1. No Profile Picture
    Vla
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Canonical Use issue - All in SEO Pack

The plugin for wordpress All in Seo Pack has added automatically the canonical element to all the blog pages.
    This is ok?
    Because now I have the canonical element also on duplicate pages.
    For example: on the page website.com/page355.html the plugin added the <link rel="canonical" href="example.com/page355.html" />
    But the page is duplicate, so why All in Seo pack treat all the pages of the website like originals

Does anyone of you have this problems with this plugin?
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Vla
    Because now I have the canonical element also on duplicate pages.
    Isn't that the whole point of adding a canonical to a duplicate page? I really do not get some people on here with there posts, i hope it's not just me lol.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Vla
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Isn't that the whole point of adding a canonical to a duplicate page? I really do not get some people on here with there posts, i hope it's not just me lol.
    If you cannot understand the question please don`t answer... :

On the duplicate page: website.com/page355.html , the plugin added the <link rel="canonical" href="example.com/page355.html" />

This it seems right to you? The plugin adds the canonical element on the duplicate page, and treats this page like the duplicate is the original... and if he plugin is doing this to all the pages... what is the original page after all?

So I am waiting a response from someone who actually understands what I mean... and of course understands what is canonical all about.. no just people who watch a matt cutts video on youtube and they say that are seo gurus..
    Last edited by Vla; Feb 16th, 2013 at 09:14 AM.
  7. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

You could explain it a little better to be honest.

I am assuming from your post that you have two pages (one a duplicate of the other) with different canonical tags.

Grizzler is correct that the canonical tag is to reduce issues associated with duplicate pages, but the duplicated page should have the canonical tag that refers to the original page, not just its own URL.

If you do have two URLs that are duplicates with their own (same URL) canonical tags then yes you do have an issue and it is an error of the plug in.
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Vla
    On the duplicate page: website.com/page355.html , the plugin added the <link rel="canonical" href="example.com/page355.html" />

This it seems right to you? The plugin adds the canonical element on the duplicate page, and treats this page like the duplicate is the original... and if he plugin is doing this to all the pages... what is the original page after all?
    I guess your right, i don't understand jibber jabber. You kind of answered the question already at the end, what is the original page? When you know add it to the plugin, it should solve the problem.

Now go and watch some videos!

Comments on this post

• fathom agrees : Oh come now... after 10 beers you always understand jibber jabber!
  11. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Frankly I wouldn't use the plugin... it's only for SEO amateurs that don't understand the basics in SEO servicing.

Remove calendar and archive widgets on the blog and never leave a category with 1 post forever solves all but one canonical issue.

Then direct www. to no-www (or vice versa) solves the last one.

Now you have ZERO canonical issues that require a canonical meta.

Comments on this post

• dzine agrees : Yep - I don't like to depend on those fuzzy plugins either :)