1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Can content on other pages affect homepage ranking?

Does the content on other pages affect rankings for a site's homepage or domain?

Imagine you've got a site about a certain topic, say, "pet food". The home page is trying to rank for "pet food".

But it also has sub-pages: dog food, fish food and cat food. Each of those pages use the word "pet food" and are obviously related to the umbrella term "pet food".

Does a search engine recognise that? Would the homepage be ranked better - perhaps on the basis that the website overall is more relevant to "pet food" because of sub-pages about "pet food", "cat food", "dog food", etc.?
  3. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Personally I think it does help to have as mean pages with as much information on your said subject as you can. Google has said that it likes bigger sites as they tend to offer more information (as long as its quality info and not just gibberish made for bots), so yes I think it helps the over all rankings of a site if it has more relevant pages that are interlinked well.

Maybe do a bit of research into interlinking, internal link structure and so on. Those should give you some idea as to how your internal links can help you with seo site wide.

But yes in plan and simple words if you rank #1 for dog food and cat food, both those pages are authoritative and link to your home page saying pet food, it is quite likely that google would give that link some good weight to help towards ranking IMHO.
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks. Good answer.

That's a great answer, thanks.

Any additional opinions will be gratefully received.
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by NathanielB
    Personally I think it does help to have as mean pages with as much information on your said subject as you can. Google has said that it likes bigger sites as they tend to offer more information (as long as its quality info and not just gibberish made for bots), so yes I think it helps the over all rankings of a site if it has more relevant pages that are interlinked well.

Maybe do a bit of research into interlinking, internal link structure and so on. Those should give you some idea as to how your internal links can help you with seo site wide.

But yes in plan and simple words if you rank #1 for dog food and cat food, both those pages are authoritative and link to your home page saying pet food, it is quite likely that google would give that link some good weight to help towards ranking IMHO.
    i'v the same questions in my mind, thanks for ur answer.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I've got an issue that goes in hand with this actually. A client of mine has had their home page linking quite well for a few specific keywords for years now.

That is, up until recently... where one of their inner pages has taken over in the rankings. The thing is, the inner page in questions is MUCH better in terms of relevant, quality content than the home page.

However, they have questioned why this is happening and asked me to "fix" it. I'm not sure it's something I have control over, without damaging the inner page in some way. THere is not much room for improvement on the home page.

Any suggestions?
  11. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by bibowski
    I've got an issue that goes in hand with this actually. A client of mine has had their home page linking quite well for a few specific keywords for years now.

That is, up until recently... where one of their inner pages has taken over in the rankings. The thing is, the inner page in questions is MUCH better in terms of relevant, quality content than the home page.

However, they have questioned why this is happening and asked me to "fix" it. I'm not sure it's something I have control over, without damaging the inner page in some way. THere is not much room for improvement on the home page.

Any suggestions?
    quality links to the home page
  13. SEO is WAR

Talking Whole Site Pulls Rank

Yes this is true, having stellar links to your home page 'Acquiring Mad Link Authority' and using internal linking structure, will pass mad Link Juice 'Page Rank' through your entire domain; hence the term 'Link Domain'. Of course your entire on site content, layout and structure must grade at least a B+ or so, because obviously you can pass 'page rank/link authority' into oblivion. Also it does help quite tons to acquire residual links to other pages, "Helping them Along". Remember it is all an 'Algorithm'. Solvable equations from one starting point into complicated procedures 'not missing any of the Steps'. But ultimately your top level domain is king and will assemble their army according to Google, through your developed armor.
  15. Roll the dice.. and live

Originally Posted by benseo
    Does the content on other pages affect rankings for a site's homepage or domain?

Imagine you've got a site about a certain topic, say, "pet food". The home page is trying to rank for "pet food".

But it also has sub-pages: dog food, fish food and cat food. Each of those pages use the word "pet food" and are obviously related to the umbrella term "pet food".

Does a search engine recognise that? Would the homepage be ranked better - perhaps on the basis that the website overall is more relevant to "pet food" because of sub-pages about "pet food", "cat food", "dog food", etc.?
    Now that is actually an interesting question….

It may affect relevance and therefore may impact on rankings but I do not think it is really that straight forward.

By having pages on your site you increase the theme relevance of the site and this may help the sub page rank but I do not know if it works backwards. There is little direct logic for this to be the case. I doubt putting an internal page relevant to a specific topic will then make your homepage more likely to rank for that topic (assuming the term does not appear on your homepage). If the term appears on your homepage also it may be of more assistance.

The next part is links. If the first link on your internal page back to your homepage is using that specific anchor text this may help your home page rank better for that anchor text. If the first link from your home page to your internal page is using the specific anchor text this may also help the home page rank (Google seems to place more weighting on words that are hyperlinked IMO/experience).

The big thing though is really link juice. If the internal page has its own relevant/anchor text links from external sites then this is likely to see your site considered more relevant to that search query and thus it is more likely that you will get two listings in SERPs ie internal page and home page (assuming the term appears on the home page)

Therefore in answer to your question… I would say probably not if all you are doing is placing a new page internally on your site that has none of its own links. I imagine just putting the term on your homepage would be more likely to see rankings improve for that term re the home page then simply adding another page. (A lot also probably depends on your overall site strength and how competitive the keyword is).

It is probably more likely to help if the page is hyperlinked using the AT on the first link between the homepage and the new page. It is probably more likely to help if the new page can get it own source of link juice.

I suppose the main thing is it probably will not have a negative effect but I doubt it will have much (if any) positive one on the home page ranking without the term being on the home page.
    Live the moment
  17. Roll the dice.. and live

Google has said that it likes bigger sites .
    Do you have a source for this claim?
  19. Roll the dice.. and live

Originally Posted by mak14317
    i dont think so content of other pages does not affect homapage ranking.......... it helps to homepage ranking.....
    Do you have any evidence to support this?

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees
  21. Busting SEOChat Spammers!

Originally Posted by gazzahk
    Do you have a source for this claim?
    No sorry, I cant find anything now but I have read it in the past on the google blog and other sites. But hay I guess you could just put it down to a personal preference as I have no source to back me up

Originally Posted by bibowski
    one of their inner pages has taken over in the rankings. The thing is, the inner page in questions is MUCH better in terms of relevant, quality content than the home page.

Any suggestions?
    The best suggestion IMHO is to tell your client you have been working to rank that page as its more relevant and likely to hit #1 sooner and stay for a longer term due to being more relevant to the search term!

I mean why would anyone want to rank a page that is less relevant?! If this internal page that more relevant has naturally over taken the home page, think just how much easier it would be to get #1 with that rather then the home page!

Plus like I said, if that internal page is more relevant its likely to stay ranked well for a lot longer then the home page for a number of reasons such as competitors, relevant back links and so on.

Also if that page is over taking you home page and you work on both pages for that keyword, you could get a double listing at the top of google which in my experience is a great boost for conversion, sales and traffic etc!
  23. Busting SEOChat Spammers!

Originally Posted by mak14317
    i dont think so content of other pages does not affect homapage ranking.......... it helps to homepage ranking.....
    lol make your mind up! First you say it dont help then you change to say it does help?! Or is it just your English is not to good and you worded that last bit wrong?
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The best suggestion IMHO is to tell your client you have been working to rank that page as its more relevant and likely to hit #1 sooner and stay for a longer term due to being more relevant to the search term!

I mean why would anyone want to rank a page that is less relevant?! If this internal page that more relevant has naturally over taken the home page, think just how much easier it would be to get #1 with that rather then the home page!

Plus like I said, if that internal page is more relevant its likely to stay ranked well for a lot longer then the home page for a number of reasons such as competitors, relevant back links and so on.

Also if that page is over taking you home page and you work on both pages for that keyword, you could get a double listing at the top of google which in my experience is a great boost for conversion, sales and traffic etc!
    Thanks for the advice. It DOES make sense to go after the pages that are ALREADY doing well in search rankings. The only issue is, the site structure (for goal conversion funnels, etc.) has been built to start on the home page and disperse from there. Starting on this inner page breaks that up.