1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Can changing IPs harm my site?

Okay here me out -- my company wanted to switch our site to new hosting after 7 days and crap service we moved back to the old hosting company. So basically we have racked up 3 different IPs in 8 days.

Now I checked with Google and their word is that changing your IP won't harm you. However, we have a PR of 4 and were getting spidered evry 3 or 4 days. It hasn't been near since the 6th of this month...

Should I just be patient -- I was expecting some change within the rankings this update as I have been busy with on and off page optimising. We have improved over all our search terms but the level of improvement was pretty weak in my opinion.

So please let me know if the moral of the story is -- changing ip is fine, changing ip a lot in a short time will get you flagged by Google.

I need to confirm this to my boss and tell him to stay away from cheap hosting companies.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I know that Google recommends that you should pull up a copy of your site up at the new IP address. Then, update your name server to point to the new IP address.

Once you see search engine spiders fetch pages from the new IP address, it's OK to take down the copy of your site at the old IP address.

If you aren't doing it like this and you are taking the old site down before the new site is fetched by Google, then you will see a dip in rankings.

Originally Posted by pws1970
    Okay here me out -- my company wanted to switch our site to new hosting after 7 days and crap service we moved back to the old hosting company. So basically we have racked up 3 different IPs in 8 days.

Now I checked with Google and their word is that changing your IP won't harm you. However, we have a PR of 4 and were getting spidered evry 3 or 4 days. It hasn't been near since the 6th of this month...

Should I just be patient -- I was expecting some change within the rankings this update as I have been busy with on and off page optimising. We have improved over all our search terms but the level of improvement was pretty weak in my opinion.

So please let me know if the moral of the story is -- changing ip is fine, changing ip a lot in a short time will get you flagged by Google.

I need to confirm this to my boss and tell him to stay away from cheap hosting companies.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by bhornung
    I know that Google recommends that you should pull up a copy of your site up at the new IP address. Then, update your name server to point to the new IP address.

Once you see search engine spiders fetch pages from the new IP address, it's OK to take down the copy of your site at the old IP address.

If you aren't doing it like this and you are taking the old site down before the new site is fetched by Google, then you will see a dip in rankings.
    But my rankings have improved (ever so slightly I may add) just my site hasn't been spidered as per the normal frequency.
  7. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Well it could be confusion over the ip address but it's more likely just Google... They're dancing around like mad lately and caching frequency seems to be all over the place so my guess is that's the culprit.

If you have maintained your rankings I don't think you should be worried at all.
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]