1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Can Google read content called via JQuery load

Here's one...

I'm creating a new website at the moment and looking to make it all lovely, lovely responsive.

Part of this is that the main menu across the top will be different depending on the browser size. Normal links for PCs and laptops. a drop down style box for mobiles.

So I have a div for the main menu and then, depending on the window size, that depends what code is pulled into that div.

Works fine but of course if I check 'view source" I see only <div id="mainmenu></div>

All the links that you can see on the screen don't show.

I'm wondering - is that all Google sees as well .... ?
    Learn SEO and Online Marketing with Doodleddoes or follow me on Google+ at https://plus.google.com/+TimHillDoodled/
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Google has gotten MUCH better and crawling JS, especially JS from well known platforms like jQuery. However, its hard to say whether or not the content or links found inside AJAXy like calls are applied the same way as static html. I know for a fact that links do get crawled and indexed, just not sure if those links count as regular links in the algorithms. Therefore, I always recommend that devs use jQuery to update a CSS style that changes existing markup, versus using it to inject markup. That way the links in the menu will be there no matter what, and will be responsive. Hope this helps.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I faced the same problem recently. So what I did was populate the div with the desktop browser code. This was then changed via jquery once it kicked in, the idea was if google could not keep track of the changing data then there was a fall back option already there with static links. I believe it works as my links where found within the index.

Hope that makes sense.
  7. SEO Insultant
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Sorta like the old-fashioned < noscript > tag then... (which BTW might also still work)
  9. Contributing User

Originally Posted by Chedders
    I faced the same problem recently. So what I did was populate the div with the desktop browser code. This was then changed via jquery once it kicked in, the idea was if google could not keep track of the changing data then there was a fall back option already there with static links. I believe it works as my links where found within the index.
    This was my thinking too but I'm not happy with it as:
    - if I load the desktop menu first that is unnecessary downloading for someone on a mobile
    - if I load the mobile menu first the content jumps around a bit on the PC

Originally Posted by JoeHall
    Therefore, I always recommend that devs use jQuery to update a CSS style that changes existing markup, versus using it to inject markup. That way the links in the menu will be there no matter what, and will be responsive. Hope this helps.
    I did look at this but I have put all my conditional statements inside one CSS file and that seems to work find, even when you resize the browser. It's a fairly simple site though - should it be more complex then separate CSS files called by JQuery is probably the way to go.

As it's one of my sites I'll leave it as an experiment - see how Google gets on as it has structured data markup in the breadcrumbs and there are other means to navigate the site (via inline links). The domain is about a week old and as of this morning Google has indexed 7 out of the ten pages...
  11. Contributing User

Just to update this old thread ... at the moment Google does not read content loaded dynamically - e.g. with JQuery.

The answer was too obvious an under my nose. If you want to check what Google does read:
    a) look at a Google cached page of your content
    b) Use 'Fetch as Google' in WMT

This did get me thinking about the issues that this throws up for internet search as a whole. I've created a page ( Demo - the good and evil page ) which shows how you can hide evil content from Google and show it to visitors while showing Google 'nice' content and hiding that from visitors.

Somehow search engines will have to get their heads round dynamic loaded content before wide scale abuse takes hold ....