1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Can lots of changes knock you out?

I've been working on http://www.breathcure.com, main keywords "halitosis" and "bad breath." The site is many years old, PR4, with no optimization. The owner of the site has some kind of "link manager" that I don't think is too cool, but anyway I made some very basic changes to the website and it started to move up in the rankings in all eight of our keywords. On the two main keywords we were #18 on halitosis and #70 on bad breath.

About two weeks ago I changed the title, keyword, and description tags on almost all the pages. Many of the page titles were the same, all the keywords on each page were the same, and there were many duplicate descriptions. Pretty basic SEO. There was one old page that was ranking top ten for "halitosis cure" so I never touched it.

Yesterday all my rankings went poof, even the old, untouched page that was top ten. I did everything according to Google's book. No black hat anything. It would be much appreciated if anyone could shed some light on this!

Michael
  3. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Don't panic yet. If G just picked up your changes... they may be being digested. Give it a couple of days... if you see no improvement... then panic.

I hope you saved copies of the old pages. If so, you may have to reset and do it a little at a time to see impact. Doing things wholesale does not allow you to track individual impact of your tweaks.

When playing with titles and/or content on my money keywords, I usually hit a page or keyword at a time and see impact before I move to the next page or keyword. Safer that way.
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  5. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

May be a time filter, if you've changed meta tags etc. you won't be competting with those words if they're nowhere in your content (on that specific page). If you're improving then do'nt worry, you'll com eback bigger and better than ever.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by djstreet
    if you've changed meta tags etc. you won't be competting with those words if they're nowhere in your content (on that specific page).
    I always make sure every keyword in the tag is in the page content.

Thanks.

Michael
  9. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Originally Posted by mharvey
    I always make sure every keyword in the tag is in the page content.
    Google does not use the METAs except to occassionally use the META description. META keywords have zero impact. It would be your titles and content changes. Wait a bit and see what happens.
  11. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

i wouldn't say zero, just cause it's google, and they do whatever they want. .0005% maybe, but not zero.

Comments on this post

• SEO_AM agrees : I still add META keywords to every page... who knows what tomorrow will bring. The only thing constant is change.