Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. SEO Ninja
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Can't get on Google...please help

So i've designed a site for my father, and certainly done my homework on SEO. The site is new, and has a relatively high ranking on MSN search, but for the life of me I cannot get it to register at all on google. I have submitted it to a number of online directories and search engines, though it hasnt shown up on DMOZ so far. One of the problems I face is that this isn't a commercial enterprise, so there is no room for unsightly link exchanging. Also, he wants to keep the content to a minimum, so it's hard to have a high keyword density. The site does use frames (sorry everybody), though everything is setup appropriately in the NOFRAMES tag. The address is http://www.allanbloom.com/ so please let me know if there is something i'm doing horribly wrong or if you have any suggestions for helping me get the site ranked on google.
  3. The Master

get some links to your site, it has none.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

"this isn't a commercial enterprise, so there is no room for unsightly link exchanging".

Why? Why no room and why does it have to be unsightly?
    Fingers crossed!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Beside getting some income links, try to make your website more search engine friendly. You can start by making your code valid (validator.w3.org), also if you want to keep your picture links, at least put some ALT and TITLE tags.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by MABDesign
    So i've designed a site for my father, and certainly done my homework on SEO. The site is new
    Lets not forget that even once you get some links, your new site will most likely also suffer the dreaded "Sandbox" effect
  11. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by ledfish
    Lets not forget that even once you get some links, your new site will most likely also suffer the dreaded "Sandbox" effect
    [rant]
    This is what annoys me about general theories, people just throw it in for the sake of it. Here is a site with no links, zero optimization amongst a whole host of other issues. The last thing they should be worrying themselves about is a theory. First start doing the nuts and bolts things that get a site ranked. Then if you want to blame individual factors of the "sandbox" there can be a discussion. One of my biggest pet peeves is taking the easy route and saying "sandbox" when there hasn't even been any optimization done.
    [/rant]
  13. The Master

Sometimes I wish I could rant like that.

God dam hippie, stealing my thunder.

Actually FTP downloads really piss me off, why ftp downloads, they dont work with network firewalls, why has every download site from tucows to download.com got FTP downloads, why not just put http downloads, its stupid and annoying, im in work, my network firewall automatically blocks them and if I want to download something via FTP I have to go mess with the server.
    I cant be the only one as well..its STUPID.

PS will google follow an ftp link to a PDF file by the way? (just wondering)

also in relation to this thread, just submit your site to some directories.
    Last edited by darksat; Nov 18th, 2004 at 05:44 AM.
  15. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

I actually was going to reference your original post but then it didn't go with my rant. It may not have been beautifully written or wordy or etc etc but it was to the point. You have to do the basics before you can start blaming it on "Google Hating You" or any of these things. Incidentaly, I do believe in nearly all the factors commonly lumped into one to form the "sandbox theory". However, in my many postings to forums of other types (SEO is one category of the whole forum which is usually about something else), so many newbies come in to ask why their site doesn't rank and all the other newbies chant "sandbox", "sandbox", "sandbox". I am probably the only one to actually take a look at the site and it is horrendous. If the PR fairies gave them a 10, they probably still wouldn't rank for their supposed "keywords". Then they come back 6 months later to ask why they are still in the sandbox. To me this hurts those who really do have an optimized site and ARE being ranked much lower than they should be. The factors should be discussed in earnest but merley chanting "sandbox" does more harm then good.
  17. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Hi

The site is actualy in Google - it has been indexed but has no content to it. This would be read in due course.....
    save for the fact thatyour body tag closes before the no frames element of the frame set!
    This effectively shows Google that it has no body content - what so ever!

Read this article here on frames - http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/ht.../noframes.html

Re jig your HTML code so that the norames element and content is inside the body and Google will index some content and rank you
    accordingly.
    I would definately suggest you get some links to the site otherwise it will not get re indexed or updated much at all!

Cheers
  19. SEO Ninja

Originally Posted by tstolber
    Hi

The site is actualy in Google - it has been indexed but has no content to it. This would be read in due course.....
    save for the fact thatyour body tag closes before the no frames element of the frame set!
    This effectively shows Google that it has no body content - what so ever!

Read this article here on frames - http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/ht.../noframes.html

Re jig your HTML code so that the norames element and content is inside the body and Google will index some content and rank you
    accordingly.
    I would definately suggest you get some links to the site otherwise it will not get re indexed or updated much at all!

Cheers

Okay the noframes thing is a horrible mistake and thanks for pointing that out. As far as the code-checking goes, i can never seem to make any sense of it. Most of the time when I run error checks in Homesite (and occasionally in Dreamweaver) the error messages make absolutely no sense to me. I'll speak to my father about putting links on there. Speaking of which does MSN not need the NOFRAMES tag since i've obviously done that completely wrong?
  21. SEO Ninja

Originally Posted by evoleto
    Beside getting some income links, try to make your website more search engine friendly. You can start by making your code valid (validator.w3.org), also if you want to keep your picture links, at least put some ALT and TITLE tags.
    I'm a bit confused by this...I have alt tags on every single image on the site.
  23. SEO Ninja

Also, Can i effectively get links to my site without link exchanging?
  25. Contributing User

27. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Ahemmm..
    Excuse me for being a naive but
    <------Why Isnt even the description showing up in Google ?-------->
  29. Contributing User

Because the page has been found but the <edit>html file's</edit> content hasn't been indexed
    Last edited by Spaggie; Nov 18th, 2004 at 03:46 PM. Reason: because even when you talk to people in 12 words they still manage to miss the point
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: