#1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    0

    Blog Post vs Blog comment


    Does Google differentiate the value of a blog post vs a comment when determining the value of link juice? Trying to see if posting a comment would be just as effective as actually getting our link in the actual post itself.
  2. #2
  3. I am never in denial
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    94
    Rep Power
    69
    Juice is split between all the external and internal links on the page.

    If the external link is however 'rel="nofollow"', no juice/vote is passed on to the external page.

    It's better to build up quality content and get social shares on your own blog than randomly blog commenting for the mere objective of gaining a back link.

    1. It's dangerous
    2. The juice is split between many links
    3. It's hard to find dofollow blogs relating to your niche
    4. There's no telling how long the link will be there
    5. It will damage your reputation among the SEO community
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    0
    Thanks for responding. Yes, well the reason I ask the value is because a site contacted us saying if we provide them the service they would like to blog about us AND with some of their other older blog posts put a link to us with the anchor text that in older blog posts relevant to our industry. They would all be "do follow" links and so I was trying to determine the actual value of it vs a blog comment. I ran a check on several of the pages they had PR 1 and PR2 depending on how old they were, so wouldn't be a crazy amount of juice but I think it would help for sure since our site is new. I was planning on mixing up the anchor texts and aiming to get 3/4 links to my site including the one blog solely about us.
  6. #4
  7. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Posts
    9,697
    Rep Power
    2402
    Google is not stupid. They have at least one brain working there. For you to put a link to your site from a blog post, blog comment, forum thread, forum post, etc. carries as much juice as a juice cup with several holes in the bottom. What value is there in a recommendation (backlink) from you to you? Google would have to lose that one brain before they would start saying: "Let's start counting all the backlinks everybody gives to themselves". At least be sneaky enough to give yourself fake backlinks that are not easily sensed by Google.
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

    ...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  8. #5
  9. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by SEO_AM
    Google is not stupid. They have at least one brain working there. For you to put a link to your site from a blog post, blog comment, forum thread, forum post, etc. carries as much juice as a juice cup with several holes in the bottom. What value is there in a recommendation (backlink) from you to you? Google would have to lose that one brain before they would start saying: "Let's start counting all the backlinks everybody gives to themselves". At least be sneaky enough to give yourself fake backlinks that are not easily sensed by Google.

    I am sorry I wasn't making myself clear. This blog is from an independent blogger than has NOTHING to do with us and contacted us about writing about us.
  10. #6
  11. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Posts
    9,697
    Rep Power
    2402
    Most successful backlink profiles have a plethora of backlinks from many different sources; blog posts and comments being among them. The most powerful links are one-way links for relevant authority sites... all else tails off from there. As long as you are not looking to, or basing your success on, blog, directory, forum, etc. links as your primary source of links... most backlinks help.
  12. #7
  13. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by SEO_AM
    Most successful backlink profiles have a plethora of backlinks from many different sources; blog posts and comments being among them. The most powerful links are one-way links for relevant authority sites... all else tails off from there. As long as you are not looking to, or basing your success on, blog, directory, forum, etc. links as your primary source of links... most backlinks help.

    Well I have gotten a few sites to create a page within their site and include a link to our site in that page. Of course it is going to take months and months before that page gets a PR that is why I thought it was nice this guy was saying he was going to put an anchor text in some of the existing blog posts with PR already. Is it your understanding to diversify the anchor texts going to the home page?
  14. #8
  15. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Posts
    9,697
    Rep Power
    2402
    Diversication of anchor text is becoming more and more important. The same anchor text over a series of backlinks, in the mind of Google, could be indicative of unnatural links.
  16. #9
  17. Online Business Builder
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    697
    Rep Power
    369
    Originally Posted by Transporter7
    Does Google differentiate the value of a blog post vs a comment when determining the value of link juice? Trying to see if posting a comment would be just as effective as actually getting our link in the actual post itself.
    considering the same blog/post, getting link from the blog post is worth than comment link. WHY?

    I) On most of the blogs, comment links are nofollow; it is not worth than blog post even if it is dofollow.

    II) To avoid comment spam, most of the bloggers have their comment powered by disqus, facebook etc... comment text is non-crawlable/indexable by Google.

    III) Page Segmentation - with this Google can easily evaluate the links from the different parts of the page. i.e Blogroll, footer, comment area. Links from the main text area gets the maximum advantage compare to other parts of the page.
    Last edited by chiragparekh; May 7th, 2012 at 12:16 AM.
  18. #10
  19. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by chiragparekh
    considering the same blog/post, getting link from the blog post is worth than comment link. WHY?

    I) On most of the blogs, comment links are nofollow; it is not worth than blog post even if it is dofollow.

    II) To avoid comment spam, most of the bloggers have their comment powered by disqus, facebook etc... comment text is non-crawlable/indexable by Google.

    III) Page Segmentation - with this Google can easily evaluate the links from the different parts of the page. i.e Blogroll, footer, comment area. Links from the main text area gets the maximum advantage compare to other parts of the page.
    Well that was exactly what i wanted to know, if he puts an anchor text to our site from the actual content of the page, is that worth it or am I in just the same position if I put a comment there. So if Google can tell that it is in the content and is a do-follow link and it is on several different blog posts, than the answer is "yes, it is worth it" Thank you for giving me that answer, it is what I wanted to confirm before I gave this company a free service in exchange.
  20. #11
  21. I am never in denial
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    94
    Rep Power
    69
    Originally Posted by Transporter7
    Well that was exactly what i wanted to know, if he puts an anchor text to our site from the actual content of the page, is that worth it or am I in just the same position if I put a comment there.
    If he allows do follow comments on those blog posts, it would have the exact amount of juice as the link within the blog posts content.

    (internal links + external links) / juice = juice passed.

    Anchor text can be useful, but like SEO_AM said: "Diversication of anchor text is becoming more and more important."
  22. #12
  23. Poker Chick
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    @ Poker table behind a big stack
    Posts
    1,412
    Rep Power
    896
    Originally Posted by Transporter7
    I ran a check on several of the pages they had PR 1 and PR2 depending on how old they were, so wouldn't be a crazy amount of juice but I think it would help for sure since our site is new.
    When PR is that low, the importance should be placed on relativity. That is, if your site is about widgets, then a link from a PR1-2 widget page is worth more than a link from a higher PR page that is totally unrelated to widgets.
    Frankly, I wonder who Frank is and why he has his own adverb.
  24. #13
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    68
    Rep Power
    8
    Getting your link in an article would be ideal, but you usually have no control over this and can only influence it by writing great articles to promt other bloggers to write about you.

    Blog comments are only good for external sites like web 2.0 link wheels/pyramids etc. I would never do this for my main site, as these links carry low authority and can cause you to get penalized.

    Hope this helps.
  26. #14
  27. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    0
    I blog comment is not working now. All most everyone make their comment section no-follow. And those who still didnít there are lot of spammy comment. This can be more hurt to your site.
    Its better to give emphasize on own site content.
  28. #15
  29. No Profile Picture
    Newbie

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0
    Posting a comment still might drive your readers to engage more. I have found this right with a few experiments of my own. It really helps to get the conversation get-started.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 18
    Last Post: Jul 5th, 2007, 09:53 AM
  2. What happens if I get a link in a blog comment?
    By J.T in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Oct 19th, 2006, 09:38 AM
  3. Problems with 'Last Post' on front page
    By daamsie in forum Suggestions & Feedback
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Sep 16th, 2003, 10:00 PM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo