1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Best way to post video (insert youtube code or upload video directly to site)????

What's the best way to upload a video. Do I upload to youtube then just embed the video? If I do that will google not think I'm coming up with my own video content? or should I upload the video to my server and put my own player on there? What's the best way to market videos after that? I upload to all video sites. Should I blog everything and duplicate that video all over the place? Any suggestions?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

If you upload to your own server, the server must support streaming (you usually need a dedicated server to support streaming).

I don't see any problems with embedding videos that you've previously uploaded to Youtube.com. However, the Youtube logo will be present on every video on your site if you embed their vids.

When marketing the vids, I suggest writing 500 words for each video, this way Google will find you for a selection of long tail queries. And you need to be working with viral videos because they should market themselves.

I guess it's better if you have a unique viral vid on your own site because it will attract loads of links. It's just choosing the right ones that is hard.
  5. No Profile Picture

Roll your own AND post on Youtube

Originally Posted by JohnnyBones
    What's the best way to upload a video. Do I upload to youtube then just embed the video? If I do that will google not think I'm coming up with my own video content? or should I upload the video to my server and put my own player on there? What's the best way to market videos after that? I upload to all video sites. Should I blog everything and duplicate that video all over the place? Any suggestions?
    From my own personal experience I would recommend that you host your own. I don't use a streaming server, I don't think it is nessacary, however I want to move in that direction purely for user experience reasons. If you host your own, there is a formula in order to get indexed and actually show your video with thumbnail in the search results. 1. Make google video site map 2. each video will need it's own meta title and description ( Barrack Obama Video and your description should obviously have your keywords in it. (use the word "Video" at the end of your title, name the file the same way without the word video (eg barrack-obama.mpg) just lie pics. ; ) 3. Each video will need it's own thumbnail (barrack-obama.jpg)

There is no doubt google favors youtube for a given keyword and will show it as a video result. So you also want to put up a video (preferably a different one that is on your site, not nessacary but better for user experience, you can use an edited down version of the one that is on your site). Put up your keyworded video on youtube and let it sit for awhile. Hopefuly it will show up on page 1 in serps. AFTER it shows up in page 1 or maybe even page 2 THEN link to your page keyworded the same way at the beginning of the video description http://www.barrack-obama.... Youtube will actually allow you to do this. few use it. There are other video upload sites that allow follow links, but there is no doubt in my mind that google favors youtube.

Anyway, I sort of stumbled ont his technique. I had a "Sonoma County Fair" video on my site and it didn't come up in the serps. Then I uploaded the same video on youtube. A week later it's showing with a thumb on page 1 in the serps. This pissed me off to no end, my video had been up for months.

Then I linked the youtube video to my page with the same video. Viola, in 2 weeks it was showing my video on my site on page 1 of the serps and the youtube video dissappeared.

You milage may vary. ; ) but overall I would highly recommend you hosting on your site even if you do not use this little trick. The important part is to make sure your structure is correct.

google Sonoma County Fair to see what I mean. I should be #3 but who knows with al lthe new stuff that is going on. You should be able to see my thumb with a cow head.

Forgot to mention, you should make a mrss feed too.

Another great source for video seo reelvideo.com

off topic: I am just about to post my woes with google site maps, I will title it Google Sitemap Challenges. If you can add insight I would totally appreciate it!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

To have more than one person viewing a video at the same time, your host must support and allow streaming. Shared hosting doesnt usually allow this, and you have to usually pay for a dedicated server for this - 150 dollar per month ish.

I have found a few companies where they allowed streaming on their shared servers but I checked out some of their clients sites and they were seriously slow.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

This is not entirely true. You can stream your website via .FLV files even if your host doesn't allow streaming such as RTSP.

As long as the FLV video is on the server you can stream it with flash.

if you want to stream .mp4 or other video formats for iphone or mobile support you will need a dedicated or virtual dedicated server I suggest 1&1 they are cheaper than godaddy.
  11. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up

Does anyone have the code to display a flv video? I don't want to put a flash container on there because then it will show up as .swf.

Also, for dedicated servers try webreliable com they are a serverbeach com reseller. Server Beach already has the best pricing and these guys buy so many of them that they can give you 10% off server beach pricing. They get like 35% off themselves.

j
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I agree with seogoat. If you are working with viral videos its better to use youtube and embed it. We have done this before on one of our sites when we were making a "how to" tutorial.

It was helpful for us to register a youtube account with the same name as the website or product you are selling, anything that can show the user that this is your content and not just some 3rd party video you tossed on your site.
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Bunch
    I agree with seogoat. If you are working with viral videos its better to use youtube and embed it. We have done this before on one of our sites when we were making a "how to" tutorial.

It was helpful for us to register a youtube account with the same name as the website or product you are selling, anything that can show the user that this is your content and not just some 3rd party video you tossed on your site.
    I would agree if you are trying to sell something. As for me, I am just trying to drive traffic to my site. So showing up at the top of the serps with a nice little video thumb and description is my goal.

What's weird is that sometimes it will show my meta description for the page next to the thumb and other times it will show the video description next to the thumb. No idea why.

Yup, don't need a streaming server with .flv files, I use mosso. it's been great, a dream to work with.

Why not do both?

I also screwed up on the link before. reelseo.com is the site, great stuff.
    Last edited by zeninfinity; Jul 31st, 2009 at 05:49 PM.
  17. No Profile Picture

Here, I`d like to recommend Higosoft swf to mp4 converter to you.