1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Red face Changing page URL and problem with custom error page

Hi,

Can someone suggest me a solution to the problem. I have a page lets say its url is domain.com/page1.asp but then i changed it to domain.com/keywords.asp, i deleted the first page, and put all the content on the new page. Now the problem is:

I am using a custom error page that says "oops no page to display" when someone opens a page that does not exist. Now when deleted my first page, virtual url still existed because that custom error page opens up when someone types domain.com/page1.asp. Then i created that page1.asp again and used a redirect to the new page. That seems fine.

Now the problem is, if i use the same title as the new page then google things the new page is duplicate and wound not index it. So i changed the title to something else. But still Google thinks i have duplicate content on the page and would not show my new page when anyone searches.

How to solve my problem now?
  3. Smoke me a kipper...
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

As long as you use a 301 permanent redirect from the old page to the new you won't have any problems. It can take up to a couple of weeks or more for Google to register the change depending on how often it crawls your site.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ok but what about the old page title and meta description? does that matter on 301 redirects? if its the same on both pages, google could penalize the new page?
  7. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Hi str,

If you use custom error pages you must make sure they return the relevant header code.

When you replace a url like you describe, you should add a 301 redirect to tell the SE's where it's moved to... An explanation of how to do this on .asp pages or windows servers can be found here.
    Last edited by ClickyB; Oct 23rd, 2007 at 06:59 AM.
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  9. Smoke me a kipper...
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by seo-top-ranked
    Ok but what about the old page title and meta description? does that matter on 301 redirects? if its the same on both pages, google could penalize the new page?
    If you 301 redirect, there is in effect no longer any content on the old page. The redirect instruction is returned before any content, so Google follows the redirect to the new location.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ok thanks have done that, lets see how google takes my page now.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo