1. Search Engine Obsessed
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Change URL without losing positions

I've made some big changes on my website which now make my url make little sense.

Is it possible for me to use a new url and still keep my google positions. Many of these are top 5 for highly competitive key words/phrases.

Cheers

Paul
  3. nut case

I know you're supposed to do a 301 to indicate that the page moved permanently, but I'm not sure if your SERPS and PR are confered on the new url
  5. SEO bull
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Yes... this is the exact case when you should use the 301 redirect. All the ranking factors will be passed to the new URL.

If you want to change the content of the pages as well...
    Matt Cutts recommends to do the redirect first, wait till Google changes the URL in his index and then do the content change.

But I made 301's with content change at the same time with no problem, so I guess Google is pretty smart about the redirects and you don't have to worry to loose your positions.
  7. time for breakfast

301's are easy to do with either .htaccess files or php headers. Both our Google friendly.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If you are ranking highly for competitive keywords, you should reconsider changing urls.

A 301 can minimise any potential drop, but it will not guarantee that your rankings will return to how it was previously.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. The only time I would change the URLs is if it is really badly formed and it was affecting the search engines ability to crawl the pages.
  11. Search Engine Obsessed

Our url says 'forums' in the title but we actually want to remove the forums side of things. The url will look a little dumb unless we change it but obviously I don't want to lose ranks we worked hard to achieve.
  13. time for breakfast

Same domain

if you're 301ing in the same domain there should be no problems, but if you're 301ing to a different domain don't expect to keep the same rankings. It will transfer credit of a page but not of the entire domain and what domain a page is on goes into the rankings.

I made this mistake a while back, now you get to learn from it.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

If you want to change your URL the best practise is to perform a 301 permanent redirect, this makes sure all the link juice from the old URL is transferred to the new one and also avoids duplicate content problems. Don't use 404 as they are just a dead end for spiders.

If possible it is also worthwhile changing some of your better back links directly to the new URL, there is no huge impact if you don't do this but I think it looks more professional.

Done correctly there will be no long term damage to your rankings, sometimes you might drop off for a few days before returning to your previous position.
  17. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

What's the difference between 301 and putting

<SCRIPT Language="JavaScript">
    window.location=

in the obsolete page?
  19. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by SEOmaverick
    I've made some big changes on my website which now make my url make little sense.

Is it possible for me to use a new url and still keep my google positions. Many of these are top 5 for highly competitive key words/phrases.

Cheers

Paul
    Do 301 redirection.All the values of your old URL will transfered to your new URL,but it will take sometimes.But I would suggest not to change your content,keep it intact until google recognize the new URL properly.
    see this video,it will be help full for you.
    http://videos.webpronews.com/2007/05/11/answers-redirect/
    Regards
    new_seo