatically than if your current rankings are mostly due to backlinks iso title tag.
  5. No Profile Picture
    DAG
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

well most of the backlinks are using the anchor text of what i want to change the title to.

so that would be a good change, right?

the backlinks are all relevant to the theme of the page, and the title i want to change it to is still relevant either way...

how about with other SE's? will this be a yahoo or msn problem?
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Title tag is one of the most important onpage optimization factors and a little change therein can make a huge effect on the rankings.

I would rather that you read Search Engine Ranking Factors @ http://www.seomoz.org/articles/search-ranking-factors.php to see its significance in the rankings...

Backlinks DOES matter but you should not overlook the importance of onpage factors such as Title tag when in highly competitive area!
  9. Contributing User

Title tag is the most important one at your website. I am glad to you realize that and bring this question to the forum. When you change your TITLE tag, try to modify it the way all the most important keywords stay.
  11. Contributing User

When you change your TITLE tag, try to modify it the way all the most important keywords stay.
    Plus, don't forget the keyword proximity, and order them by their relative importance (Most importanct first, more important second and important third etc.) ... Am I right?
  13. Go OSU Beavers!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Proximity is important - but also try to use 2 and 3 work key phrases that contain your #1 keyword.

example: computer
    use: cheap computer, cheap computer wholesale, etc.
    - Scott Fish, Director of SEO | SEO Blog | Tweet | Linkedin
    Doing SEO for Fortune 500 companies for the last 8 years.
  15. Contributing User

So I think the answer to your question is that changing your title will affect SERP placement almost across the board. However, if you truly desire to change the target of your blog then you can use your site's exisiting popularity to show up in future SERPs for the new desired keywords.

Old keywords will die away, new keywords will come up. This why choosing keywords in this industry is so important.
  17. Around...The

Don't think so.

To answer his question: there is little change that rankings will suffer in his case.

He already has the backlinks and will only add something to the title tag. As long as the addition is after the targeted keywords, there is little change that rankings will suffer.
  19. <- Have you read my blog?

I'll let you know a few days. I just changed the template of my title for one site that hosts 50000+ pages.

Hexed
    www.Three-Way-Links.com - Amazing way to increase your rank with Google - trading three way links!
    Free Online Games - free online games - what else could you want?