1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Change in Page Suffix and Its effect on Google PageRank

Hello Everyone

I have a site (say www.abc.com) with home page named as index.asp. Now my site has gone under a revamp plan. Now it's home page is named as index.aspx in place of index.asp. Further, the design, layout and content of the home page has also been changed. Now, my question is that whether this change from asp to aspx or to any extension say .xhtml will have any affect on the PageRank of my Home Page. Further, I want to ask whether PR belong to the page (say www.abc.com/index.asp) or domain (www.abc.com)

Waiting to hear from you soon.

Regards
  3. Live and Learn!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by Aami
    Hello Everyone

I have a site (say www.abc.com) with home page named as index.asp. Now my site has gone under a revamp plan. Now it's home page is named as index.aspx in place of index.asp. Further, the design, layout and content of the home page has also been changed. Now, my question is that whether this change from asp to aspx or to any extension say .xhtml will have any affect on the PageRank of my Home Page. Further, I want to ask whether PR belong to the page (say www.abc.com/index.asp) or domain (www.abc.com)

Waiting to hear from you soon.

Regards
    Yes you will need to do a htaccess 301 redirect from the asp extension to the aspx and same for any other changes. The page will take a couple of weeks to get picked up by google but after it will be fine.
  5. Customized?
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Yes it has an effect on the PageRank.
    The pagerank is related to one exact file e.g. site.com/start.asp as soon as you change this file to lets say site.com/start.aspx the pagerank is gone. As seomonkeymanocp said you can redirect properly which will take some time to have the same old position, the PR you get back with the next update.
  7. Self-managed!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

If the PR is assigned to www.abc.com and not to www.abc.com/index.asp then it should not be affected by the index file extension change.

The design and content change of the index page should also not have any effect on the PR since PR is consisting of backlinks.
  9. Contributing User

Yes i agree with sensei you should check for which url your PR is! if its to www.abc.com it should not be a worry.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

And don't forget about the 301 redirect to have your website listed back in the search engines results on the next update.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Your comments have helped me a lot.

Thanks a lot guys for your precious Time and great help. Your comment had really helped me a lot in clearing my mind.

Regards

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo