1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Big Problem - Google indexing wrong url - Please Help

For seo purposes I don't want to write in the actual url because everytime I have done this on a forum my post is indexed pretty high on Google so I will use screenshots instead.

I created my father's website in 2007. He has spent many hours (thousands) optimizing it over the years with very good results. He has certain pages which have moved all the way up to be on page 1 within the first 10 results (sometimes 2 or 3).

Recently I went through a server upgrade which caused his site to break and as a result I updated his websites template. The content stayed the same. For 1.5 days the title tags were messed up because the title tags did not copy over correctly to the new website. I have updated the title tags now and everything is the exact same again accept the html/css coding for the design. The actual content has not changed.

If you look at this screenshot you will see his website is still appearing in the listing but it is the wrong page. I typed in mississauga but a page for acton is showing up. We are worried that something happened that changed Google's listing. Last time he checked (before the upgrade but I'm not sure when) the correct link was showing in Google.

The problem is that when I substitue the city brampton or etobicoke they both return the Acton page as well when a week ago they were working correctly.

I've have now correctly the titles and everything is back to the way it was.

Could someone please help me get the correct page showing again? Is there a way to tell Google that the wrong page is showing and have them replace it with the correct one? My father is very mad. I would appreciate any help I can get.

NOTE: The highlighted link in the screenshot is the correct website but the wrong city page.
    Last edited by jim.thornton; Oct 13th, 2012 at 08:08 AM.
  3. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

The seo on the site is messed up 7 ways to sunday dude. There is nothing about the site that should cause it to rank except that there is no competition. Duplicate content, keyword presentation, links: This site is 0 for 3.

With that said, change the title element on the home page to Carpet Cleaning Mississauga if you want the home page to rank for Carpet Cleaning Mississauga.

The problem with your local pages is that they are all identical except for changing the city name. You can't do that. You need to write unique content for each of the city pages you want to rank in.

And stop KW stuffing: Mississauga Carpet Cleaning, Mississauga Steam Cleaner, Mississauga Steam Cleaners, Mississauga Steam Cleaning, Mississauga carpet cleaner, Mississauga carpet cleaners" />
    <meta name="description" content="Carpet Cleaner in Mississauga. Get your carpet cleaner for $69.95 Living Room, Dining Room and Hall. Our specialty is Carpet Cleaning in Mississauga.

Don't let your dad beat you up too bad, the SEO on the site is a wreck
    Last edited by KernelPanic; Oct 13th, 2012 at 08:23 AM.
  5. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I agree with KP... The problem is that the site is littered with duplicate content (pages for various locations where the location-specific details are the only unique thing on the page).

This tactic has paid dividends for years, but the Panda update has specifically targetted the weakness/problem and that's most likely why you are just seeing it.
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thank you so much for the super quick reply. It seems that during the site switch over a bunch of the links broke (404 errors). It looks like this caused the pages to be dropped from the index. I went through each and every page that returned a 404 error and setup a 301 redirect and within 12 hours the pages were re-indexed.

Question: With regards to duplicate content... I know my father subscribes to a service which measures the duplicate content of a page because he has re-written the wording on each page the duplicated content is around 25% or lower. Is this not good enough for the purposes of avoiding Panda?

If it got re-indexed so quickly, does that mean that it passed Panda?
  9. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

If you want that page to target Acton then Move your H1 tag around Carpet Cleaning in Acton. Helps give google a clue that this is important for the page and would reinforce the title of the page.

I would also do your searching while in incognito using chrome, I have found it gives a more realistic view of what your customers will see when searching the term.

You maybe interested to know here in the UK I searched for your keyword and the wrong page was in #1

You could also try adding geo meta tags for each town.

[edit]
    On looking at the source again, I notice you have 2 x h1 tags.
    I am sure others will jump in here but I have always been under the impression its best to use just 1.

Although its perfectly ok to have more than 1, to squeeze every bit out of your SEO I would only have it on the main topic of the page.
    Last edited by Chedders; Oct 14th, 2012 at 06:05 AM.
  11. No Profile Picture

Over optimization or spam whatever you call it. Work on the content, make sure that you are making it clean and not keyword stuffed. Give something to the users that help them.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

His goal was not over optimization or spam but in instead with his business customers aren't going to be searching Acton, Mississauga, Burlington, etc. Instead, they will likely look for their local town/city and then they look at the other pages, where there is a lot of unique content. For example, he has the spot cleaning guide which tell users how to get stains out of carpets.

Because it isn't an ecommerce site, it was always thought that users are basically going to come to the site for what they need and then book or contact them to book an appointment.

So the city pages saying the same thing (only re-worded), I would think -- and please correct me if I'm wrong, makes sense for a user because someone searching for carpet cleaning in Burlington or Acton should be landing on typically the same information only targeting their specified city.
  15. -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by jim.thornton
    So the city pages saying the same thing (only re-worded), I would think -- and please correct me if I'm wrong, makes sense for a user because someone searching for carpet cleaning in Burlington or Acton should be landing on typically the same information only targeting their specified city.
    We could argue what is best for users and it's your site so you're totally free to make it however you want.. just don't expect google to like it.

Looking at your site though it looks like you are trying to manipulate rankings.. to the detriment of user experience.

It would be best practice in terms of google rankings to have unique content on each page talking about that local area that page is covering, Just a few sentences would do.

You could have unique customer reviews from that area on each page.

Have a single page talking about your process of cleaning and link to it off each page that it would be relevant on.

You could do with a total site redesign really also imo.

Comments on this post

• thegodfather agrees
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by DarrenHaye
    We could argue what is best for users and it's your site so you're totally free to make it however you want.. just don't expect google to like it.

Looking at your site though it looks like you are trying to manipulate rankings.. to the detriment of user experience.

It would be best practice in terms of google rankings to have unique content on each page talking about that local area that page is covering, Just a few sentences would do.

You could have unique customer reviews from that area on each page.

Have a single page talking about your process of cleaning and link to it off each page that it would be relevant on.

You could do with a total site redesign really also imo.
    That is a good idea.with the reviews from each city. Thank you for that idea.

As far as a site redesign what do you mean? Are you talking an seo site redesign or are you talking colours/layouts?
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by DarrenHaye
    With regards to your suggestion regarding the local pages... It is hard to convince my father to change the structure because he is looking at it as "I'm at the top now, why change it and risk messing something up?"

I have convinced him to add a new page for each city (not deleting what he currently has). However, I have a question. If we follow the same suggestion that you said and had say unique reviews from each area, a few sentences about each local area along with a map of the city with boundries drawn out to show the service area for each city and then link to the page that explains the process, services for carpet cleaning, services for furniture cleaning, etc. Wouldn't Google still view that as duplicate content be cause the links on each page would be going to the same pages?

For example:

Small paragraph about area here.
    Image of the map with service area marked out here.
    List of services provided here (each one linking to internal pages regarding the service).
    List of methods/process used here (each one linking to internl pages).

The list of links would be the same for each page two. In this case only the paragraph text and image would change.
  21. -

I have convinced him to add a new page for each city (not deleting what he currently has).
    Why do that? just change the text on the existing pages.

Write a few unique sentences about that area.

Add a few unique reviews from residents in that area.

add a map as you said.

You can have a bullet point list of services on each page and link them to the pages describing that service and how you do it.

It's ok if a small portion of text is repeated on each page as long as the majority is unique.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The reason why I would do that is that he is not willing to change what is currently working. He is willing to add a page though. I'm thinking that if we add a page with the new structure as you mentioned and then when it is indexed if the ranking is higher then the other pages then he will see that it works.

As mentioned before, whatever the reason (whether it is because of lack of competition or not) it is currently ranked high on Google. He is afraid that if he goes and changes the pages completely that it will cause him to lose ranking or get dropped again.
  25. -

The reason why I would do that is that he is not willing to change what is currently working. He is willing to add a page though. I'm thinking that if we add a page with the new structure as you mentioned and then when it is indexed if the ranking is higher then the other pages then he will see that it works.

As mentioned before, whatever the reason (whether it is because of lack of competition or not) it is currently ranked high on Google. He is afraid that if he goes and changes the pages completely that it will cause him to lose ranking or get dropped again.
    There isn't any real risk in changing on onpage text.. just leave the page title the same and you will have no problems.

Leaving the duplicate pages is just waiting for trouble.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Okay... I'll talk to him about just changing one page at a time.

Thanks.