1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Bounce Rate Advice Please

I own an ecommerce site and I have a page for a product on my site that accounts for 10% of my website's overall bounce rate. The product is frequently out of stock and pricey so thus the high bounce rate - I can't do anything to get more of it and why lower the price if it constantly sells out? So it is what it is.

I don't advertise for the product in Adwords since I rank #1 in Google for it. My question is should I stop selling it because of the bounce rate? My website's overall bounce rate is just over 50%. If I eliminate this product I could get that rate down to 40%. Does Google penalize my website's organic rankings for other terms because of the website's overall bounce rate? My thought is no since it is not penalizing me for the this one term I rank #1 for but still get like 66% bounce rate on. Just want to confirm if there are any other negative effects for having such a large overall bounce rate for my site.

THANKS.
  3. Philip@SearchBenefit.com
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Google has claimed for years that the bounce rate does not influence your rankings, though some have challenged this with speculation and even some inconclusive testing.

Even if you doubt Google, you have a good bounce rate, nothing to worry about it. What matters to Google rankings is NOT your site's average bounce rate, but the bounce rate for an individual keyword. (And it can be even more segmented and granular than that!)

Keep your product!
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

A high bounce rate is not necessarily a bad thing (hence why Google doesn't use this metric alone to impact rankings). For instance, Wikipedia likely has a high bounce rate because people find what they want and then leave.

There are things that you can do to lower your bounce rate on that product - what about cross/up-selling or include supporting product info in the form of PDFs or blog posts to justify the price?

Use (in-page) Analytics to find out where customers click from that page and try and decipher why that is. Use this information to offer more similar outlets to lower bounce rate.

I hope that helps
    Rick

Comments on this post

• PhilipSEO agrees : yep
    • lalitburma agrees : agree with your wikipedia example
    Like my answer above? I am all over Google+! You may also like my SEO Audit Cheat Sheet.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I agree with Rickeliason, people often bounce quickly from websites when they find out what they want (like in the wiki example he gave), but there are things you can do to "try" to keep them around longer. Like rick said you can use your analyitics to help decipher reasoning for leaving and use those signals as what else to offer your users. Additionally, if you track your site search, you can use that information to find out what your users are commonly searching for within your site (items/products, information) and offer those as resources for users to engage with from that page of your site. It may not win them all, but it could possibly keep some users around longer and encourage them to return as you continue to offer them related and resourceful information. Hope that helps some, good luck!
  9. No Profile Picture

If you can check out your web content and change if it is in need. And I do agree with Rick for the High Bounce rate strategy.
  11. No Profile Picture

I'm getting that bounce rate for an overall site won't really negatively impact the SEO but that the bounce rate of a particular search term / keyword will. But what about the amount of time people spend on your site? I'm assuming that the longer people stay on your site means you have more valuable content and thus Google will treat that as a good thing for your SEO, correct? Thanks!!
  13. No Profile Picture

As per my point of view Bounce rate not effect the website ranking. you can do one thing constraint your that product page content , content should be fresh and readable so that user will stable on that page so that page bounce rate will decrease or your ranking remain rank well.
  15. No Profile Picture

In my view, there is not good relevancy between the back links and webpages view. Links are not leading users to specific web pages. That is why, Bounce rate may be high. I would suggest you to get some Good Seo Services which develop some Reliable and relevant links for you.
    Last edited by KernelPanic; Feb 4th, 2014 at 04:40 AM. Reason: snipped link, don't spam
  17. No Profile Picture

bounce rate is not depending on keyword ranking
    it is depends upon the visitors time duration stayed to your site