1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

BounceRate for Direct traffic

My website has almost 60% of direct traffic and but of late, since last one month bounce rate of this category has been rising from 60% to almost 90%.
    Does this impact my SERP position?

Note: for my target keyword SERP has been pushing my position back from last 15 days.

Experts do share your views...thanks in advance.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Whether it's a ranking factor or not is currently being discussed (again) here - Bounce Rate

But whether it's a ranking factor or not, a 30% rise in one month is pretty alarming.

Has the amount of direct traffic also increased in that period?
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Yes this figures are all for direct traffic.

Even I was pretty shocked to see such a huge rise, is there any way to find reasons for the same ?

I month before my SERP was on first page (position 6) and slowly it has been pushed to second page now
  7. Contributing User

Originally Posted by placedigit
    Yes this figures are all for direct traffic.

Even I was pretty shocked to see such a huge rise, is there any way to find reasons for the same ?

I month before my SERP was on first page (position 6) and slowly it has been pushed to second page now
    Yeah, what I meant was has the actual number of direct traffic sessions increased during the same time period?

If so you should be able to source where it's coming from.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Placedigit,
    I don't understand why you keep referring to SERPs when talking about direct entry.

"Direct traffic" is a catch-all category for any traffic source that can't be identified by Analytics. Check out this article for a list of some traffic source examples that can be incorrectly attributed as "direct traffic"...

Various of these examples typically have high bounce rates and they may also have variable life impacts.

Then there is the issue of if/when Google's query deserves freshness may kick in.

Finally, we have G playing around and testing its mobile index.

All of these may impact on your direct traffic bounce rate and we would be unable to help you diagnose it.

If you are asking about the possible impact of a high bounce rate on G rankings...

If G used bounce rates as a ranking signal, a high bounce rate should boost a page's ranking because it would say the visitor found the answer on the first page they viewed.

Don't worry, various Googlers have repeatedly said G does not use these sorts of signals in its algo because bounce rates do not deliver a consistent signal.
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Dec 10th, 2017 at 04:17 AM.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

A new article on false sources of direct traffic that can be recorded in G Analytics crossed my path. If you want more in-depth info it is worth a read:

When you consider all the potential variables that may be induced across the unknown traffic sources, they make an even stronger argument for the unreliability of bounce rate as any sort of consistent ranking signal.