Thread: Canonical Issue

1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Canonical Issue

Firstly wanted to say hello to everyone - have just joined the site and hope I can add some value, as well as trying to solve my own 'www dot' issue I am having with my website.

Website is 10 pages. All 10 were indexed as 'non www.' which I did not want grrrrr! I went into my webmaster tools and selected the option to display the site 'www' as my preferred domain.

My question is: will all the indexed pages update themselves and naturally change to the www. version naturally?
    I am not in any rush for this to happen - as long as it eventually does.
    I don't really want to have 2 versions of my site in Googles index, but also not to keen on using the 301.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.
    Darren.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by DarrenJ
    My question is: will all the indexed pages update themselves and naturally change to the www. version naturally?
    I don't really want to have 2 versions of my site in Googles index, but also not to keen on using the 301.
    Darren.
    Also from London not an seo or web designer a Builder in London
    So thought Id have a stab in the dark at answering your question being a Londoner as well and also had the same thing with my site when it was new.......

I think it depends (for google) on how Long your site has been indexed if its only been indexed for few weeks, once you start getting links to the www. version google should no in time what the correct url is = www. but if people start linking to the incorrect = non www. version you will loose the link juice from these links if no 301 redirects are in place and better to have one version of your site no confusion for the search engines then.

Submitting a xml site map in your google webmaster tools might be a good idea as that's what i did and it helped me.

Yahoo in my Field of work is a different kettle of fish and will display random urls even with links.

The above is what has worked for me from reading here and is what i think is the correct answer Darren (I am a builder not an seo)

If I am incorrect or have missed something important someone should post to put in right.
    Last edited by Jim1; Sep 6th, 2009 at 03:36 PM.
  5. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Get keen on using the 301. It's the accepted practice.

Firstly wanted to say hello to everyone - have just joined the site and hope I can add some value, as well as trying to solve my own 'www dot' issue I am having with my website.

Website is 10 pages. All 10 were indexed as 'non www.' which I did not want grrrrr! I went into my webmaster tools and selected the option to display the site 'www' as my preferred domain.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.
    Darren.
  7. Contributing User

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Get keen on using the 301. It's the accepted practice.
    I use a sitebuilder tool for my website which I why I was not too keen on using the 301. Does anyone have any advice on how to set it up (is it something you do through your webmaster tools, or how would you go about setting them up in sitebuilder?)

Also webmaster tools says:
    It may take some time before you see this change fully reflected in our index. All pages that currently display the non-preferred version of the URL in the index will remain in the index that way until we refresh our indexing of those pages.

Does that mean that the non preferred version WILL eventually be removed from the Google index? In which case I do not need the 301?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Does that mean that the non preferred version WILL eventually be removed from the Google index? In which case I do not need the 301?
    I think my first post answers this Darren.......

Originally Posted by JohnJ
    I think it depends (for google) on how Long your site has been indexed if its only been indexed for few weeks, once you start getting links to the www. version google should no in time what the correct url is = www. but if people start linking to the incorrect = non www. version you will loose the link juice from these links if no 301 redirects are in place and better to have one version of your site, no confusion for the search engines then.
    Last edited by ClickyB; Sep 7th, 2009 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Fixed broken quote tags ;)
  11. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Hi DJ,

Welcome to SeoChat

I agree with Jim1 and "KP".

Also - whilst you may select your preference in GWT, the setting simply instructs Googe to always include the "www" in your site urls (in their serps); it doesn't mean you will receive credit for backlinks to "the other version".

To add the necessary redirects, you have to be able to access your webserver... Most sitebuilders won't let you do that (which is a serious weakness) but you could contact the company and ask them (to give you access OR to add the redirect(s) for you).

You can also help by making sure that:
    1. All of your on-site links include the "www".
    2. All of your home page links are aimed at the domain root (excluding the filename)... eg: www.mydomain.com/ NOT www.mydomain.com/index.php etc etc
    3. Make sure that you always include the www when adding/requesting backlinks on/from other sites.

Ultimately though, if you want to be certain you don't miss out on any "linkjuice" you should try to get the redirect(s) in place somehow.

NB: For help on how to create the redirects etc see the last link below

Good Luck
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  13. Contributing User

thanks guys, much appreciated.

whilst on the topic. my site is aimed at highly competative keywords and just wondered what you guys think about having the keywords in the url.

at the moment they are: www.mysite/id01.html

would it be an option to remove those url's in my webmaster tools and replace the pages with: www.mysite/keywords.html

with the idea that now the settings in my tools state the preferred domain as the www. version - so it will list the new pages to that effect and remove all the old ones.

i am not worried about the page having to be re-indexed / links etc. as it is a fairly new site. just wondered if not having the keywords attatched to my url will prevent me breaking into the top 10 for highly competative keywords.

i am obviously aware that it is a factor - but not too sure as to what extent.

many thanks.