1. No Profile Picture
    IBW
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Can't get from PR3 ranking to PR5

Hi, i can't make the jump to PR4 or 5 + i can't get past page 2 on Google for family holidays france - is my coding wrong or are there any issues that anyone can see.

http://www.williamsholidays.com

thanks in advance for any tips
    Iain
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

you need more links to your site if you want a higher page rank and ranking.
  5. rubik's cube - 34 secs
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

If you want my honest opinion:

1 - I think your on-page SEO is quite poor, outdated and over the top.

2 - You need more high quality links facing the site.

Sorry but it just looks like the page has been built for search engines and not for real people who are actually going to read it.

Also on the links side of things, any site competing in the 'holiday rentals' market is going to have to be getting new links on a daily basis. Otherwise you'll struggle to hold any postion in the top ten once you get there.

Good luck.
  7. No Profile Picture
    IBW

Thanks Marco

I do want honesty.

I was told that i should have many keywords repeating themslees so that Google understand want keywords we have optimised for.
    Are you saying my keywords are too repetitive?
    Iain
  9. rubik's cube - 34 secs

Originally Posted by IBW
    Thanks Marco

I do want honesty.

I was told that i should have many keywords repeating themslees so that Google understand want keywords we have optimised for.
    Are you saying my keywords are too repetitive?
    Iain
    Hi Iain,

Sorry if i sounded a bit blunt in my last e-mail, but things like the over use of keywords etc can hold your site back from getting good rankings.

I would not say your keywords are to repetitve, but just slighty unneccasary. As you learn more about SEO you'll find that once your keywords are included correctly in the title and once (or twice) in the body text - its links that really matter from then on.

Good example for you - check out the top 5 sites for some of those keyphrases your targeting and you'll see the diference in how they've done things.
  11. My SE ran out of Gas...
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I agree with Macro... and for your Querry...

Your PageRank has nothing to with your ON-page factors (other than the internal Linking strcture)....

Simply

More BackLinks = Higher pageRank

Also another Simpler one...

"Your Toolbar PR has nothing to do with your KWs Ranked.."
    KICHUS - SEO KiD
    "Sooner or later, those who win are those who believe they can."
    • Virtue SEO - "a plan with the virtue of being practical"

SEO Consultant India
  13. No Profile Picture
    IBW

I have adjusted my text slightly, what i am worried about is losing my MSN ratings, i am number one for anything to do with family holidays also Marco i am just too busy to be spending hours getting backward links. I work 20 hrs a day practically anyway

Iain
  15. What do you do again?

I would say one of your major issues is the spelling, grammar and syntax of your site. IMO too many people think SEO is just about driving traffic. It does you no good to drive lots of traffic to your site if, once they see it, they dismiss it as unprofessional. I can tell you that if I arrived at your site through a search engine, I would have immediately gone elsewhere based on these factors alone.

Also, why are you defining font name, size and color over and over again throughout your code. An external style sheet can define all of this for you. (You even have header tags which could be used to define different holiday destinations being used to define text styles)

<h1 style="PADDING-LEFT: 14px; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 12px; COLOR: rgb(102,102,102); FONT-FAMILY: verdana,arial" align="center">&nbsp;</h1>

Do you really think it is necessary to use the word "superior" twice in the space of 2 sentences and apply a strong tag to it? I just can't see that being a popular search term.

<strong>Superior self catering</strong>
    <strong>superior mobile homes</strong>

France Holidays - noun
    Spanish Holidays -adjective
    Italian Holidays -adjective
    Cyprus Holidays -noun
    Florida Holidays -noun

IMO you should be consistent as this is a main link menu

Home Special Offers French Parcs Spanish Parcs Italian Parcs Florida Villas Cyprus Villas

This is your first link menu and yet you spell them Parc here and (Park) once you link through

<title>
    Family holidays France Spain Italy Cyprus Florida - France Holidays
    </title>

This title could use some work

I would work on adding more informative content and getting links (writing travel articles and press releases and submitting them would be a good way to do this)
  17. No Profile Picture
    IBW

Originally Posted by jcbridges
    I would say one of your major issues is the spelling, grammar and syntax of your site. IMO too many people think SEO is just about driving traffic. It does you no good to drive lots of traffic to your site if, once they see it, they dismiss it as unprofessional. I can tell you that if I arrived at your site through a search engine, I would have immediately gone elsewhere based on these factors alone.

Also, why are you defining font name, size and color over and over again throughout your code. An external style sheet can define all of this for you. (You even have header tags which could be used to define different holiday destinations being used to define text styles)

<h1 style="PADDING-LEFT: 14px; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 12px; COLOR: rgb(102,102,102); FONT-FAMILY: verdana,arial" align="center">&nbsp;</h1>

Do you really think it is necessary to use the word "superior" twice in the space of 2 sentences and apply a strong tag to it? I just can't see that being a popular search term.

<strong>Superior self catering</strong>
    <strong>superior mobile homes</strong>

France Holidays - noun
    Spanish Holidays -adjective
    Italian Holidays -adjective
    Cyprus Holidays -noun
    Florida Holidays -noun

IMO you should be consistent as this is a main link menu

Home Special Offers French Parcs Spanish Parcs Italian Parcs Florida Villas Cyprus Villas

This is your first link menu and yet you spell them Parc here and (Park) once you link through

<title>
    Family holidays France Spain Italy Cyprus Florida - France Holidays
    </title>

This title could use some work

I would work on adding more informative content and getting links (writing travel articles and press releases and submitting them would be a good way to do this)
    Thanks for your input, i can't see where the spelling mistakes are that you mention - parks & parcs are dependent on what country you are from but i wouldn't have thought this would have made any difference.
    I am not technical so i don't understand your section on external sheet style.
    can you tell me what improvements you would make to my title please.

thanks in advance
    Iain
  19. My SE ran out of Gas...
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Spellings depends on countries, I agree, but not on where it from, but where it TARGET...

I hope...
  21. What do you do again?

If you are targeting different languages then it would be better to have different pages translated into these languages. It will give you deeper penetration and add lots of indexable content. There was a thread on that a while back that had some great info here:

http://forums.seochat.com/google-optimization-7/top-10-seo-tricks--advanced-74443.html?&highlight=site+translation

As far as style sheets go, you can use external CSS to define any and all style thoughout your site. Using this method has several advantages:
    1. CSS has great accessiblity across many browsers and platforms
    2. Much easier to make modifications
    3. Takes out a lot of unnecessary code from the top of your pages, moving your content up.

You can use <H1>, <H2>, <H3> to define your headers in heirarchal importance.

As far as your titles go, you mention France twice in your home page title (once will do just fine) and you mention it on titles referring to other countries as well. This is a little spammy and misleading to include France in the title of a page that is not about France at all.

KW research will help too. When searching "holidays in france" or "france holidays" or "french holidays" which is the most popular search term? What other terms might drive higher conversion traffic? For instance what about "cheap holidays france" or "value holidays france"? After doing some KW research using any number of tools available: seochat.com, seomoz.org, Overture, Word Tracker, etc. etc. then look at your competitors that are ranking on the first page for some of these. Look at their source and see what they are doing. Don't just copy them, but see how their choice of titles and such is directing targeted traffic to them.
    Last edited by jcbridges; Mar 23rd, 2006 at 09:32 AM.
  23. blog.brightonvibes.com

The PR number itself is not important really. Its the traffic and the results in the SERPS that are important.

PR is a bonus that will come on top of these things once you achieve them.

The other issue is that holidays, realestate etc are all very competitive areas and thus makes things a lot harder. Plus I can tell you know that there are many people doing FAR MORE optimisation and having bigger sites than you currently have.

The key in this situation is going to be backlinks from other high profile and related websites. It's certainly not impossible, but for this particular industry and what you are trying to achieve it is going to take more than a lot of work.

Dave
    Can you believe this site is powered by wordpress? : Hottogs.com
  25. No Profile Picture
    IBW

what i don't understand is the NUMBER 1 on Google for my main keyword "family holidays france" has only 11 backward links, hardly any keywords and poor content - all the opposite of what we are talking about when it comes to Google optimisation - yet it's No1
  27. What do you do again?

Originally Posted by IBW
    what i don't understand is the NUMBER 1 on Google for my main keyword "family holidays france" has only 11 backward links, hardly any keywords and poor content - all the opposite of what we are talking about when it comes to Google optimisation - yet it's No1
    When I do a Google search for this keyword I get www.keycamp.co.uk which is showing 143 BL in Google (This number is just a small sampling of total BL though) 920 indexed pages (although a lot of these are supplemental) and the internet archive shows the url has been active since 1999 (This is a HUGE factor with Google)
  29. What do you do again?

Originally Posted by sunnymonkey
    The PR number itself is not important really. Its the traffic and the results in the SERPS that are important.

PR is a bonus that will come on top of these things once you achieve them.

The other issue is that holidays, realestate etc are all very competitive areas and thus makes things a lot harder. Plus I can tell you know that there are many people doing FAR MORE optimisation and having bigger sites than you currently have.

The key in this situation is going to be backlinks from other high profile and related websites. It's certainly not impossible, but for this particular industry and what you are trying to achieve it is going to take more than a lot of work.

Dave
    Hey Sunny, in your sig don't you mean "You're a jerk" as in "You are a jerk" instead of "Your a jerk" which implies that the "jerk is yours" If you're (as in you are) going to brag in your (as in belonging to you) sig, at least get that right!

Comments on this post

• john alphaone agrees : What's money, eh, compared to the respect of your peers derived from good grammar?