1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Post Buying Links! End of the debate

Hello,
    I've read all the posts on the site about buying links and can't get a conclusion wether the experts are against or with buying links. Please i would like just experts replies about:
    1- What do you think about buying relevant links?
    2- Have you faced any problem with the search engines as a result of buying relevant links?
    3- Do your think buying relevant links to your site not good in the mean time?
    4- Are you against or with buying links?

We are planning to make kind of site (to be discussed later on) to aid all seo experts in this issue on a large scale and we would like to know your opinions about this.

P.S.: Any ideas are welcomed
    Last edited by SEO-2005; Apr 2nd, 2006 at 06:18 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Buy for Traffic

There has been a lot of emphasis on this matter from Google. I would not suggest purchasing links for SEO, but purchase them for traffic.

To my understanding, Google will begin overlooking links, from sites that sell them. Matt Cutts had posted an overview of this subject in his blog. As I recall, Google wishes for sellers of links to utilize a nofollow attribute on purchased links or advertising. As I understand, they will discontinue calculating PR based on links from site that sell them, unless the no-follow is used for advertising.

This does not hurt the Website that is selling the links, as I took-it. However, no hyperlinks will be counted from the site and the purchaser will not achive higher rankings from the bought links.

I assume there is a lot of development needed to fully integrate this into their formula. However, when it happens, the impact will be felt. Therefore, I would not suggest purchasing links for the purpose of Search Engine Recognition. Advertise, or purchase links, for traffic from the publisher.
  5. Contributing User

buying text link ads (especially on relevant sites) is a good practice, but it will not make the difference either way in the long term.

It is just a utility similar to reciprocal linking...its not the end all be all of SEO.

That being said, if you've got the budget and you know what you're doing go for it.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by MMedeiros
    I assume there is a lot of development needed to fully integrate this into their formula. However, when it happens, the impact will be felt.
    For years Google have been doing manually what you describe against sites which are discovered for be selling PR. I can't imagine how they could do this in an automated manner.

Paid links have the benefit of providing links which are themed, one-way and with the anchor text of your choosing. It's not easy to acquire links with these characteristics. But, as MMedeiros points out, you run the risk that the link might not confer any value and you will have wasted your money.
    Sussex Barn Dance
    The Hokey Cokey - is that really what it's all about?
  9. Contributing User

Originally Posted by john alphaone
    For years Google have been doing manually what you describe against sites which are discovered for be selling PR. I can't imagine how they could do this in an automated manner.

Paid links have the benefit of providing links which are themed, one-way and with the anchor text of your choosing. It's not easy to acquire links with these characteristics. But, as MMedeiros points out, you run the risk that the link might not confer any value and you will have wasted your money.
    I think Google will start doing it against sites in an automated manner when Microso*t starts selling bugs-free \/\/INDO\/\/S without the need of Service Packs Periodically .
  11. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

some paid sites offer authority

Some paid links do offer authority and should be purchased. I am no advocate of the Yahoo directory, but there is a good example of a paid listing with authority.

In every industry there are "paid listings" that will carry weight... is google going to stop valuing links from the Yahoo Directory because people paid for them?

Not IMO... the reason: Yahoo employs editors who actually scrutinize who they place in the directory.

Most paid links are a cash grab for the site owner and these links would never actually appear naturally on their site if they didn't get paid to place it there... these links are often off topic and should not be counted in any type of relevancy score by search engine's.