1. Resident Black Hat
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

BLOG and Ping - Shady Techniques

Some would call this a shady technique. Others would say it's valid and very useful.

Regardless of what you think of it, it is rather entertaining and some of your competition might be doing it to get listed quickly.

Results show that Blogging and Pinging will get you in crawled and indexed in a matter of days - sometimes even hours - and in a few circumstances you can even be crawled in minutes.

So what are people doing and how are they doing it?

It's an old (been around since the late 90's) technique called blog and ping.

Basically it works like this. You create a blog at blogger.com. Create your website and make sure all the pages are uploaded...Next, you'll create an account on yahoo and add a feed to your blog on your myyahoo page.

Then you blog an entry. When you post to your blog you add a link or three to the blog entry. Some folks put up to 50 links in their blog entry but I find that rather excessive although I've personally had success with over 100 links I don't do it often.

Anyhow, the trick is you've got to blog every 15 minutes and put some new links to your pages up.

Now, that in and of itself won't net you much without the next part.

Pinging is basically going to any of a number of websites like pingomatic and notifying them that you have new content. The search engines crawl these sites a LOT and they'll notice when your blog has been updated. Of course, since they crawl your blog, they'll see the links in the blog and head on over to your website.

An interesting thing to note is that yahoo seems to really like this technique and your myyahoo page will get updated rather quickly showing that your blog has been updated.

There are programs out there right now that will automate this but they're rather pricey imo. I suspect the prices will be dropping. Will this technique continue to work? I don't know. But as long as the search engines consider blogs to be great and wonderful it surely can't hurt you

Maybe another trick to add to your bag of tricks...maybe not.

Comments?

G-Man
  3. Wine Geek

It doesn't even have to be a blog; with Yahoo you can simply create a RSS feed.

I did this on a few different sites...some it worked on, some it didn't.

However, like most SEO tricks, it isn't an end-all be-all, it is just another trick. Use enough of these that have a 50% chance of working and you'll be pretty successful in accomplishing your goals.

Cygnus
  5. unused title
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

or you could simply update your website content in about the same time as it takes you to blog and ping, and googlebot will naturally come around anyway... (as long as you have backlinks going to your site)
  7. Resident Black Hat

Originally Posted by deregular
    or you could simply update your website content in about the same time as it takes you to blog and ping, and googlebot will naturally come around anyway... (as long as you have backlinks going to your site)
    I think you're missing the point. This gives you backlinks so that the googlebot and slurp come around to your site much faster. It's only for new sites. Once you're indexed there's not much point to it.

Now, you might wonder why you would really care how quickly you get indexed but in the next tip I share you'll see why it affects the bottom line...

G-Man
  9. Resident Black Hat

Originally Posted by Cygnus
    It doesn't even have to be a blog; with Yahoo you can simply create a RSS feed.

I did this on a few different sites...some it worked on, some it didn't.

However, like most SEO tricks, it isn't an end-all be-all, it is just another trick. Use enough of these that have a 50% chance of working and you'll be pretty successful in accomplishing your goals.

Cygnus
    Well, if you don't have a blog, how are you going to get your RSS feed populated? This little trick will do that for you.

You're right though, it isn't an end-all-be-all. Just another trick for your bag of tricks.

G-Man
  11. unused title
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by GeoffreyF67
    I think you're missing the point. This gives you backlinks so that the googlebot and slurp come around to your site much faster. It's only for new sites. Once you're indexed there's not much point to it.

Now, you might wonder why you would really care how quickly you get indexed but in the next tip I share you'll see why it affects the bottom line...

G-Man
    Yep, you're right, exactly my train of thought. ;-)
    Ok so spill it, what is the difference between being indexed today, and being indexed in 3 days time make?

Obviously it may make a difference for news sites, that are updated with upto the minute latest information and they will want that indexed, but if they already have constantly updated information, googlebot will come around virtually every day anyhow.
  13. Resident Black Hat

Originally Posted by deregular
    Yep, you're right, exactly my train of thought. ;-)
    Ok so spill it, what is the difference between being indexed today, and being indexed in 3 days time make?

Obviously it may make a difference for news sites, that are updated with upto the minute latest information and they will want that indexed, but if they already have constantly updated information, googlebot will come around virtually every day anyhow.
    I just woke up so I'm not gonna type the next tip right now. Perhaps later today

googlebot isn't going to come around just because you have constantly updated info. I update my home page a lot. Slurp loves me and comes by every few hours. Googlebot, Googlebot, wherefore art thou Googlebot...Thus there must be more to the picture.

G-Man
  15. Wine Geek

You create an XML file with your links, submit it through pingomatic, and add it to My Yahoo on one of your Yahoo accounts...that's how the RSS feed is populated -- circular logic.

Here's an example: www.easyautopart.com/articles.xml
  17. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

So, did anybody spot an automatic sitemap2xml converter?

I'm serious.

Added automatic pingomatic submitter would be a bonus

Still serious. AIH a PR5 site (that doesn't exist, I know, but a PR5-homepage site...) doesn't get weekly crawls nowadays. Maybe that's because my area isn't competitive enough
  19. Resident Black Hat

Originally Posted by Cygnus
    You create an XML file with your links, submit it through pingomatic, and add it to My Yahoo on one of your Yahoo accounts...that's how the RSS feed is populated -- circular logic.

Here's an example: www.easyautopart.com/articles.xml
    Interesting. I wonder how effective it would be compared to blogging and pinging every 15 minutes.

As a sidenote, the ping sites are getting really pissed off at the bandwidth increases from these programs

G-Man
  21. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Thumbs up Seems to me..

that what I learned in the recent loquine glupe contest about this 'blog&ping' methodology, was simply that it worked so very quickly to get brand new sites (never indexed or serp'd) into the index and the serps so quickly.

in my mind, it was a shortcut 'around' the sandbox, as now 2 months after the contest started, my own site is still #14 and did rise up to #6 just before the contest ended. suffice it to say, that yes, I did try all kinds'a gray hat items to try to move it up....but #6 was as high as we got.

but then I really thought about that. no index or serps, and #6 outta more than 100k of sites, in 2 months...all due to the blog&ping that ran every day.

my conclusion? that blog&ping does work; it works quickly and apparently, it bypasses the sandbox. I have only my own emprical evidence to support that...no real "proof" from a larger study....but that's what I think happened.

so...now what? I'm testing it on 3 smaller sites still, using the blog&ping daily to drive them up and into higher ranking serps if possible...I'll let you all know how that works in another 6 weeks or so....to give it a real 3 month test period.

Oh, and yes, I too have noted that there are now a group of those new scripts around, wherein you buy one and plug in your vars, and it runs the blog&ping for you. Might save some time, I suppose but doesn't pass on any data to help you understand seo at all....I'd say pass on them. Learn this yourownself....it seems like it's a great new tool....

Jim
    Jim Rudnick
    MCSD
    Canadian SEO

Twitter: @JVRudnick

read. learn. hypothesize. test. analyze...then rank!

23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Isn't "rel=nofollow" supposed to prevent this?
  25. Resident Black Hat

Originally Posted by pittbug
    Isn't "rel=nofollow" supposed to prevent this?
    Nope. rel=nofollow is only enabled on blogger.com sites and only for the comments pages I believe. You're posting links to your own blog - why would they automatically add rel=nofollow? bloggers everywhere would be really pissed off

G-Man