1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Buying Forum Commenting or Blog Backlinks Is This Against Google TOS?

Having always done all my SEO myself i am a little paranoid about outsourcing SEO and paying for anything related to it.

However, i dont have enough time now to do all the SEO myself as i have too many sites now.

I am considering paying an SEO company for maybe 30 backlinks from comments in Related Forums or Blogs. I will be sure to request varied backlink anchor text. I am already in the top 10 on Google for my targeted keyword and i am looking to push into the top 3 so figured this would help.

Does this in anyway violate Google TOS or webmaster guidelines?

If i was to attain the 50 links myself like this i dont think this would be doing anything blackhat, so to get someone else to do it for me i believe should be ok too??

However i have worked too hard on this site to get hit with a Google penalty for "Buying Links" now so i thought i would ask here first.

I read some other similar posts by searching the forums but i wouldnt mind some fresh advice before i go ahead with this due to my paranoia on the topic and google penalties, thanks in advance.
  3. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by devcfc
    Having always done all my SEO myself i am a little paranoid about outsourcing SEO and paying for anything related to it.

However, i dont have enough time now to do all the SEO myself as i have too many sites now.

I am considering paying an SEO company for maybe 30 backlinks from comments in Related Forums or Blogs. I will be sure to request varied backlink anchor text. I am already in the top 10 on Google for my targeted keyword and i am looking to push into the top 3 so figured this would help.

Does this in anyway violate Google TOS or webmaster guidelines?

If i was to attain the 50 links myself like this i dont think this would be doing anything blackhat, so to get someone else to do it for me i believe should be ok too??

However i have worked too hard on this site to get hit with a Google penalty for "Buying Links" now so i thought i would ask here first.

I read some other similar posts by searching the forums but i wouldnt mind some fresh advice before i go ahead with this due to my paranoia on the topic and google penalties, thanks in advance.
    SEO it's self violates Googles TOS. Will you get penalized, busted, etc? NO. Unlikely. Are you wasting good money on some over-seas idiots to spam forums and blogs with your links? YES.

Work smart, not hard. Focus on GOOD links, GOOD authority and GOOD relevance. Though, forum and blog links CAN and DO help SEO, it's not TRUSTED, RELIABLE nor SMART.

Comments on this post

• SEO_AM agrees : I would add that, in most cases, those spammy posts have as close to zero value as you can get. Time and money spent elsewhere will bring greater rewards.
    • tstolber agrees
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for quick reply. Feedback taken on board.

"money spent elsewhere will bring greater rewards"
    ^Could you elaborate on this, what is the best way to spend money to help SEO in a White Hat way?

I already have recip links, 3 way links etc etc i have written countless articles myself and added them to my own site as well as directories such as Ezine.

However, forum posts and blog posts with backlinks - i dont have any. So rather than spend the time to join 30 forums and then make posts i thought it might be best to to invest a little money on someone doing it for me. Im not expecting any miracles from it and if it boosts my ranking within the top 10 at all it should be worth it.

So what is the best way to spend money to improve search rankings or no. of backlinks to a site?

Im guessing the answer people will give is to invest money in creating quality content for my own site that people will want to link to naturally? ?
  7. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

SEO itself does NOT violate Google TOS, they provide a TOS because they want people to improve their websites for the sake of their index. What's against TOS is buying links for the purpose of SERP manipulation. If you buy links you're supposed to use nofollow.

Having said that, everyone does it and exceptionally few are caught. So I wouldn't call it black insomuch as grey
  9. No Profile Picture
    -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by devcfc
    So what is the best way to spend money to improve search rankings or no. of backlinks to a site?
    Forget buying packages like 1000 blog links/article marketing/social bookmarks deals they are a waste of time and money.

A couple of threads for some link building ideas

http://forums.seochat.com/link-popularity-43/seo-link-building-302665.html

http://forums.seochat.com/link-popularity-43/where-do-you-find-your-link-opportunities-450572.html
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill
  11. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by distinctseo
    SEO itself does NOT violate Google TOS, they provide a TOS because they want people to improve their websites for the sake of their index. What's against TOS is buying links for the purpose of SERP manipulation. If you buy links you're supposed to use nofollow.

Having said that, everyone does it and exceptionally few are caught. So I wouldn't call it black insomuch as grey
    I beg to differ. SEO, per Google's Guidelines extends to on page SEO and a little said regarding links (See their PDF), however, making an attempt to manipulate SERPs, as backlinks do, is a violation in Googles TOS.

Regarding paid links, it's a violation because of the attempt to manipulate and raise PR, it does not make a mention to SERPs, as I'm sure that's a counter affect of the links in the first place.

This manipulation can be drilled down to targeted anchor text and placements. However, if I'm wrong, please correct me.

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=66356

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=66736

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees
    Last edited by joshz; Oct 14th, 2011 at 11:30 AM.
  13. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Research "link bait" and start thinking about what types of link bait you could get involved with. Sometimes the best "link bait" requires monetary and/or time investment. What can you do that will influence another site to willingly give you a one-way backlink?
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

^rashidsohail

Is this your way of saying that buying links from forum posts will result in some crappy spun content on a forum that is useless and does not make sense, holds no value and is likely to be deleted by an admin or is just completely useless.

I believe that is the point you are trying to make.

Comments on this post

• DarrenHaye agrees : He doesn't bonk any :P