1. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Can G find a site with no inbound links?

I am designing a website for a business owned by a friend of mine. It is in the very early stages of development and has text such as "Here's where we will place your client testimonials," etc.

I just had my friend call me and say that he has been getting business from the site. He just got a large deal from a customer who found his site on a Google search for "best [his industry] in [our city]".

Sure enough, the site is indexed. It has no inbound or outbound links and I did not submit it anywhere.

How is this possible?
    New: Learn SEO - A complete course for beginners:LEARN SEO
    Want to hire a reputable SEO? I'll connect you with an SEO company you can trust.
  3. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by Dr.Marie
    I am designing a website for a business owned by a friend of mine. It is in the very early stages of development and has text such as "Here's where we will place your client testimonials," etc.

I just had my friend call me and say that he has been getting business from the site. He just got a large deal from a customer who found his site on a Google search for "best [his industry] in [our city]".

Sure enough, the site is indexed. It has no inbound or outbound links and I did not submit it anywhere.

How is this possible?
    It may have a link that just has not showed up yet on backlink checkers. ie maybee their host has a list of sites it provides hosting for.

It may also be someone else submitted to google.

Google can idex a site that has no links if the site is submitted to google
    Live the moment
  5. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by gazzahk
    It may have a link that just has not showed up yet on backlink checkers. ie maybee their host has a list of sites it provides hosting for.

It may also be someone else submitted to google.

Google can idex a site that has no links if the site is submitted to google
    Weird. The only people who know about this site are me and the business owner and there is no way either of us submitted it. And, it's hosted on my own reseller account with hostgator.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

shared hosting, right? thing is sometimes, with some hosts who provide shared hosting the server that you are "on" can have maintenance domains too....say to update your F-Secure or Sophos protected domains.

Such files are usually NOT robot'd off so yes, if G or any of the se find such a file, they will index all the links on same.

Only had this happen twice to a few accounts of ours -- all at a major shared hosting site (not yours I note)...

While this is not a problem, you should -- if you think you need to -- ask to be taken out of the index as well as put up a robot.txt file to keep 'em out....

Dunno why you'd need to tho...but thought any one who appears to come here as much as you do, Doc, must have an SEO attitude....

So....welcome! and you've earned my help when and where I can offer same!

Jim

Comments on this post

• Dr.Marie agrees : Thanks! That does make sense. And thanks so much for the welcome! It means a lot...you are an SEO with lots of wisdom in your posts.
    Jim Rudnick
    MCSD
    Canadian SEO

Twitter: @JVRudnick

read. learn. hypothesize. test. analyze...then rank!