Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Can very similar meta description & title cause supplementals?

I read in some old posts that if a site uses the same (or similar) meta description tags & title tags on all pages, Google (possibly) will treat them as supplemental results.

The problem: I have the following site structure:

Plumbers in California, CA
    = Plumbers in San Diego, CA
    = Plumbers in Sacramento, CA
    = Plumbers in TOWN_NAME, STATE_CODE

I think to make 2 templates for meta tags, for example:

Title tag: Plumbers in TOWN_NAME, STATE NAME, Plumbing contractors & services
    Meta description: TOWN_NAME, STATE_CODE plumbing contractors for home renovation & repairs. Select plumbing contractors for your TOWN_NAME, STATE_CODE plumbing needs.

But in this way, the meta descriptions & titles for “Plumbers” category will be very similar (1-2 different words only).

Will this cause supplemental results?
    Or should I leave the meta description tag empty?

Thank you.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Title is much more important than the meta-description. The meta-descr. probably is not used for ranking purposes but it can be shown in the SERPs and - if they are written well - entice users to click on your result.

What you propose seems fairly good so far. Using both 'Plumbers' and 'Plumbing' in the title might not be necessary (word-stemming).

I have a page that is targeted for towns in a similar way and the titles/meta are similar.
  5. Contributing User

Meta tags are generally or mostly used to give a brief intro about the website before the user clicks the link to enter the website but meta description tags do have a little importance.

Make ur title unique and if possible use ur strongest keywords here.
    the template structure which u were referring to is a better option but then you would be wasting the precious title tag in terms of seo.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by mysqld
    I read in some old posts that if a site uses the same (or similar) meta description tags & title tags on all pages, Google (possibly) will treat them as supplemental results.

Meta description: TOWN_NAME, STATE_CODE plumbing contractors for home renovation & repairs. Select plumbing contractors for your TOWN_NAME, STATE_CODE plumbing needs.

But in this way, the meta descriptions & titles for “Plumbers” category will be very similar (1-2 different words only).

Thank you.
    Please change the Title, Description for your site and it is not same to same as per your competitor website. If you placing same meta tag then there is a possiblity for your site to placing your site in supplemental listing. But if you change the sentence of title and description using same word then there is a no problem for your site.

and Meta Description is useful for attracts the user for visiting your site. so having meta description is good.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Noj
    Contributing User

To my mind these will not cause supplemental results and will probably help keep you out of them.

I would also say decent content early in the code is also very important and also deep links to different pages in the site.

Originally Posted by mysqld

Thank you.

Comments on this post

• fathom agrees : The only sane logic I've read so far!
  11. SEO Gawdess
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

That kind of structure has worked pretty good for me. I add in a <variable> where ever I can without going over board.

I see you're going to have trouble with phone book listing sites, if plumbers is indeed your target.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

I have no good way to test whether very similar title and meta tags can put you into supplemental, but I have some pretty compelling evidence that making them more unique can pull you out (at least compelling to me). I have had several sites that had supplemental issues. I was able to get all of them out by working with the meta tags (although one also had extensive changes to the navigation as well, so that one doesn't count as a compelling example).

I've done this 4 times now myself and recommended it to several others, with positive feedback from some (no negative feedback, but not everyone tells me the outcome). Of course, it is also possible that the simple act of updating every page on the sites caused the removal of many pages from supplemental, or maybe something completely unrelated. Ultimately, I don't really care that much. I am less concerned with "the truth" than I am with "what works". And thus far, believing that meta tags that are too similar can be the cause and solution for supplemental indexing has worked for me thus far.

Keep in mind though, these were site that did not have other common causes like no unique content or no links pointing to many pages. Fixing the meta tags on sites like that will likely do no good.

"Live never to be ashamed of what is written about you. Even if what is written is not true" -- Richard Bach

Yahoo Store SEO
  15. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Before you response to questions about supplemental results you first need to understand it...

supplementary is defined as: "added to complete or make up a deficiency"...

In this case it would be a deficiency is in results and in comparison to the search query... and the two key words of that is results and query...

The RESULTS are for the QUERY and the person interested in the results is looking for PAGES of information NOT TITLE ELEMENTS & META TAGS... relatively same or similar pages of information that could be easily support by the page in primary results.

You guys have got to stop thinking like a business with commercial interests in results and start thinking like a search engine engine interested in keeping results simple for the average user [which is someone NOT INTERESTED IN PROMOTING ANYTHING!]

Title Elements and Meta Tags have absolutely no impact on primary to supplementary results.

The BEST WAY TO SEE THE REVERSE EFFECT is review websites that have 3000 words per page or more with relatively small repetitive navigation text [links]... you won't see any pages in supplemental [unless they are largely copied pages]

Comments on this post

• oseymour agrees
  17. seo ranter
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by fathom
    You guys have got to stop thinking like a business with commercial interests in results and start thinking like a search engine engine interested in keeping results simple for the average user [which is someone NOT INTERESTED IN PROMOTING ANYTHING!]

Title Elements and Meta Tags have absolutely no impact on primary to supplementary results.

The BEST WAY TO SEE THE REVERSE EFFECT is review websites that have 3000 words per page or more with relatively small repetitive navigation text [links]... you won't see any pages in supplemental [unless they are largely copied pages]
    well said
  19. Angel down from Heaven

It is advice to use unique meta tags in each page within the site so that every page can be seen by search engine as unique from others. Meta description is also use as an overview of the page.
  21. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by Janna122003
    It is advice to use unique meta tags in each page within the site so that every page can be seen by search engine as unique from others. Meta description is also use as an overview of the page.
    Deleting Meta's works better... the "page" is what it is and you can't get a better overview than the real content on the page.

Comments on this post

• prairiedweller agrees : it is what it is...good bottom liner
  23. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Deleting Meta's works better... the "page" is what it is and you can't get a better overview than the real content on the page.
    But Fathom, I think that meta description can be helpful in plugging in additional textual matter in image-based pages.

What do u think about it?

SEO FAQs - You might find your answer here.
    SEOchat Forum Rules - Read Before You Post
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Meta tags is very useful in search engine, so you should consider it very carefully.

Bill

Comments on this post

• pro_seo
  27. Angel down from Heaven

Even meta tags is value less when it comes to keyword rankings it's better to have meta tags than nothing. For some search engine meta tags are still a factor.
  29. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Rod, tell me why you think this is. We've been knocking this back and forth for awhile now.

What valid poof do you have to back this up?

I have mine...you got yours?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page: