1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Can your internal linking structure hurt you?

My site dropped like a rock after Groundhog Day. It is a huge gallery site, structured as follows:

Main Page > 3 Gallery Index Pages > 250 Galleries > 20-40 Image Pages

One big giant pyramid, with everything linking to the page directly above it. So, an image page links to the gallery it is from, the gallery page that gallery is listed, and the main page at the top.

Each of these internal links uses keywords - so, for example, the main page has 5-6000 links to it using 'blue widgets', 'red widgets', 'widget', and 'widget galleries', for example.

I get 8-10 backlinks a week to the main page, using one of the 4 KW phrases above. All the pages have good content, no over-SEOing, etc.

My main page, PR 5, 5 years old, now loses by 50 spots to noname geocities pages, with no links in the google 'link:' command. Mine has thousands - but 99% are from my own pages. Googles says 'no penalty to my page is levied'. My questions:

A> Is this internal linking structure killing me? Is it something else?

B> What can I do to fix it?

Thank you all SO MUCH for your help. Thanks to the affiliates on my pages (something I never thought of before you all), I have the free time I need to work on my art skills. Now, I'm hoping I can get my site back to where it 'deserves', before I have to go back to a 9-5.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by McMasters
    the main page has 5-6000 links to it using 'blue widgets', 'red widgets', 'widget', and 'widget galleries', for example.
    What did you mean? Does that mean your main page has 1000s of links in it? or internal links to main page?
    Last edited by 1969g1969; Feb 26th, 2005 at 05:02 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by McMasters
    My site dropped like a rock after Groundhog Day. It is a huge gallery site, structured as follows:

Main Page > 3 Gallery Index Pages > 250 Galleries > 20-40 Image Pages
    This seems like a typical site structure that uses the breadcrum method, did you change anything else, have you tried seeing if the site somehow got sandboxed?

All things being equal it would be a shock to see your site plummet like that.

Your linking structure sounds fine.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

It is a typical breadcrumb setup - and no, I'm not sandboxed. Any other ideas?

(at least I don't think I'm sandboxed - I show the same on the -asdf and the filter=0 stuff. Am I doing something wrong?)