1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Canonical Tags - Help!

Hello,

I have two websites, that have the exact same content on them, totally different domain names. Should I be using a canonical tag on the website we want to be seen? If so, how do I do that?

Thanks!
  3. -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by AMDmarketing
    Hello,

I have two websites, that have the exact same content on them, totally different domain names. Should I be using a canonical tag on the website we want to be seen? If so, how do I do that?

Thanks!
    Why do you have two sites the same is one a test site or.. and If you don't want one to be seen why don't you just noindex it?
  5. No Profile Picture

I'm not even sure what that means. The other site is in the process of being built, but the content now is just the same as our main site.

I also have two URL's that go to our main site, however even if you type the second one it, it will show up as the first one, so I'm not sure if I need to do anything with that.

The people who built the websites for my company screwed up a few things so I'm new to this and just trying to fix some things.

Thanks.
  7. -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by AMDmarketing
    I'm not even sure what that means. The other site is in the process of being built, but the content now is just the same as our main site

Thanks.
    Oh so are you making a new site and you're going to be redirecting the old one to the new one but its in the process of being built?

You put this in your head section

<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW">

noindex tells bots not to index the site so it won't be put into google and seen as duplicant content, then when you're ready to move sites you can remove the noindex and 301 redirect the old site to the new one and notify google in your webmaster tools.

Edit> Should be careful how I word that, the noindex tag tells tells bots not to index the page its on, so you need it on everypage.

Comments on this post

• zico82 agrees
    • sansoft agrees
    Last edited by DarrenHaye; Feb 24th, 2012 at 02:40 PM.
  9. No Profile Picture

okay got it!
    Thanks!
  11. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Darren has given you some advice, just one caveat here, make sure the site that you end up redirecting and the site that you end up blocking is the correct one in the search engines eyes.

Search for a text string on the site, the site that is returned first is highly likely to be the one seen as the original, and thus more authoritative.

This would be the domain to stick with. It is entirely possible that the domain you want to be your main domain has been devalued and even 301 redirecting and noindexing the other domain will not give you good results initially.

Unfortunately, I see this kind of thing far too much. There is remedial action that can be taken but it is not turbulence free.
  13. No Profile Picture

Playing around with your main website homepage and redirecting for testing purposes is not the proper way to build sites. You should have a separate folder called /dev or /beta or something to test your new site. You don't want to be messing around with the homepage and robot redirects like that because if the SE's come and scrape your site, they may be confused and think you changed your site and it is just a redirect, which is bad for SEO juju.

Comments on this post

• DarrenHaye agrees : lol always have to be careful of the juju :P