1. No Profile Picture

Can I move content to a purchased domain with established PR

thanks for maintaining this forum. It is priceless for amateurs like me.

I have a website with a lot of solid travel blog content based on my own travel experiences. I have never had time to do any link building for it. Would it work to buy a similar domain with an established PR of 1 and some backlinks , take my old site completely down and re-use the content to build a new travel blog. and do some minor link building.

Or would google just see that as duplicating a site?

thanks!! Profjameson
  3. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    If you keep the new aged sites file/URL/domain names and just replaced its content with your own, it can work. However, if your content is not relevant or have the same keywords as the pages you are loading with your content.... you lose. You cannot just take a popular site on used cars and load it with a travel site's information and expect success... Pages appear in the SERPs based upon backlinks from relevant sites/pages. The relevance is likely lost.
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  5. No Profile Picture

SEO_AM, thanks for the info. the new domain name is VERY similar to the old one. So I think I am ok with relevance. My old content won't be considered duplicate when I re-use it, if I take the old site down?
  7. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

This will probably help:

Moving your site - Webmaster Tools Help

Comments on this post

• SEO_AM agrees : Good guidance.
  9. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

First things first share some details about both of the domains, your current domain first and the domain you might buy second:

Current domain:
    1. url - so we can check the age, authority and links etc

New domain:
    1. Domain authority (check opensiteexplorer.org)
    2. Domain age (do a domain search on domaintools.com)
    3. Number and relevance of links

Those are just the basics I would ask if your not willing to share the domain you're thinking of maybe buying (which I wouldn't share in case a shark snaps it up before you, not that any of the older members here would do that, but you never know who is reading etc)

I can't believe others have not asked for more details like this and how much you're looking to pay, because I wouldn't generally waste my time or money buying a new domain unless it has value! In other words it might be better to simply do some seo on your current site, which is what I would likely do rather then waste money on a new domain that I know nothing about the history off!
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  11. No Profile Picture

Nathaniel b. I appreciate your interest !! Old domain is randomtravel.org new domain I just purchased (and maybe wasted money on) is lifefoodtravel.com I am primarily using this to send some relevant links to my main website . (funsunmexico.com)

randomtravel.org is on the same server as funsunmexico.com so I was planning to set up lifefoodtravel.com on a different server and move the content over.

I would love to hear your feedback, even if I am being an idiot. ProfJ
  13. SEO Since 97

Not looking into it that deeply, it looks to me like your about to waste a lot of time, why not just boost your original site and be done with it rather than shuckin and jivin with a new url and moving content.
  15. No Profile Picture

Point taken. Being an amateur/part timer, I find link building very difficult in the post penguin era. that's why I bought a domain with links. Links to the old domain are from the olden days when directory submissions were a good strategy.

I am assuming that my current position on the same server, with similar IP is not giving any joy to my main site?? Maybe could move it "as is" to a new server? I dunno. There is quite a bit of pretty solid content there, that I fear is not doing anything at the moment.
  17. B afraid.. B very afraid!

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    IMO, in the past shortcuts in SEO used to pay... Take shortcuts today... you will pay. Just a caution. Think longer term and do the work.
  19. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

According to ahrefs.com, lifefoodtravel.com only has 3 followed links pointing to it. The rest are nofollowed blog comments which are not going to help you at all!

I hope you didn't pay a lot for the domain.
  21. SEO Since 97

Originally Posted by SEO_AM
    IMO, in the past shortcuts in SEO used to pay... Take shortcuts today... you will pay. Just a caution. Think longer term and do the work.
    Man if that ain't the truth, here's a few of the the latest shortcuts, low quality EMDs, multiple sites with dup content, 1000 links with-in a short time on crappy urls... all changed.
  23. No Profile Picture

No I didn't pay much but I'm beginning to realize this is a really dumb idea. What about moving my current site to different server with unrelated IP. Does that make sense?

Regarding the comment about shortcuts , again I hear you, but I have tried many of the touted methods for non-shortcut and have come up pretty dry. especially contacting people that I have reviewed positively and asking for links. Most people don't actively manage their site at all. I did get an article published on Yucatantoday.com that should be worth some serious link juice. (I have never done the bogus stuff mentioned by test ok)

I am getting off topic, but I value the input. I have a good article written on safety in mexico, would it be better submitted to digg or to an decent authority site in Mexico at a guest post?
    Last edited by profjameson; Feb 21st, 2013 at 02:55 PM.
  25. SEO Since 97

Looks like you write a lot of articles, why not add a blog to your site and keep the content for you rather than building up digg's or blogspot, bloggers etc.
    Now your site is getting additional relative content and you can link internally from it...content and internal text links.
    I've never understood why people use those when they have their own site.
  27. No Profile Picture

I have a mountain of content at funsunmexico.com/blog The problem is that, despite the content, post penguin my SERPs have slid significantly. Page one is now packed with tripadvisor and other giant sites.

I am looking for ways to build quality links and I was under the impression that articles on other sites was a solid way to do that.

Is that wrong?

You're right about not doing internal links well. I plan to go through my 130 plus posts and work on the within content linking
    Last edited by profjameson; Feb 21st, 2013 at 07:22 PM. Reason: fixed