Title max caracters: 60
    Description max caracters 150
    key words max caracters 800

Is this correct?

Thanks to all

Andy
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I don't think that is a hard rule as in you'll not be listed if you go over, it's more a guideline. I would actualy keep well under the guideline limits esspecially for the title, the more precise the better.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I think (my own understanding) it is best for the title tag to have only the primary keyword phrase you want to optimize.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Im not talking about the content. I have experienced with the content myself with good results. Im asking about the number of caracters.

Thanks anyway.

Someone else opinion?
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I've removed the post content, because it comes from an original article at http://www.seologic.com/faq/title-tags.php.

Comments on this post

• Andy1664 agrees : Excellent Advice
    • primelibra agrees : thanks
    Last edited by dazzlindonna; Jul 25th, 2005 at 03:02 PM. Reason: This post is using content from elsewhere
  11. Son Of Spam

Originally Posted by chechogr
    Hi to all,

Can someone correct me if im wrong

Title max caracters: 60
    Description max caracters 150
    key words max caracters 800

Is this correct?

Thanks to all

Andy
    I keep my title the same as my kw, description, and what my page is optimized for based on a popular keyword phrase related to my site. Each page optimizated that way but with a different kw phrase. gets better serps.

I use to use long titles, kw, and desriptions, That did poorly. Shorter titles work better, at least for me. I never count charactors.
  13. Disregard Logic, Be Happy

why is it that everyone always needs to know what the maximums are? like the example above, couldn't it just read "Title Tag SEO" or something similar instead of cramming as much info as you can? long title tags are something you start of with in SEO, and then move away from. if i look at a site and see a nice, short relevent title, i can assume my time will be well spent at this location.

let your content describe the site, the title tag is just the teaser
    The Source of All Things Must Be Understood.
  15. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Grin.

Wmw regulars like to do threads with TWO titles. Imagine that (and imagine their pages' titles - LOL)
    ...please help me w/ the real Redscowl Bluesingsky...how2 check backlinks...now postin' @ SEO Refugee ...
    ·`)~ LOL now that I finally have a paypal account, I'm charging 19,- for SEO advice via PM. Seriously...
  17. Contributing User

agreed, i have had the most success with

keyword 1 | keyword 2
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by sufyaaan
    The W3C (http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/TITLE.html) states: "The title should ideally be less than 64 characters in length. That is, many applications will display document titles in window titles, menus, etc where there is only limited room."

A 64-character limit is a good starting place, but oversimplifies things a bit.

Google will display up to 66 characters of a title tag, cropping to complete words. For example, the following title is exactly 68 characters, so Google leaves off the last word in the title when displaying the website in its search results:

Title = Creating Title Tags for Search Engine Optimization and Web Usability
    Google Display = Creating Title Tags for Search Engine Optimization and Web ...

Google isn't the only thing to consider when deciding on the optimal title tag limit. Yahoo! has an absolute cutoff in presenting titles of exactly 120 characters, which is significantly longer and gives the webmaster much more space to present longer titles. If your title go above 120 characters, the title will simply be truncated, whether the display title ends in a whole word or not. That is quite different from Google, which ends the display title with the last complete word which ended before the 66 character limit was reached.

The best approach for creating a longer title is to ensure that the title works for both Google and Yahoo. The optimal title tag should be thought of as consisting of a primary title (for Google) and a secondary title (for Yahoo!). Your primary title length should be limited to 66 characters, including spaces and punctuation. Your secondary title can be any length up to the point where the full title reaches 120 characters in length. You can create a longer title if you wish, but be aware that anything beyond 120 characters will be cropped in the Yahoo! search results, and no one will ever see it.

On Google, the title tag above will appear like this:
    Creating Title Tags for Search Engine Optimization & Web Usability ...

On Yahoo, the title will appear like this:
    Creating Title Tags for Search Engine Optimization & Web Usability - Search Engine Marketing FAQ - SEO Book
    What about description and keywords?
    Last edited by Wit; Jul 25th, 2005 at 03:12 PM. Reason: removed live link from quote
  21. Disregard Logic, Be Happy

in both of those examples you were given, the title tags were simply way too long to have any meaning. if i have to start reading all the way across the top of my browser, i stop and don't even bother. at that point the title tag is useless and it isn't really a title tag. it's your meta description for all practical purposes. and if the webmaster couldn't even show restraint in the title tag, what would make me think they're going to do so with there content? i'm ready for much fluff and little content.

for title, descript and keywords, be direct-relevent-and succinct. just because you can fit 20 cookies in your mouth, it doesn't mean that it's a wise idea.

Comments on this post

• Wit agrees : Thab if fo wewy bwue :)
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by okguyjames
    in both of those examples you were given, the title tags were simply way too long to have any meaning. if i have to start reading all the way across the top of my browser, i stop and don't even bother. at that point the title tag is useless and it isn't really a title tag. it's your meta description for all practical purposes. and if the webmaster couldn't even show restraint in the title tag, what would make me think they're going to do so with there content? i'm ready for much fluff and little content.

for title, descript and keywords, be direct-relevent-and succinct. just because you can fit 20 cookies in your mouth, it doesn't mean that it's a wise idea.
    WEll,
    When you rank for a word on google it shows the title that fits, but in the description it happens differently. The searchengine looks into the description for the exact word searched. And it show the portion of desc containing those words. That doesnt happen with the title.
    So, as you see people could stuff many key word on the description just for the searches to show them when necessary. But obviously putting a description of 2000 caracters would look like spam for SEs.

Does someone know how many caracters are a maximum?

I need at least a yellow belt here.

Thanks
  25. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Why would you need a huge description on just the one page? Don't you agree it's better to have more, exactly to-the-point pages with concise, fitting and enticing descriptions and titles?

I wonder: what good would a 2000-char description do (on Google). They much rather show a snippet of your REAL content (the part that surrounds the search phrase) anyway...

Comments on this post

• Bud Wiser agrees : absolutely. My pages are optimized each for thier own kw phrase I suspect would be used on a serp.
  27. SEO Earthquake!
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Belt color has litle to do with knowledge and experience and more to do with free time to post. G doesn't always post the description or title. And G hardly uses the META info for defining SERP as it's too easy for developers to include garbage (like maybe an extra dozen KWs...?). Not that it doesn't help - it does, just don't expect #1 because you used the "right" amount of charecters in your header.

Anyway, there is some debate but most places I looked suggest 200-300 max with many claiming 255 as the magic number.

Good luck!
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

finally a good answer:
    http://www.seo-guy.com/forum/showthread.php?p=57782#post57782
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: