Thread: Blog network?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
    #1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    0

    Blog network?


    So I have been reading a lot about blog networks lately. Essentially advocates are saying you should build out approximately 30 blogs on a given subject, then submit regularly to them and have then interconnect, and occasionally connect to your money sites. Supposedly these are really hot right now. So I have a few questions for the experts here.

    1. How effective are they? Are they better than using PR/Pumper sites?
    2. Are they only effective when they are this large?
    3. should they be set up across several blog platforms (blogger, blog.com,WP, etc) or just one?
    4. If I am currently running a blog on my site (domain/blog) should I include it in my linking structure for this network?

    Thanks in advance.
  2. #2
  3. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    9,762
    Rep Power
    2478
    Running 30 blogs is a huge waste of time if you are doing it because you think that the links will be valuable. Links from those blogs will only be valuable if they attract their own unique links from outside of your network of sites.

    If you can produce content that will attract links then put that content on your main site so that it gets full benefit from the links and not the small benefit that will leak out of a blog.

    Comments on this post

    • jsteele823 agrees : I'm glad I followed this advice when it was given to me.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    0
    okay so i'll take that as a "not too effective".
    would this still be true if the 30 blogs were all hosted on ditterent class C IP's?
  6. #4
  7. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    9,762
    Rep Power
    2478
    okay so i'll take that as a "not too effective".
    Take it as I think that it is a waste of time.

    Originally Posted by Bteck
    would this still be true if the 30 blogs were all hosted on ditterent class C IP's?
    You are still focused on the links from these blogs being valuable.

    Imagine that you had an authoritative person as your blog author. Imagine that the Pope offered to write 30 blog posts for you. Which would produce a more authoritative situation and pull more links and traffic? Thirty blogs with one post from the Pope each. Or one blog with thirty posts by the Pope?

    Which would you be more likely to link to?

    We run one site giving it four to eight posts per day. That is more likely to attract a following than dividing it among a lot of different blogs.
    Last edited by EGOL; Jul 15th, 2009 at 02:39 PM.
  8. #5
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA Rocky Mountains
    Posts
    646
    Rep Power
    54
    I'd say it depends on you can position each of the 30 blogs.

    If you were able to score KID domains for each of the 30 blogs and bubble them to the top for their target keyphrases they'd be much more valuable to your cause.

    Otherwise egol is right.
  10. #6
  11. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,301
    Rep Power
    515
    Do you have the ability and manpower to post consistently to 30 different blogs? That seems like quite a bit of work to try and muster up a few links.

    Egol said it best with his pope example. I agree that I'd rather have 30 posts on 1 site from one authoritative author then 1 post on 30 different sites/blogs. If you concentrate your quality content on 1 site, you are better positioned to gain better quality links from many different websites vs trying to manipulate links in some way, shape or form.

    The idea sounds a little fishy and risky for me but I'm no expert with multiple domain linking.
  12. #7
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    47
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by Bteck
    So I have been reading a lot about blog networks lately. Essentially advocates are saying you should build out approximately 30 blogs on a given subject, then submit regularly to them and have then interconnect, and occasionally connect to your money sites. Supposedly these are really hot right now. So I have a few questions for the experts here.

    1. How effective are they? Are they better than using PR/Pumper sites?
    2. Are they only effective when they are this large?
    3. should they be set up across several blog platforms (blogger, blog.com,WP, etc) or just one?
    4. If I am currently running a blog on my site (domain/blog) should I include it in my linking structure for this network?

    Thanks in advance.
    souns pretty good to bulid a blog network to promote your site
    but i guess most of youe site will be not that hgh quality
    that's not a good deal
    u know that's really didn't worth thwe time
  14. #8
  15. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    0
    Let me post something to be clear. I appreciate the help, but I think I must not have been clear about what I was hoping to get out of this post. I am sorry for any confusion.
    The quality of my primary site, and the quality of these hypothetical blogs is not in question. They would all be of the utmost quality. Each blog would be regularly updated with unique content, and be given dedicated domains and class C ip adresses. My main site is a top 200 E-commerce site, its quality is top notch, I started this forum to see how effective the strategy would be. That is all I was looking for is a discussion of the strategy itself, what would influence its effectiveness and so on. I would love some more information and experiences with this specific technique, I will handle getting quality unique content, the regular updates, etc. So assuming that these blogs were all top notch, and my home site is teaming with quality content, can anyone help answer my original questions?
    1. how effective? (relative measurement please)
    2. does size matter?
    just those two would be plenty. Also has anyone found any reputable resources discussing the benefits of such a strategy?
    Thanks again, and sorry for any lack of clarity.
  16. #9
  17. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    9,762
    Rep Power
    2478
    Your proposed strategy has been debated at length many times here at SEOchat. You got a summary of those debates above.

    Congratulations on the great content that you have access to. That will make the advice provided above work about 10x as well.

    Search these forums and you will find most of the highest reputation members support what was posted above.
    Last edited by EGOL; Jul 16th, 2009 at 09:12 AM.
  18. #10
  19. No Profile Picture
    Noj
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,280
    Rep Power
    196
    This really depedns on whether the pope is any good at writing blogs doesnt it.

    Originally Posted by EGOL
    Take it as I think that it is a waste of time.

    You are still focused on the links from these blogs being valuable.

    Imagine that you had an authoritative person as your blog author. Imagine that the Pope offered to write 30 blog posts for you. Which would produce a more authoritative situation and pull more links and traffic? Thirty blogs with one post from the Pope each. Or one blog with thirty posts by the Pope?

    Which would you be more likely to link to?

    We run one site giving it four to eight posts per day. That is more likely to attract a following than dividing it among a lot of different blogs.

    Comments on this post

    • EGOL agrees : lol... The Pope has authority at whatever he decides to do - even if undeserved. I would love to have him blogging for me.
  20. #11
  21. shuffle up and deal
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    2,847
    Rep Power
    738
    Originally Posted by seo-sparky
    I'd say it depends on you can position each of the 30 blogs.

    If you were able to score KID domains for each of the 30 blogs and bubble them to the top for their target keyphrases they'd be much more valuable to your cause.

    Otherwise egol is right.
    If link comes from a page within the supplemental index it will not pass juice!

    To the OP

    The point here is that If the posts are good enough to attract their own links then they should go on the main site. If they are not then they should go in the bin.

    Let's say you get 100 links to each of the new blogs and then link back to the main site. How many links do you get? 30

    Now lets say you put the content from the blogs onto your own site and again each piece of content gets 100 links each. How many links do you get now? 3000

    And its not just the number of links, links from unique domains (IMHO) is very important in driving rank. With this blog set up you will only be getting links from 30 domains and no more.

    Then you have to ask yourself if you have enough know how to set up a network and to keep that network hidden from the search engines. Even if you could do so, for the above reasons this type of thing is a bad idea.

    It limits the links you get, it limits the PR that you get, it limits the number of unique domains that you get links from and if discovered could cause some trust issues with the engines.

    You will also spend the rest of your days worrying about whether your network will be discovered and if it is then do you know how to remedy this or would you just have to write off all of the work you have done as the links no longer carry any weight, authority or juice!

    Comments on this post

    • EGOL agrees : The network risk can be significant.
  22. #12
  23. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    0
    Egol, so I took your advice. I searched the site. Again. That would make the third time. Still not able to find it. I mean it is not like I have not searched the site for an answer before asking via this forum. Egol, assuming that this discussion at length does exist, would you mind linking to it? I am not looking for advice on adding a single blog to my site, but specifically creating a blog network. If there are these forum discussions I would love to read them, however my searches have been thus far fruitless.
  24. #13
  25. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by lewisdb
    If link comes from a page within the supplemental index it will not pass juice!

    To the OP

    The point here is that If the posts are good enough to attract their own links then they should go on the main site. If they are not then they should go in the bin.

    Let's say you get 100 links to each of the new blogs and then link back to the main site. How many links do you get? 30

    Now lets say you put the content from the blogs onto your own site and again each piece of content gets 100 links each. How many links do you get now? 3000

    And its not just the number of links, links from unique domains (IMHO) is very important in driving rank. With this blog set up you will only be getting links from 30 domains and no more.

    Then you have to ask yourself if you have enough know how to set up a network and to keep that network hidden from the search engines. Even if you could do so, for the above reasons this type of thing is a bad idea.

    It limits the links you get, it limits the PR that you get, it limits the number of unique domains that you get links from and if discovered could cause some trust issues with the engines.

    You will also spend the rest of your days worrying about whether your network will be discovered and if it is then do you know how to remedy this or would you just have to write off all of the work you have done as the links no longer carry any weight, authority or juice!
    Thanks for this post. Good advice and actually addressing my questions. Thank you so much. The logic that proponents are arguing for is that the PR of your linking sites is very important, as such, having a network of blogs with their own outside links is creating a hub and spoke model, raising each layer's pr in turn, so it is like this, a blog with 300 back links links to your blog, that is more valuable than 300 links from 0 pr sites. as a result it ratchets up the value of each subsequent layer of sites. There is no shortage of content, so it would be simple enough to keep this network going. In addition, there is nothing keeping people from linking directly to my main site, but any link, to any of those sites should have a trickle down effect. I don't see how this could be flagged as Black Hat, if they are dedicated KID domains, and different Class C ip's and they link to each other, outside blogs, and only occasionally to my main site. In addition the blogs would be valuable content, not nonsense, so even if Google did somehow ascertain that all those sites were mine, I can't imagine that they would be upset about me providing useful information. What are your thoughts? Is this theory accurate? I know PR of linking sites is very important.
  26. #14
  27. shuffle up and deal
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    2,847
    Rep Power
    738
    Originally Posted by Bteck
    The logic that proponents are arguing for is that the PR of your linking sites is very important, as such, having a network of blogs with their own outside links is creating a hub and spoke model, raising each layer's pr in turn, so it is like this, a blog with 300 back links links to your blog, that is more valuable than 300 links from 0 pr sites. as a result it ratchets up the value of each subsequent layer of sites.
    I am aware how such things would work but no matter which way you look at it this method makes no sense. The blogs you create will all start with PR0. The only way they will gain PR is by getting links. Having got these links you link back to your main site. Doing this however you only get a fraction of the PR available. Host the content on your main site and all of the links will point to it and you will get 100% of the PR.

    There is no shortage of content, so it would be simple enough to keep this network going.
    Great news for your main site.

    In addition, there is nothing keeping people from linking directly to my main site, but any link, to any of those sites should have a trickle down effect. I don't see how this could be flagged as Black Hat, if they are dedicated KID domains, and different Class C ip's and they link to each other, outside blogs, and only occasionally to my main site.
    If you don't know how the search engines are able to identify a network then you certainly aren't qualified to be able to hide one, or have one recover when it is discovered and all of the links are killed. You don't just have to worry about IP address, hosting plan or whois data. All of the major search engines map back link profiles and they are very good at spotting a pattern. I mean come on, do you honestly think it would be this easy? If it was wouldn't everyone be doing it? Well the answer is most have tried, failed and concluded that it's harder than it might look.

    As for this being black hat? Your kidding me right?? I would urge you to read google's ToS. They are very clear regarding manipulation of the serps, and that is exactly what you are contemplating. If you think you can get way with it, if you think you can out think some of the most talent engineers in the world then give it a go. I would love to hear how you get on


    In addition the blogs would be valuable content, not nonsense, so even if Google did somehow ascertain that all those sites were mine, I can't imagine that they would be upset about me providing useful information. What are your thoughts?
    Why would they stop it? Because you are deliberately trying to manipulate the performance and ranking of your main site, simple!

    Most of the above is moot anyhow. For every one advantage of this type of thing I can give you ten reasons why that's not the case.
  28. #15
  29. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    0
    Fair enough I suppose, what about operating PR/pumper sites though? that is commonly accepted would you view that as also risky or black hat?
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

Similar Threads

  1. Blog Network Power
    By Le Centre in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Jun 26th, 2006, 06:46 PM
  2. BLOG and Ping - Shady Techniques
    By GeoffreyF67 in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Mar 21st, 2005, 06:42 PM
  3. Maximizing Co-Op Ad network to work for you!
    By alias420 in forum Link Development
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Mar 2nd, 2005, 05:10 AM
  4. desperate plea for advice ( any blog experts/seogurus too)
    By shiner25 in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jan 2nd, 2005, 08:09 AM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo