#1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    0

    canonicalization question


    I Have a few question in regards to canonicalization any help would be greatly appreciated.

    If you dont use a canonical tag and you have duplicate content will google bother to index any of the pages (try and work out correct url and show) or will it just not index pages at all?

    what would be seen as acceptable amount of duplicate content in terms of percentage? Considering most pages will have duplicate content, such as job boards that show jobs in different location but have a default radius that shows jobs that will also show in other location landing pages.

    Google recommend using a canonical tag instead of using a robot.txt and blocking. Why do they suggest this? can it create problems if you use robot.txt? if so whats the reason?.
  2. #2
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    180
    Rep Power
    324
    Originally Posted by Martinuk
    If you dont use a canonical tag and you have duplicate content will google bother to index any of the pages (try and work out correct url and show) or will it just not index pages at all?
    Yes, Google will do it's best to sort out what page to show in the search results. It doesn't mean it you should let this go unchecked.

    Originally Posted by Martinuk
    what would be seen as acceptable amount of duplicate content in terms of percentage? Considering most pages will have duplicate content, such as job boards that show jobs in different location but have a default radius that shows jobs that will also show in other location landing pages.
    No exact percentage, just do your best to keep it under control.

    Originally Posted by Martinuk
    Google recommend using a canonical tag instead of using a robot.txt and blocking. Why do they suggest this? can it create problems if you use robot.txt? if so whats the reason?.
    Both can create problems if used incorrectly but robots.txt is far more likely to cause severe problems as the canonical tag is only seen as a suggestion. If Google thinks you screwed something up with canonical, it will work around it. However, robots.txt will block Google from crawling completely.

    Use canonical instead of robots.txt because if your page variants have any link popularity it will consolidate it to the preferred page.
    Last edited by ryandiscord; Feb 1st, 2016 at 09:15 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Canonicalization
    By Michaelgillen in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Oct 21st, 2011, 05:53 AM
  2. SEO ip canonicalization
    By Seijeto in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Oct 15th, 2011, 05:48 PM
  3. Www and non www canonicalization question
    By jpf566 in forum Search Engine Optimization
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Oct 4th, 2011, 08:02 PM
  4. Url canonicalization
    By poolguy in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Sep 30th, 2008, 05:56 PM
  5. URL canonicalization
    By Sally3 in forum SEO Help (General Chat)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 12th, 2008, 11:19 PM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo