1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Canonicals from sub-domain to main domain: How much content relevancy matters?

Hi community,

I have this different scenario of using canonicals to solve the duplicate content issue in our site.

Our subdomain and main domain have similar landing pages of same topics with content relevancy about 50% to 70%. Both pages will be in SERP and confusing users; possibly search engine too. We would like solve this by using canonicals on subdomain pointing to main domain pages. Even our intention is to only to show main domain pages in SERP. I wonder how Google handles it? Will the canonicals will be respected with this content relevancy? What happens if they don't respect? Just ignore or penalise for trying to do this?

3. the mango demon
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

New Delhi
    You say 50-70% content relevancy. Did you mean 50-70% content duplication?
    I don't understand how 50-70% relevant is a problem.
    If they are very similar in content (assuming that is what you mean) and you want to rank only one version, then you can use canonical tags. Google honors subdomain to domain and domain to someotherdomain canonical mapping.
    Lastly, if you want to retain your visitors on the subdomain for branding or design issues while crediting the main page from which the content is copied then this method should work well as you expect
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

If you want to rank only main domain page in Google SERP, you can disallow the subdomain page in robots.txt file so that Googlebot won't crawl it and hence will not index your page. Other option is you can use canonical tag to tell Google so that Google will understand that the content on the subdomain is from main domain and consider the main domain content as original.