Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Changing or redirecting URL to improve KW Rank?

I have a Surf Shop in the UK want to rank better for that term as im pretty much nowhere in google after 8 months. My shop is called Sids Surf Shack and I have been told that potentially changing the URL by to be Sids Surf Shop would severely increase my positioning in SERPS for that kw. I rank on google page 1 for loads of my products but need to get higher for this one. I know as its an ultra competitive kw this will take time but want to know the possibility of how much power can be gained from this. Not sure how the redirect works...is it a 302 that people type Sids Surf Shack and automatically brings up Sids Surf Shop?

Also I concerned that I dont want people to know the re-direct is hapenning to put my current and future customers off!

With regards to current SEO on the kw Surf Shop, ive been doing the usual blogs, articles, inter page linking, title tags etc with Surf Shop featuring a lot. If anyone has any other info about what Im not doing take a look at my page which is dot co dot uk!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I don't think that using keywords in the URL would help your ranking a lot. It would help, but very minimal.
    It is probably not worth doing this redirect just for the sake of having kw in your url. As you said, who knows what your existing customer would react to the redirect.
    By the way if you are selling a wide range of products on the website (if they fall into no related categories), you may want to consider site theming if you haven't done so.
  5. No Profile Picture

yeah.....makes sense but if its not really gonna effect things really then Im not entirely sure to go with it. Dont want to upset the apple cart as is! Just cautious of undoing any of the hardwork from the past 8 months for little risk.

I sell many products and they are all categorised into a specific category!
  7. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

sidssurfshack.co.uk is down

Is this a regular occurance?
  9. Super Moderator

Hi Sids Surf Shack,

Welcome to SeoChat.

Your current domain is "Sids Surf Shack" and you've been told that changing it to "Sids Surf Shop" would "severely increase my positioning in SERPS" for: surf shop in the UK?
    Like NMmarketing, I disagree (with whoever told you that)!

Whilst it might make a minimal improvement, the upheaval caused by the redirect (301 by the way - not 302 - that's a temporary redirect) would almost certainly have a short-term detrimental effect and possibly some long-lasting repercussions.

In reality, changing existing backlinks from "Sids Surf Shack" to "Sids Surf Shop" would have more effect (and changing them to "UK surf shop" would be even better), however, it would also affect your existing rankings, and an "en-masse" change might well raise a red flag with Google.

Besides, shack and shop are (plausible/possible) synonyms.

Like KernelPanic, I can't access your website (some php problem) and - as I think he was "getting at" - if this happens often, it could also have a detrimental effect on your rankings.

My recommendation would be to make sure your site shopping area is optimised for the term "Surf Shop" (or "surf shop UK"), and then get some backlinks - using those terms as anchors - aimed directly at the shop area. That way you can target the term without upsetting your existing rankings.

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees : what he said
    • jsteele823 agrees
    Last edited by ClickyB; Nov 19th, 2009 at 01:53 PM.
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  11. No Profile Picture

Thanks guys, your both right, over the past 2 hours we have had a problem with the server but it should be back on now. This virtually never happens so just a glitch.

The person who told me was actually an SEO guy on here with a decent reputation....id rather not mention who as you'll know who!

If you can kindly check the site now and my on page optimisation if thats going to plan. I didnt really fancy going down the route of 301-302 redirects anyhow! Could it be im just being impatient in hoping to rank quick for a competitive keyword?......importantly, is my on page looking ok in terms of ranking for that kw? I do all the normal anchor links off page on linked sites, blogs, atricles etc.
  13. Digital Marketing

Heya Sid, you're correct site is back up, looks nice too, good job

Looks at a glance like you're managng nicely with your SEO. 200 + in bound links from relevant pages, strong oiginal content.

Keep doing what you're doing and think a bit on ways to get great links and set yourself apart from the competition...

Maybe a photo gallery where beachgoers can send you pics of them enjoying your excellent products. Your demographic all carry cameras and perhaps you'll get some links. Maybe a contest for the best picture gets $100.00 gift certificate.

You have a cool logo, include a blurb about placing the logo on your visitor's sites (complete with link to you). You'll want to create the code forthem to make it easy.

Videos of surfers using your products, beach babes in your bikinis (well not YOUR bikini, you get my drift)....

Good luck!

Originally Posted by Sids Surf Shack
    Thanks guys, your both right, over the past 2 hours we have had a problem with the server but it should be back on now. This virtually never happens so just a glitch.

The person who told me was actually an SEO guy on here with a decent reputation....id rather not mention who as you'll know who!

If you can kindly check the site now and my on page optimisation if thats going to plan. I didnt really fancy going down the route of 301-302 redirects anyhow! Could it be im just being impatient in hoping to rank quick for a competitive keyword?......importantly, is my on page looking ok in terms of ranking for that kw? I do all the normal anchor links off page on linked sites, blogs, atricles etc.
  15. No Profile Picture

Hi Kernel Panic

thanks for your quick and honest reply and your advice that what im doing is more or less in the right direction.

The problems you had today with accessing the site have effected a few things you mentioned. At the bottom of the home page I have a blog with surf pic, info and vidoes from the world of surfing so i guess this should be continued. I update the content everyday.

Based on the site so far, do you just think its a matter of time before I climb the rankings for the tough kw im targeting (xcel wetsuits, surf shop), as long as i keep plugging away and not get complacent? I think impatience is my downfall as its only been 8 months since this was live!
  17. Digital Marketing

Keep doing what you're doing and think a bit on ways to get great links and set yourself apart from the competition...and you'l be golden. Don't get impatient and try to take shortcuts. Just stay the course.

Hi Kernel Panic

thanks for your quick and honest reply and your advice that what im doing is more or less in the right direction.

The problems you had today with accessing the site have effected a few things you mentioned. At the bottom of the home page I have a blog with surf pic, info and vidoes from the world of surfing so i guess this should be continued. I update the content everyday.

Based on the site so far, do you just think its a matter of time before I climb the rankings for the tough kw im targeting (xcel wetsuits, surf shop), as long as i keep plugging away and not get complacent? I think impatience is my downfall as its only been 8 months since this was live!
  19. Digital Marketing

you're down again. broken sites make mongo cry
  21. No Profile Picture

i know!!!! This has been a one off!!!! But a night to forget..Will be speaking with my hosting guys in the morning. Up and running again now, but a bit intermitent!! cheers for the direction peeps!
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Sid,

Your site has gained 8 sitelinks which is great this would be lost if the redirect was carried out.

A friend also had a his site hosted with the same hosting company as yourself and had nothing but problems, down time etc, also he want to carry out some 301 redirects to some of his page and his server package did not support redirects he tryed to move package and it became a nightmare for him his site was down for two days and no one at this company could help him.

So he had to upload his site to another host, taking another 24 hours for Propagation to be complete.

Also there are also some errors in your DNS settings

http://tinyurl.com/y96d96x

P.s Sid If i was you I would also buy the .com as your clearly going to built a brand for yourself and for the small fee I feel this is a must or a competitor might live of your hard work.
    Last edited by Jim1; Nov 21st, 2009 at 09:59 AM.
  25. No Profile Picture

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply and just want to pick up on some things you mentioned. I think that the general consensus here is that the 301 re direct isnt going to change things so i dont think I'll do down this avenue. Im just curious to know how you know who hosts my site? Have had a few issues with the site flicking off, but this has only really hapenned over the past few days in the 8 months ive been live. I am conscious of this as for 2010, looks like google will look at site loading time as a ranking factor...and if mine aint even loading!!!!!...then problems!!

Also Jim, you mention I have 8 sitelinks? What do you mean, as this sounds different that backlinks of course, and you say 8 is good?? I may have not read into what you have said but cant remember coming across this.

And the DNS setting errors. Clicked the url you supplied and it over my head. Are they easily fixed and how does the current state effect on rankings?

Cheers for the help Ji,,

Regards
  27. No Profile Picture

p.s bought the .com url....dont know why i hadn't done this sooner!!!
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Jim,
    Im just curious to know how you know who hosts my site?
    Hi Sid,

Click on the below links the second link is a pop up when you click on the taken for the whois for your domain look at the name server details.

http://tinyurl.com/ylznte2

http://tinyurl.com/yc5gxxa

Also Jim, you mention I have 8 sitelinks? What do you mean, as this sounds different that backlinks of course, and you say 8 is good?? I may have not read into what you have said but cant remember coming across this.
    Type your url into google and below your listing for your site yesterday you had 8 sitelinks, the blue links below are sitelinks these are assigned by google shows trust for your site a good sign.
    By changing the urls of your site these would be lost.....
    Last edited by Jim1; Nov 22nd, 2009 at 05:58 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: