Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Can page title, h1 tag and meta desc be same?

Can page title, h1 tag and meta desc be exactly same in the web page?
    Yes I know that we should introduce minor keyword variations in title and h1
    But I want all three to be 100% same!
    Will it be good as per SEO?

Anurag
    <snip>
    Last edited by ClickyB; Nov 15th, 2010 at 07:51 AM. Reason: removed url
  3. Self-managed!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Why would you really want that? Those spots should be used to best describe what your web page is about and also use them for better SEO results. Sometimes Google uses meta description in the SERPs under page title. Do you think that having the same thing in both title and meta description would attract many clicks even if you manage to rank somehow? I doubt it.

So, be creative and describe what your page is about using the right (key)words in page title, meta description and H's.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Because I'll be generating 1000's of web pages using scripts. I can not afford to edit them. That's my problem.
    But will search engines penalize me for exactness?
  7. Self-managed!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Ah... that sounds like big time spam . If they'll penalize you... hmm... you could get away with it for a while but sooner or later I strive to believe your pages will be treated like broken teeth.

Comments on this post

• fathom : You can't get penalized for things that don't work anyway ...that just don't work!
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

For meta desc at least, it would be better to leave it out than auto generate it; all that the description does is gets shown to users if Google thinks it is a useful descriptor of the page. If G doesn't think that, it will create a snippet form the text on the page, which is usually better than a generic description identical to the page title.
    And yes, it does sound like spam, but it might not be.

Comments on this post

• WhiteHatSEOMktg agrees
  11. Yeah, baby! I'm BAD.
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

You can synonimize titles if you really have to. You can do this automatically too. Not that it would be the best solution, but at least it is better than the same title over and over. Also I don't understand why you can generate different page content, but can't generate different page titles. If the content of each page is different - the issue is 100% technical. Use the same way you generate content to generate titles as well and you're done. If the content is the same - you're doing stupid thing multiplying the same text 1000+ times. It won't lead you to anything but ban.

However, a really good advice would be to reconsider everything and ask yourself why do you want to put 1000+ very similar pages (they are similar after all, aren't they?) at all. Similar content is unlikely a winner. Unique content is.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by devil's_brother
    You can synonimize titles if you really have to. You can do this automatically too. Not that it would be the best solution, but at least it is better than the same title over and over. Also I don't understand why you can generate different page content, but can't generate different page titles. If the content of each page is different - the issue is 100% technical. Use the same way you generate content to generate titles as well and you're done. If the content is the same - you're doing stupid thing multiplying the same text 1000+ times. It won't lead you to anything but ban.

However, a really good advice would be to reconsider everything and ask yourself why do you want to put 1000+ very similar pages (they are similar after all, aren't they?) at all. Similar content is unlikely a winner. Unique content is.
    Friend you've misunderstood my question. I've never said that I'll be making titles same. Since 1000's of pages will be generated using script each having different content but for each web page (which will actually be offering download of 1 file)the title, h1 and meta-desc will be same since I can't manually go over and edit properties of each web page.
  15. nobody
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

meta description isn't use for ranking and only used to display your site in SERP so a quick answer would be yes. But I also like to suggest shorter more targetted <h1>...<h6> tags
    Enterprise SEO Consultant at Sefati & Company
  17. Yeah, baby! I'm BAD.

the title, h1 and meta-desc will be same since I can't manually go over and edit properties of each web page.
    My bad. Title = h1 is ok, imho. Meta description isn't crucial so I wouldn't bother with it at all.
  19. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by rag_gupta
    Friend you've misunderstood my question. I've never said that I'll be making titles same. Since 1000's of pages will be generated using script each having different content but for each web page (which will actually be offering download of 1 file)the title, h1 and meta-desc will be same since I can't manually go over and edit properties of each web page.
    The only valid SEO merit comes from Title Element... do those and ignore everything else and you have the maximum you can achieve... without changing the value of links.
  21. Anand Mistry

Originally Posted by fathom
    The only valid SEO merit comes from Title Element... do those and ignore everything else and you have the maximum you can achieve... without changing the value of links.
    I am agree with following equation.
    H1 Tag = Title Tag

But, I am observing some thing different for my website.

My website is on 7th position for Leather Office Chairs keyword in USA. My URL is as follow.

http://www.spiderofficechairs.com/23_29/office-chairs/leather-office-chairs.html

I observed that, my competitors are performing very well with Leather Office Chairs = H1 Tag.

I want to get higher rank for Leather Office Chairs so, Is It advisable to put only Leather Office Chairs as an H1 Tag?
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Can u pl. specify your competitor's url's?

I'd like to verify your statement.

Thanks
    Anurag
  25. Anand Mistry

Originally Posted by rag_gupta
    I'd like to verify your statement.

Thanks
    Anurag
    If you will search leather office chairs in Google.com so, you can find out my competitors. I am on 7th position. So, 1 to 6 are my actual competitors for leather office chairs keyword.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I think meta description does come into the algo.

The keyword seached on gets highlighted in bold along with the title tag and domain name.

Look at an adwords keyword the quality score can be increased by inputting it into the ad text which shows a reward relevance.

Can you not just pull the first paragraph into the meta description?
  29. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by apg1985
    I think meta description does come into the algo.

The keyword seached on gets highlighted in bold along with the title tag and domain name.
    The fact that your search words are highlighted in the snippet relating to each search result doesn't mean that the snippet-text (or even the meta-description) is taken into account in determining the serps position.
    Take a look here where Matt Cutts says:
    Originally Posted by Matt Cutts
    Even though we sometimes use the description meta tag for the snippets we show, we still don't use the description meta tag in our ranking.
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo